↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Puma 2.4 Exhaust / Turbo Heat Shields Help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jcw

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Puma 2.4 Exhaust / Turbo Heat Shields Help
As the exhaust & turbo heat shields were missing on my 2007 2.4 TDCI when I bought it, I decided to buy the various parts and have attempted to fit this afternoon.

The upper bracket & upper heat shield have gone on without too much trouble, however the two bottom bolts of the more rigid lower shield (No.5. in the parts diagram) don’t seem to have anywhere to fix to, I wonder if I’m missing another bracket (although nothing shown on the parts diagram) or if the exhaust is non-standard in some way?

I’ve searched the forum but can’t find any posts that cover this, although general consensus is the shields aren’t really needed, but as I have them and am already part way through fitting, I’d prefer to finish the job if I can.

Here’s the parts diagram and some photos of where I’ve got to, any help or even better photos of the fixing arrangement of the bottom section of the lower shield would be a great help 👍

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by jcw on 21st Apr 2024 4:33pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1032320 21st Apr 2024 4:25pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It looks to me as though a previous owner has removed the catalytic converter and fitted a decat pipe instead. As far as I recall the two setscrews should fit into brackets on the cat.
Post #1032322 21st Apr 2024 4:32pm
jcw

Thanks Blackwolf - I did wonder if it’s a non-standard exhaust, also spotted this section half way along which isn’t shown on the standard exhaust parts diagram, looks like a cat to me but not in the standard location to support the lower heat shield?

I may try to knock up some suitable brackets rather than remove the shields Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge
Post #1032324 21st Apr 2024 4:44pm
blackwolf

Yes, that is non-standard, and you also don't seem to have the standard giant silencer alongside the transfer box.

Worth keeping the shields if you can, since they tend to camouflage the fact that you have a decatted (and hence technically illegal) vehicle.
Post #1032334 21st Apr 2024 6:23pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I think you were right to fit the shields anyway, LR wouldn’t have included them if they didn’t serve their purpose in my opinion.
They only rattle if bent out of shape or loose, sometimes they get bent too close the other components and that is what causes a rattle due to insufficient clearance. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1032343 21st Apr 2024 8:41pm
blackwolf

They're probably not necessary on a decatted vehicle but certainly do no harm, and do tend to obfuscate the lack of cat. Catalytic converters do run extremely hot.
Post #1032361 21st Apr 2024 10:25pm
jcw

I was thinking that without the standard cat, the lower shield isn’t performing any heat deflecting function, albeit does provide a rigid fixing for the more flexible upper shield which otherwise flaps around, assuming I can find a way of securing the lower section.

I also like Blackwolf’s point it suggests a standard catted exhaust!

Ironically, it took an absolute age to find the lower shield, LR had no stock / on long term back order but a new one eventually popped up on eBay.

I’m keen to identify the exhaust now, it looks off the shelf opposed custom made. I’ve not spotted any markings but will have a proper look at all the sections.
Post #1032369 22nd Apr 2024 7:16am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
The upper shield will sit fine without the lower attached and won’t rattle unless it’s been damaged. Otherwise as you said, a simple homemade bracket will do the job of fixing it in place. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #1032387 22nd Apr 2024 10:37am
jcw

Thanks Zed, had a root about in my box of odds & sods and found a suitable bracket (a rear door hinge inner bracket as it happens) and with a quick bend in the vice at the right point, it’s fitted and secured one side of the lower shield, holding everything nicely away from any contact points, so no rattling.

I’ll look to make something up for the other side too but for now, it’s all good 👍

Click image to enlarge
Post #1032390 22nd Apr 2024 11:03am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Nice work. I guess for piece of mind/doing it right it would be good to fit the other bracket but I doubt you will have any issues just with the one fitted. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #1032393 22nd Apr 2024 11:42am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1