Home > Td5 > Disabling TD5 Traction Control
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Bishbosh

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Tangiers Orange
Disabling TD5 Traction Control
Hi all,

I am thinking about fitting a switch ( as seen on Pumas) to disable the TC on my TD5 110. I think there are times when off road that it is beneficial to disable it and I have also discovered that winch assist driving results in a locked wheel per axle which kind of works against the winch somewhat!

Anyhow, what I would like to know from you learned lot is has anyone done it? I know there is a kit available from Pace (https://pace4x4.com/shop/ols/products/defe...ctable-kit) but that seems like a lot of money for a switch a relay and a bit of wire!

I know you can just pull out a fuse but I'd like something a little more refined! Very Happy

Would be interested in your thoughts and experiences.
Post #1031890 17th Apr 2024 4:51pm
4RF RDS

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
I have that switch system installed in my 99 110 CSW Td5. I have disabled the TC a few times and was able to spin out of the low traction situation. If you off road enough it can be valuable. I also paid considerably less years ago when they first launched it… (less the switch itself as I was using the older switch style). Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
2003 Range Rover Mk III (Desmond FitzWilliam)
2000 Defender 110 CSW TD5 (CTX)
1992 Range Rover Classic (Lizzy)
1972 Series III 300 Tdi (Stanwood)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Post #1031893 17th Apr 2024 5:01pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Buy a fuse piggy back. Fit that into the ABS fuse, run that to a switch. Turns TC on and off but also disables ABS.

Basically mimicing removing the fuse. Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #1031948 18th Apr 2024 6:58am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
4RF RDS wrote:
I have that switch system installed in my 99 110 CSW Td5. I have disabled the TC a few times and was able to spin out of the low traction situation. If you off road enough it can be valuable. I also paid considerably less years ago when they first launched it… (less the switch itself as I was using the older switch style). Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Not sure how you have been able to "spin" out of a situation with TCS off. The TCS does not kill the throttle and will let the wheels spin just fine...... Question
Post #1031991 18th Apr 2024 11:01am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Re: Disabling TD5 Traction Control
Bishbosh wrote:
Hi all,

I am thinking about fitting a switch ( as seen on Pumas) to disable the TC on my TD5 110. I think there are times when off road that it is beneficial to disable.

Interested to know what these times are? Thanks.
Post #1031992 18th Apr 2024 11:02am
bankz5152

Sand, snow, gravel or if you have lockers

With lockers the TC will fight the locked diff in extreme circumstances lead to a snapped shaft, blown CV.

In sand especially TC is a hindrance as if you loose traction or momentum you get stuck.

Got to remember the Defender TC is very basic and rudimentary nothing like the terrain response systems Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #1031995 18th Apr 2024 11:23am
4RF RDS

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
πŸ‘†πŸ» that πŸ‘ŒπŸ» 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
2003 Range Rover Mk III (Desmond FitzWilliam)
2000 Defender 110 CSW TD5 (CTX)
1992 Range Rover Classic (Lizzy)
1972 Series III 300 Tdi (Stanwood)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Post #1032009 18th Apr 2024 2:36pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
bankz5152 wrote:
With lockers the TC will fight the locked diff in extreme circumstances lead to a snapped shaft, blown CV.

Surely not, unless you means LSD/ATBD rather than full lockers?

With full lockers locked all wheels must rotate at the same speed so the TC cannot activate since it cannot detect wheelspin.
Post #1032022 18th Apr 2024 4:18pm
bankz5152

If you have the middle & rear locked or just rear locked the fronts can still spin causing potential issues.

With LSDs/ ATBs TC is excellent near enough locks the axle when the TC is active Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #1032026 18th Apr 2024 4:27pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
bankz5152 wrote:
Sand, snow, gravel or if you have lockers

In sand especially TC is a hindrance as if you loose traction or momentum you get stuck.

Got to remember the Defender TC is very basic and rudimentary nothing like the terrain response systems

I'd probably disagree with all of that tbh....

If you have lockers the TCS shouldn't kick in at all, as there will be no wheel slip. The TCS only works across an axle, so in order to activate would need a large differential speed from the left and right wheels. With lockers this will NEVER happen unless your locker is broken anyhow. Whistle

As for sand or snow, the TCS will help make all 4 wheels spin, keeping you straighter and more even wheel speed. Remember the system on a Defender won't be killing the throttle, it isn't a stability control like you get on road cars or on latter LRs with Terrain Response (where you often need to manually turn the stability control off). Meaning the situations you describe should not be happening or even possible.

And while the Defender system is more basic, it is still quite clever. It has different throttle profiles for high and low range built into the system. Which is one of the things that the latter Terrain Response also does. The resolution of the system isn't as good and will need more slip to get it to work and more revs. The Puma is better than the Td5's in this regard, but neither as good as a Disco 3 and will need more wheel slip, but they are highly effective.

The only downsides to the TCS is, if used excessively the system will shut down with the overheat warning for the brakes. But in such a scenario you just end up with regular open diff performance. The system will automatically reactivate. But this would be no reason to want to turn it off fully.

If you use the TCS a lot it can wear the brakes more quickly, but this is true even on latter Terrain Response models.

The last thing isn't really TCS, but is ABS related. That on very slippery surfaces the ABS will prevent you stopping the vehicle, on very wet muddy grass the vehicle can almost continually slide with the ABS clicking away if on a downhill. This is really the main reason you may want to turn ABs off.

But I can't think of a single off road scenario where the vehicle would perform better without the TCS being active.
Post #1032031 18th Apr 2024 5:00pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
bankz5152 wrote:
If you have the middle & rear locked or just rear locked the fronts can still spin causing potential issues.

How? Or rather, what issues? As said above, the TCS only works across and axle, so one front wheel spinning will only activate the TCS on the front axle, the rear having a locker makes no odds, as even without a lock you could have traction on both rear wheels.
Post #1032032 18th Apr 2024 5:01pm
bankz5152

All makes sens on paper. However ive had TC come on with the middle and rear locked (D2) applying the brakes and causing loss of momentum, then as soon as im free of the slop brakes release/TC is off and speed is greatly increased without additional throttle input.

On many many many occasions on sand with TC on hills have been more difficult and required more throttle input than with just rear/middle locked or just middle locked.

In a 110 & D2.

Also watch the TDCis struggle up the same sandy hills when non TC Td5s make it without issue. Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #1032054 18th Apr 2024 6:57pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Some interesting comments here, shows who really off roads hard rather than muddy field, gravel track stuff. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #1032082 18th Apr 2024 9:40pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
bankz5152 wrote:
All makes sens on paper. However ive had TC come on with the middle and rear locked (D2) applying the brakes and causing loss of momentum, then as soon as im free of the slop brakes release/TC is off and speed is greatly increased without additional throttle input.

I hear what you are saying, but that isn't how the TCS works, if the rear axle was locked, the TCS would only be working on the front axle. Which would mean one wheel spinning quicker than the other. It would only apply the brakes to the spinning wheel, not both of them and would not be doing anything on the rear brakes. It really shouldn't be loosing momentum apart from frictional drag of more wheels having traction, rather than spinning freely. Engine revs might drop, because the vehicle is doing more. Just in the same way that with open diffs and no TCS you can rev the engine freely and spin diagonally opposite wheels with little resistance if cross axled.

bankz5152 wrote:

On many many many occasions on sand with TC on hills have been more difficult and required more throttle input than with just rear/middle locked or just middle locked.

Are you sure you weren't in a vehicle with stability control of some kind?

?si=7A85lq3hv4DCDdBb

bankz5152 wrote:

Also watch the TDCis struggle up the same sandy hills when non TC Td5s make it without issue.

tbh while typing this out I honestly cannot recall if a Puma has a form of stability control or not, can it cut the throttle? The Td5 doesn't nor p38 era 4 channel TCS.

Here is my p38 4.6 on some very slippery wet muddy grass. From a standstill cross axled position the 4 channel TCS enabled it to spin all 4 wheels without bogging down and climb the hill.

?si=XapnbjTfU--vNgUP
Post #1032113 19th Apr 2024 9:37am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
jst wrote:
Some interesting comments here, shows who really off roads hard rather than muddy field, gravel track stuff.

I assume that snipe is aimed at me?

I admit I don't drive sand dunes very often, not too many around here. But I've off roaded plenty and I'd say more than just mild gravel tracks.

This is the sort of thing I do off road:
?si=8Xy032Hc03PibU4R
Post #1032116 19th Apr 2024 9:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>