↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Disabling TD5 Traction Control
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
I had "problems" with TC in Discovery 2 only in deep snow and deep sand - it was necessary to give it more gas, because combined resistance of deep snow and TC braking was too much. So small move back and a bit more gas was all that was needed. Sand or deep snow requires lot of engine power, and TD5 is not overpowered. Now with 3 lockers I use TC lighs as indicator, that I had to swich on some lockers already.
ABS on slippery icy hill is somethink really terrible, but this is not only LR problem. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #1032118 19th Apr 2024 9:56am
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
jst wrote:
Some interesting comments here, shows who really off roads hard rather than muddy field, gravel track stuff.

Very much so. I suppose I am talking from experience of the more extreme end of the spectrum rather than the basic day to day.

There is also a reason that many other cars have the ability to turn the TC off, because sometimes you dont want or need it.

I personally have only driven a 90 pov spec TD5, 110 TD5 with TC, pov 110 TD5, 110 tdci off road. All in the same conditions so its not throttle cut.

Most notable and recent was Red Lane in Wales. Did 3 runs in my old D2 rear & middle locked with TC required much more throttle input ad I could feel the TC was over working and causing resistance, requiring more throttle input. You could feel when the TC stops at the end of some areas of the track.

Same run with TC off. Far less throttle needed just let the thing drive, felt much more control and much less throttle.

Went again with nothing locked and just TC made it about 10 meters before totally stuck 🤣

All im saying is the TD5 TC isnt exactly advanced, sometimes its easier without.

In the same way track driving is often easier and more controlled without "driving aids" Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #1032126 19th Apr 2024 11:12am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
TC is an incredible tool to have in your toolbox, but it is not fix-all people expect it to be. And especially when you find yourself swivel balls deep in mud or sand. Having the ability to turn it off would be something that I would do too, if I had TC on Miffy. I have often used the off button in the Freelander 2 and it does help, but only to a point. As with the ATB diffs that are so popular TC is only as good as the amount of traction you have. Zero traction - Zero well traction and no amount of TC is going to help Rolling Eyes
Post #1032128 19th Apr 2024 11:42am
LET'S OFF-ROAD

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Keswick Green
Re: Disabling TD5 Traction Control
Bishbosh wrote:
I am thinking about fitting a switch ( as seen on Pumas) to disable the TC on my TD5 110.

I am thinking about doing this on my TD5 although it doesn't get as much off road use as my Puma.

The Stability Control dash switch you describe on the Puma does not turn it off completely, driving on wet roads when you get into a slide it will still kick in, just later than if you don't turn it off.

The main reason I had the switch installed in the Puma was to disable the ABS as it can act strangely and actually stop the brakes from working and let you roll back an alarming amount in a failed hill climb.
For example if you are wheel-spinning near the top of a hill and have to abort the climb and stamp on the brakes to hold your position, the ABS will not let you lock the wheels and will let you roll back down the hill a bit which can be a big problem.

I do think the Puma TC sometimes stops you from accelerating too and spinning the wheels which is why I just turn it off completely and use my diff lockers instead to completely rule that out.
Post #1032129 19th Apr 2024 11:44am
bankz5152

geobloke wrote:
TC is an incredible tool to have in your toolbox, but it is not fix-all people expect it to be. And especially when you find yourself swivel balls deep in mud or sand. Having the ability to turn it off would be something that I would do too, if I had TC on Miffy. I have often used the off button in the Freelander 2 and it does help, but only to a point. As with the ATB diffs that are so popular TC is only as good as the amount of traction you have. Zero traction - Zero well traction and no amount of TC is going to help Rolling Eyes

100% agree with both of the above. Sometime you want to spin the tyres aggressively - i.e to clear the treads from clay etc.. Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #1032131 19th Apr 2024 12:04pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
geobloke wrote:
I have often used the off button in the Freelander 2 and it does help, but only to a point.

Can you actually turn the TC off in a Freelander 2? I know you can turn the Stability control off and have the TR modes. Not done any off roading in one of these before.
Post #1032385 22nd Apr 2024 10:19am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
bankz5152 wrote:

Most notable and recent was Red Lane in Wales. Did 3 runs in my old D2 rear & middle locked with TC required much more throttle input ad I could feel the TC was over working and causing resistance,

Crying or Very sad Neutral

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1032388 22nd Apr 2024 10:46am
bankz5152

Thanks for trying to call me out but it was start of summer 2022.

I have since sold that D2 and bought another 110, I havnt reinstalled the TC off switch yet as I havnt been doing much off roading. Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #1032396 22nd Apr 2024 12:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12