↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > V8 P525 Area (L663) > V8 Exhaust Rattle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
carpathian71

V8 Exhaust Rattle
I purchased a P525 a few weeks ago and have around 2000 miles on it. It makes a very annoying, metallic buzzing sound at various points in the rev range. Typically, just over 30 mph, but can also be heard when accelerating/slowing at low revs. Took it to the dealer who diagnosed a rattle in the resonator and ordered and installed a new one. They say the new one does it too, as does another V8 on their lot. They have opened a case with LR but I’m not hopeful that this will lead to a resolution. The noise is distracting and very obvious. Seems to get worse with more miles and is more obvious at lower revs. To be clear, I fully expected pops and burbles and the v8’s exhaust sound - it’s why I bought the truck - but this sounds totally different and faulty.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Short of a resonator delete (not an option for me), any ideas? If ‘they all do it’, I’m surprised none of the reviews or forums seem to mention it. I’m loving the car otherwise, but right now it sounds like it’s broken and the dealership has no resolution. I don’t feel I can keep a $155k car that sounds defective. Cheers.
Post #1032975 26th Apr 2024 7:56pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Would an aftermarket option be possible? Failing that, probably best to deal with a LR dealer directly, and seeing as I presume it’s new, they owe you answers until it is right.

Without going into great depth, is there any close alignment of the exhaust to another part or any loose heat shield or anything? In the vicinity that might cause the resonating behaviour of the exhaust.

It could be an internal baffle that is rattling, and if that is the case I might suggest it is a manufacturing issue.

Hope you find a solution. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1032980 26th Apr 2024 8:28pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
Mine doesn’t make this noise. There has been some history with other variants where heat shields have caused this sort of noise.
Post #1033043 27th Apr 2024 12:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1