↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma 2.2 UltraGauge not reading values (intake temp, EGR)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BrunoJ

Norway 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Puma 2.2 UltraGauge not reading values (intake temp, EGR)
Decide to start new topic, although there are some similar already.
I have issues with reading some values in my Puma 2.2 '12, using UltraGauge.
Specifically - I cannot read EGR load and EGR error (zeros). Also my InTake Air Temp is just -40C (however, here sometimes is starts from -30C or so, then move to -40 after few seconds and keeps that while riding.
Both reading are the same from the moment I bought the UG (which is already couple of years).
My UG version is 14c, while some descriptions here refers to older one. Cannot refer now, but I found somewhere info that UG can cause some issues while reading values, so car can be completely ok and just values are not presented correctly. Due to that, I asked some time ago the LR service specifically to verify intake air temp values, and they told it is find on their computer.

EGR has been replaces in the past, and also electrical connection has been verified, as they caused some errors on the connector. So potentially it still could be something with connections (But then I would expect some errors, like i experienced in the past, when connector was not insulated properly).

MAF/temp sensor not replaced, MAF cleaned twice during that period. I recently got and check engine, which disappeared after few runs, then pop up again. P0113 - so MAF/air temp sensor (circuit closed). It happened after very humid evening, then freezing overnight. So something could get frozen...

After erasing this error with UG, it never come again, from few weeks now. I have now UG connected permanently, to monitor it, as well as I planned to observe the temp values. But they shows -40 (with exceptions as above). MAF load seems to work well and shows values within proper range. I'm sure I had this -40 in the past as well. No other related errors last few years.

Two questions here - Can someone experienced similar issue - having UG not reading properly values of Intake Air Temp and EGR, while they are working correctly? Or should I definitely have a look and try to find wiring issue, or sensor issues? I didn't see any loose connection or broken cables, at least at the MAF area.

EDITED:
just played with UG this afternoon again.
EGR load: 0 (constant)
EGR % error: -100 (constant)
also no 'chucca, chucca' after the ride, unless I cannot hear it from the cabin.

InTake Air Temp 1: most of the time -40C, except directly after stop, then it change to -38 or so
Amb Air Temp: -40C (constant)
UG temp: starts from ambient temp, then move to +30C or so. After blowing aircon quite long, I managed to decrease it into +24 (only!?)

Not sure that helps.
Post #1030200 2nd Apr 2024 2:54pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Have you looked at the green coloured “Air charge sensor” on the metal pipe between the output of the intercooler and the inlet manifold, part number LR032216

That’s what LR call it but in reality I think it’s an Air Charge Temperature Sensor.

Listed as part 8 on this diagram https://www.lrworkshop.com/diagrams/land-r...es_2.2tdci

Re your other post on this issue
Also IIRC another member had a similar issue with their 2.2 and was investigating whether the Carburettor Throttle Body, part 3 in the diagram, was sticking and not fully opening.

PPS the EGR doing its chugging does not happen after every stop of the engine, but if it never happens then there is an issue. Normally an EGR issue will create a DTC.
Post #1030234 2nd Apr 2024 6:01pm
BrunoJ

Thanks I'll check it.
Post #1030237 2nd Apr 2024 6:07pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
On the 2.4 the air temp sensor is in the MAF. The 2.2 has two air temp sensors, one in the MAF, the other being the one I highlighted earlier in the pipe after the intercooler output. Your scan gauge may only be reading the MAF based one , that’s just a guess by the way.

On transit forums for the 2.2 engine we have there are several posts on the separate green sensor going faulty, especially after a cold spell or if it gets contaminated, resulting in similar problems to the ones you have had. A replacement is not expensive, a ford one being cheaper than a LR boxed one. So perhaps worth a try for circa £15.
Post #1030241 2nd Apr 2024 6:36pm
BrunoJ

I just saw number of posts or screenshots with UltraGauge presenting InTake Air Temp correctly. Some of them are indeed in 2.4, but I believe also 2.2.
I still wonder - if temp sensor is not working correctly - what is the impact no how engine works? No errors nor some odd engine behaviour? Looks like I use the car like that last few years...
Post #1030245 2nd Apr 2024 6:43pm
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
I am using an Ultra Gauge on my 2.2 TDCi.

I have it set up to show:

Ambient temp
Engine temp
Oil temp
Cat temp
EGR demand %
Battery voltage

All working just fine.
Post #1030837 7th Apr 2024 1:47pm
BrunoJ

I'm quite surprised about the solution for my problem. Some magic happened Smile
As discussed in separate thread, I had some doubts about MAF, then find out I had incorrect one installed (from older MY). I managed to replace it with new, proper part and... bingo!
I have now both Intake Air Temp and Ambient temp (both stays with -40 before). More over - I have now partially both ERG flow and error readings. Partially, because they still jump from time to time into 0/-100%, which looks like loosing the connection/reading in some situation.

I'm surprised, because that old MAF somehow introduced the confusion in electric installation and reading the values on ODB2. There is also other option - due to incorrect values of temperature from previous MAF, EGR stays always opened or closed. Which could actually cause some of my previous issues with it (P0405 error). I thinks it is less probable, but... It is kind of funny, because while investigating issues with EGR, LR service recommends to ... disconnect my UG as it potentially cause the issue with ODB and messages. Now it seems to be confirmed, the MAF could be the troublemaker.
Less funny - I was driving like that last 4 years, having number or services and inspections, and found out the MAF could be failure and it is not correct for that engine.

Well... Good to have it solved, I'm really glad. I have to observe the EGR values. First ride I had impression almost half of time EGR flow was 0 and EGR errors -100%. After 3 city rides, I still see 0/-100, but much rarely than before. Something starts working finally?

Also what surprised me - reading the forum I got impression the intake air temp is rather read from separate temperature sensor (green element). Why it come back into ultragauge, after replacement of MAF? The same for ambient temp? I do not see proper correlation here.

When weather permits, I'll try to inspect the connector to EGR, or - if you have any suggestion elsewhere.
Post #1031694 15th Apr 2024 7:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1