↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma Recall N706; Front axle case flange reinforcement brkts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I don’t understand why you don’t just fit them yourself if you’re so worried about it?

Dealers are mostly incompetent.
Post #1021857 20th Jan 2024 9:21am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I think the fact that they are virtually unobtainable at present has some bearing on that.
Post #1021866 20th Jan 2024 10:48am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
MK wrote:
Made of cheese?

Click image to enlarge

They are not made of cheese...they are made of Unobtainium Rolling with laughter
Post #1021868 20th Jan 2024 11:16am
Very Rural

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Aintree Green
Retroanaconda wrote:
I don’t understand why you don’t just fit them yourself if you’re so worried about it?

Dealers are mostly incompetent.

The problem with fitting them myself is that I cannot then remove the JLR 'outstanding recall' from their database. Also, I live in a totally off-road location, nowhere is level, & would have to lie on the ground in mud, sheep-poo & stones to fit them, and of course pay for the privilege!
Post #1021876 20th Jan 2024 12:17pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
It really is appalling that the dealer won’t remove the bolt(s) and reinsert it the correct way around as part of the job, it only adds a few minutes to the job and they have spent more time pontificating about it then it would have taken to do !

if I were not so far away I would reorientate the bolts into the correct position for you, it would not take long. Then you could get the LR dealer to confirm they will now do it and book it in.

I wonder if another member is close by that would do it for you, probably at theirs so they are not laying in sheep poo and mud Very Happy

Else if there is a proper old school garage near by I’m sure once you explained how badly you have been treated by LR they would reorientate the bolts for £20-£30 or less for cash. A helpful farmer friend would likely do it for free.
Post #1021902 20th Jan 2024 2:43pm
Very Rural

Thanks,

A few years ago, I would have done the job myself, I am quite used to working on vehicles, & in the past carried out most of the work on my various Land-rovers.
Age now having got the better of me, and with painful arthritic hands, it's not something I want to be doing up here (800'ASL) in the very cold wind!
Having just spent a small fortune on the chassis replacement, I had hoped everything would go more smoothly. I've also just recently in the summer, fitted the Glyn Lewis full mud-shield kits, which hopefully will extend the life of the new chassis.
So the recall & subsequent issues are beginning to be annoying. I have just sent an email to the company that fitted the galvanised chassis, so that they won't make the same mistake of fitting the bolts incorrectly, again. I can't go back to them, as they are even further away in Axminster, Devon.

I Will take the 110 to my local garage, I know that they can do it.
It's strange, because when I took the 110 to the first main dealership for the recall, they gave me a printed certification, that they had fitted the brackets...! It was only when I took the vehicle to my local garage, & we both looked at the 'missing. non-existent' brackets that I took a picture of the front axle to prove to the Main Dealer he was lying. It was only after that I was told that the dealer couldn't fit them because of the new chassis.

You do wonder if these main dealers would know what a con-rod was, if it hit them in the face! Still with service charges of £110 per hour they don't need to know.
Post #1021918 20th Jan 2024 5:09pm
Very Rural

Still getting nowhere, so I need to purchase the brackets & take it from there, as every dealer is still refusing to do the job..

Sorry if I'm asking a previously answered question:
Does anyone know the part numbers for these 'sticking-plaster' brackets please.

Thanks,

David.
Post #1022301 23rd Jan 2024 5:53pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I thought the dealer would fit if the bolts were the correct way round ?

From another topic on the same subject.

However they are hard to come by and more expensive now

blackwolf wrote:
LR90XS2011 wrote:
does anyone know the part number for the brackets

LR068818 LH bracket, LR068822 RH bracket. Regular price c.�50 each but there is at least one pair on eBay at present for c.�30 each.
Post #1022303 23rd Jan 2024 6:15pm
Very Rural

Thanks,
I going for a belt& braces approach, armed with the p/no's just in case I have to get the job done outside of the recall.
Post #1022305 23rd Jan 2024 6:25pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Frankly I don't really know why people even deal with "brand" dealerships for anything other than purchase of a vehicle and warranties. They are mostly incompetent outside of their main purpose which is to sell new cars. My experience has been almost exclusively poor LR or otherwise.

LR has clearly shown to be not interested in recalls of older cars. If you can't do the work yourself find a good local garage. The recall notice being open on the vehicle is academic, no one cares and if you fitted the brackets you are 'covered' regardless

Personally I would not fit the brackets but instead hunt down a used front axle and swap/rebuild. Did that recently on my 2001 as the axle was bend ( turned out to be the stub axle actually) and did not find it particularly hard. Both axles were friction welded btw so not the reason.
Post #1022306 23rd Jan 2024 6:41pm
Disneysland

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Hi, I recently bought my defender, a ‘59 plate’ 90. The chassis and basically everything underneath is crumbly, after being only used on salted snow roads and never washed.

I have bought some 2010? replacement axles as mine were too crusty to refurbish. The replacements are very good, and will make the new chassis swap much easier.

My question is, how do I know if the new axles are from the faulty batch? The front has the number 44M the rear 58S, but I don’t know what chassis number they are from, so can’t check against the recall.

Is there a visible check for the axles that are faulty? Does anyone know if the 44M is affected. I know they are from a 90, so potentially not affected, but I would like to know and may fit the safety brackets just in case, whilst it’s all in bits.

Sorry if this has been asked, but the axle isn’t listed on the file, to cross check against the chassis numbers. and I haven’t picked up anything on the long thread that I’ve read a number of times.
Post #1032790 25th Apr 2024 11:54am
blackwolf

It is easy to tell visually whether the axle is friction-welded or MIG welded, however there is as far as I know no way at all to tell if it is a good MIG axle or a dangerous MIG axle.

I suggest the only guaranteed safe course of action is to ensure that you use a friction-welded axle. I would certainly not run any MIG axle of unknown origin without the catch brackets.

(Edited for spelling)

Last edited by blackwolf on 25th Apr 2024 5:14pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1032802 25th Apr 2024 1:39pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Disneysland wrote:

I know they are from a 90, so potentially not affected, but I would like to know and may fit the safety brackets just in case, whilst it’s all in bits.

Thats what JLR wanted the general public to believe. The same front axle case was used on the Defender range.

Post a picture here of the swivel flange weld, and I am sure you will get a reply in a matter of minutes.
Thumbs Up 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1032809 25th Apr 2024 3:16pm
blackwolf

Front axles across the range are all affected, the only reason the 90 wasn't originally recalled was because JLR figured, incorrectly as it turns out, that the lower MAM of the 90 meant the axle wouldn't break. Axles on 90s break just as readily as any of the others.
Post #1032820 25th Apr 2024 5:12pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
mine was booked in for in Oct, they didnt have the parts so cancelled. Have just messaged to say it can go in to have the work done in Jun! Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #1032825 25th Apr 2024 6:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>