↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Air conditioning questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
PoormansXS

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Buckingham Blue
Air conditioning questions
Hi all just fitted a used cool air Logan kit to my truck. Had it gassed up today. All appears to be working however I’m not sure it’s as cold as it should be.

The high pressure line on the compressor is obviously hot and the low pressure side is a little warm but not hot. On other systems I’ve seen the low pressure side so cold that water condenses on it.

I did a quick temp check at the blower. without AC 75 degrees Fahrenheit, with AC it dropped down to 58 degrees. So it’s cooling down but I expected it to be a little colder.

My question is, does anyone know how the 3 stage switch works? I’m assuming it cuts the compressor out based on an ambient temp sensor in the truck which could explain why the air isn’t very cold compared to ambient say if it cuts the compressor at 58 degrees it’ll never get colder than that?

I have reused the old drier which I’m thinking could be a mistake now and maybe I should replace it with new.

Any thoughts?
Post #1031286 11th Apr 2024 5:50pm
sasdiscos

The trinary switch will control compressor high and low pressure and the cond fan. Suction low side should get cold. I would say not enough gas if it’s warm.

Steve
Post #1031318 12th Apr 2024 6:27am
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Trinary switch is blocking AC compressor, when pressure is too high or too low. AC fan is controlled by small "ECU", and fan relay is switched by engine ECU. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #1031351 12th Apr 2024 3:36pm
sasdiscos

Cond fan is controlled by trinary switch that puts an input to the ecu. This is only to aid cooling after engine switch off. If the compressor is running and the low side is warm it indicates that the system is short of gas or the expansion valve is not opening enough. You would need to put gauges on it and see what the pressures are. The input also goes to the ecu to tell the compressor to run and allows the ecu to up the tick over rpm slightly to stop the car stalling at idle.
Post #1031354 12th Apr 2024 4:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1