↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Pop Top Roof
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 6 <123456
Print this entire topic · 
Andrew95

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Corris Grey
We were meeting up with friends this Sunday gone to do a hike in Yorkshire, the original plan was to camp up there and do something on Saturday, but when we saw how windy it was going to be overnight and no real plans we decided not to bother camping and just go up in the car in a day.

That left this Saturday to do a few more odd jobs.

One thing that's been a weird problem, for probably about two years now, is there is absolutely no power off boost i.e. moving off in first gear - its really noticeable when the engines cold. Normally it doesn't really present itself, but on those odd occasions that you have to do a (very) steep hill start on a road or leaving somewhere up a hill with a cold engine (i.e. laving a campsite). Its normally followed by clouds of black smoke and stalling the engine if I don't feather the clutch.

I have done the obvious fiddling with the fuel pump, and its helped, but not the huge difference I have been reading about. Speaking to someone at the overland meet up they mentioned that they had similar problem and there valve caps had worn. So I decided to open the rocker cover, can you spot what's wrong?

Click image to enlarge

The valve cap at the front of the photo is missing. Who knows where its gone! I think the last person to open the rocker cover was myself when I did the cylinder head change (it was quite a while ago) and I was anal about making sure the valve caps were there, so its disappeared sometime after that, I don't think anyone has been in there since.

I am amazed how it didn't make more noise, the actual clearance on the missing cap was still fairly small and the lock nut was tight so my guess is that its just disintegrated?

I haven't tried driving the truck since, but we will see if its made a difference. I am paranoid that I haven't done the rocker shaft bolts up correctly (I know I have), but its playing on my mind!
Post #1031601 15th Apr 2024 9:06am
Andrew95

It really feels like this year is escaping me, how is it mid May already! Were off to the Pyrenees in pretty much exactly a month now, so all hands on the final checks and changes.

The last week or so the land rover has been with our friend and mechanic in Mid Wales having a general 'health check' to make sure were all set. He changed one of the track rod ends as it was an advisory on the MOT, done a few small bits and also tuned the engine for us.

The engine tune was a big thing for me as its had a bit of a weird low power issue when off boost, I mentioned it in my previous post. When the engine is cold there is absolutely no power off boost when moving off in first gear from stationary, it normally presents itself at the worst possible moment like leaving a campsite uphill in the morning.... good way to wake everyone up I think not!

I spotted that one of the valve caps was missing which has made a big difference, after checking for blockages & leaks Lee also tuned the engine and turned up the fuel screw which seems to have helped (on his test runs he certainly thinks it has). I haven't really driven it much to find out, but it seems to have made a difference overall with a lot more power across the range but also less black smoke.

The problem is we have quite a sporty daily driver, so every time I get into the LR I think something is wrong / underpowered as it drives like a freight train (plot twist, that's exactly what it is!) and it take a while to get used to it.

Earlier in the year I set out a list of things we need to do to get the LR in top shape and also some that were needed to improve the usability of the truck, they were:

- Bonnet cable needs replacing (DONE)
    - Heater temperature cable needs replacing (DONE)
    - Windscreen wiper cable needs replacing (DONE)
    - Front brake discs (DONE)
    - Brake pads all around (DONE)
    - Horn does not work (DONE)
    - Pop up roof water leak (DONE)
    - New leisure battery (DONE)
    - Chassis rust treatment being done by Trek Overland (DONE)
    - Radio needs replacing as it intermittently works (DONE - see note below)
    - LED headlights & sidelights (DONE) - I wish I did this years ago
    - Carpet interior trim (DONE)

Additionally we have also:
- Fitted new tyres, I was hoping these would last for the Pyraneese, but there were a couple of deep cuts in them so best not to risk it).
- Full width intercooler, I am not sure if its made a huge difference in performance, but its certainly brought the EGTs down and reduced the smoke when you floor it.
- Fitted a tubular winch bumper, I know they are not to everyone's taste, but its something we have wanted for a while and one popped up in very good condition for a very reasonable price, so it seemed the opportune moment to get one. I am mid fitting this as I type as I am waiting on some longer bolts for the chassis rails. It was a surprising fiddle to fit.

There are still a few things that I haven't ticked off the list yet and they include:
    - Gas strut for rear door, I am going to do this at the same time as fitting the rear door drop down table. I am not sure if I have time before we head off, but its not that important.
    - Higher awning bracket, again I don't think I have time to sort these.
    - Steering damper bushes, these are actually in the shed, tonight's job maybe?

I think we are mostly set for our trip now, its mostly just packing and a few little touches to the camper - we have a bug net for the rear door which needs fitting (and probably modifying). We have also been given a Duvalay mattress topper, we haven't tried it out yet but my partner finds the foam too firm so hopefully this will be better for her. I think that's about it really? Just pushing on with bits between work.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1034690 14th May 2024 9:40am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Fabulous !!
looking forward to hearing about your trip soon !
Enjoy the journeys and adventures
Hope to see you both on the road sometime!
Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #1034723 14th May 2024 12:34pm
robbo22

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
She’s looking great Andrew! We might catch eachother in the Pyrennes! We’ll be in the area around 15-28 June!
Post #1034871 15th May 2024 9:06pm
Andrew95

We got back from our first 'proper' overseas trip the other day (does that mean I can call myself a cliché overlander now?). This one might be a it of a epic, so hold fast!

We have had an abroad trip on the cards for a year or so now, originally it was the Pyraneese by ourselves, then it was Romania with a group and then, for a few reasons, that fell through so we went to the Pyraneese with that group.

---

Before even packing our suitcase we had a huge issue. About a week before leaving we lost drive on the M54 after the rear Salisbury axle decided that after 240k miles it no longer wanted to be a team player. There is a few different reasons why this might have happened, but that's a whole separate post and we were where we were.

The chap who does most of our 'heavy' work put in shift after shift, often 6am to midnight and beyond. But sadly he couldn't get it rebuilt in time. So he went out and bought a whole new (old) axle, swapped all of our running gear over and at about 8pm on the Thursday (we were leaving on the Friday morning) he dropped the land rover back with us - I have never seen someone look so tired, we owe you many pints and favours!

It came with the warning that he had accidentally tightened the pinion bolt too much to stop an oil leak and it had a whine but was in his opinion fine to drive. By the time I dropped him back home it was around 11pm. The whine was playing on my mind so I took it for a test drive up the road - it sounded awful!

We needed to decided if we were going or not. On the quiet I get quite stressed and anxious, I hide it well, but sometimes I do get triggered and this was one of these moments. I have never had a panic attack before - but I honestly think this is how it must feel. A sort of out of body, out of control, experience, it was horrible. I couldn't do anything, but I also couldn't sit still.

I honestly didn't know if we should go or not and was so torn. Breaking down in the UK is one thing, miles from anywhere in Spain is another. I needed someone to make that decision, but I had to make it, and I just couldn't. At around 1am I started to pack which helped take my mind off things and work things through in my head. The thought was drive to the ferry port, and if its too bad, we can just come home.

After a sleepless night worrying, I decided that it would be best to take the rear prop and half shafts off and go down in 2WD and then put it back into 4WD for the slow (off roading) sections. I checked with everyone in my phone who knew anything about landrover and they all agreed that was the best thing to do and they would do similar.

It was also a bit of a worry that it would be unfair on the rest of the group to knowingly take a truck that is not 100% on the trip - so I spoke to the person organising it and he made us feel a lot better that they both wanted us to come and that it wouldn't be an issue. So a plan was hatched, and we spent the next few hours panic packing!

---

Half the group met at ours and we drove down together. I had to wipe my hands ever so often as they were so clammy with worry and apprehension! But we made it. Well we didn't, we missed the ferry due to standstill traffic on the M40. We could have got a late night ferry but it would have put us in France with nowhere to sleep and probably quite tired in the early hours of the morning. So we got the first boat out the next day which gave us a fresh start.

---

Once in France it was a clean run all the way to the meting point. When we got closer and the roads got steeper and more twisty I noticed that occasionally the front drivers CV would clunk, which added to the worry. Talking to another member later on that night (with vast mechanical knowledge) he said he was not surprised that the CV was clunking as there is a lot of strain being put through it in 2WD and even a small bit of play in each driving component can add up and that it will be fine if I just drive steady and worst case he had a spare I could use anyway.

Taking onboard his advice of being steady and gentle we drove with everyone else to Andorra. Without a single clunk! Its amazing what being steady can do. I was gaining more confidence that we might actually make it at this point!

In the camp site that night we had rains that would make Noah proud. The campsite for a time even started to flood - perfect time to fit the propshaft and half shafts ready for a day on the lanes tomorrow!

---

The following day we headed over into Spain via the smugglers route. Just the scenery of that first lane alone made the stress of the trip worth while. We were treating each day at a time and decided that if all else fails, we can go back to 2WD and meet the group at the campsite each evening and go hiking and rock climbing instead.

Every time we stopped I would check the temperature of the rear differential just to make sure it wasn't cooking and not leaked oil.

Towards the evening we crossed Cap del Muntanyo at slightly over 2000m, an amazing experience to go from the warm nice weather down below and slowly climb up into the clouds before rolling down again.

Over the course of the day we had great fun but I think everyone though everyone else was planning the trip! So that night we had a sit down to decide the rest of the route & plan. As it happened we had the vibication (SP) route as we had planned to do this ourselves, so we decided to follow that which worked really well.

The remainder of the trip we gradually headed west, along the Sierra de Olson, Sierra de Guara and Sierra de Loarre ranges before doing a loop around the Bardenas Reales - as a geologist, that was an amazing day seeing all the structures.

From here we headed back into the Pyraneese and across the border before finally finishing up at a small French town and heading to Bilbao for the ferry the following day.

---

Overall it was a brilliant trip with brilliant people. Touch wood the car was faultless (well until we got home and I think the fast UK motorway has caused a bit of an oil leak from the diff) and I am so glad we went.

Its been our first trip abroad both in our own car and in the landrover so was an exciting opportunity. Certainly given us both a lot more confidence for future trips abroad and we have already started planning to go back to the eastern Pyraneese (we missed most of this out) next year for my birthday.

---

The biggest problem now is deciding what we should do with the land rover. Had you asked me before we went I was quite happy to roll it down to the scrap yard. Its been a serious test over the last couple of years - we have spent obscene amounts of money on it, new transfer box, the roof conversion, now the rear axle - and they have all gone wrong.

But having come back, I have to begrudgingly say I really enjoyed it.... it just wouldn't have been the same trip in any other vehicle. And over the years its taken us to some amazing places and we have met some brilliant people.

So the question which still remains is what to do. I think for a while it will stay, I don't think I am quite done. But long term I don't know, everything seems to be an uphill battle and I am not sure if I want that. But also to start afresh (with what?) would potentially be a mistake with the unknown.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1038276 24th Jun 2024 3:21pm
L110CDL

England 
Thank you for the great epic intro which was great to read. Glad you went after all of your issue's and you both thoroughly enjoyed it Thumbs Up

As for the decision on your land rover, the only thing i can say is " better the devil you know "

Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up.

Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1038313 24th Jun 2024 9:00pm
Andrew95

@L110CDL thanks for that, we absolutely loved it. When we first bought it 5/6 years ago now it was always our intention to do trips like that but life, covid, money etc. all get in the way, but its really sparked our sense of adventure for going abroad in the truck.
Post #1038848 1st Jul 2024 11:08am
Andrew95

We got back from Billing Show yesterday, had a really good weekend on the Adventure Overland Group Stand. Had loads of interest in the truck and how it was converted which was nice, I think I could have sold the interior several times over! Watching the off road course was as entertaining as ever. Talking to a few friends who own a trade stand they were saying it was quite quiet sales wise.

Coming back from both the show and the Pyrenees trip has left us with a nice long list of things to do & improve, naturally money is the big factor at the moment (were heading off to Morocco (not with the truck) later in the year) so I don't think any of them will get done particularly quickly.

Things were hoping to do fairly soon:
    - Our (original) axle has been rebuilt with a torque biasing differential, so we need to find time to pop down and fit that.
    - The drivers window is a bit of a pain to close if you don't do it perfectly inline, so (probably tonight) I will take the door card off and have an investigation.
    - Something behind the dash is rattling really badly off road and also something is making a funny clicking noise (I think its the speedometer as it jumps around all over the place?)
    - We have bought a basic curtain (we couldn't buy the material for the price of buying one...) that we are hoping to fit behind the front seats, it will be a lot easier to use than the stick on window blinds and hopefully keep the dust down a bit when off road.
    - All sorts of paint touch ups and small bits.
    - There is a gap between the rear door / vehicle body and the 270 awning when open. Alucab make a rain gutter for this but I think I can do both better and cheaper so going to use some c-channel on the body and make a little filling piece. While we are at it we might also make a small tarpaulin to fit into it as we don't really bother with the awning much, but it would be nice to have a small 'porch' area so we can leave the back door open when its raining without getting totally soaked inside.

Things we will do in the future:
    - The vehicle has just done over 240k miles. The transfer box went last year, the rear axle this year.... everything is probably worn out. So over the next year or two I want to replace both the front diff (with a torque bias) and the gearbox just so we have a fresh start and can sort it in our own time rather than failing on us. A friend owns an auto 300tdi defender and loves it, possibly toying with the idea of making it an auto, but I doubt it, the cons seem to outweigh the pros!
    - I would like to do some sort of roof solar. I am still 50:50 on stick down vs ridged panels. Stick down would be easier and lower profile but I have heard that they can get too hot.
    - This will probably be done over time, but I would like to upgrade to Gwyn Lewis suspension (probably using OME springs & shocks)

There is all sorts of other bits on the list too, but there the main things. The biggest problem is finding the time to have all the adventures! Who thought work was a good idea!
Post #1038854 1st Jul 2024 11:36am
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Speedo rattling maybe the cable has snapped. Mine jumped about a lot before it finally gave up completely. They're not dear. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #1038858 1st Jul 2024 12:28pm
Andrew95

@sako243 it was replaced only a few months ago as it started sticking and he had the dash out to do something else. It works fine now just jumps a lot. The guy who did it said at the time about it and warned that it was X in the speedo doing it (I am annoyed with myself as I totally forgot what he said).

There is a super annoying clicking behind the dash, which has only just started, I think its the speedo? So I am going to take it all apart and spray a bit of oil down the cable. My understanding is that they are fairly basic things so I might just see if another cable solves the problem (might be a faulty one).
Post #1038937 2nd Jul 2024 10:21am
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Routing of the cable is fairly crucial. Mine bounces about a bit and then it I straighten out the bends it's better for a while until it moves again. Basically the replacement cables aren't as good as the original in my opinion and bind up easily. The old one has a stiffer feel to the sheath. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #1038943 2nd Jul 2024 11:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 6 <123456