↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > Unlocking Hidden Features - adaptive cruise control
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
roche1800

Unlocking Hidden Features - adaptive cruise control
I have read on FB that you can unlock hidden features on the Defender, for example the XS comes with cruise control and you can make it adaptive by using something like:

TFIIDBT GAP IID Tool Land Rover Diagnostic Bluetooth Code Reader G3 IIDTool

Has anyone tried this and had any experience?

Cheers[/b]
Post #1030470 4th Apr 2024 12:04pm
Philm

United Kingdom 
Try here.
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic85281.html
You will need the IIDBT G4
Post #1030471 4th Apr 2024 12:17pm
DrRob

United Kingdom 
G4 version needed New 90 on order for delivery in May 2024. D300 X-Dynamic HSE in Eiger
2011 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE Buckingham Blue with Ivory interior and clear glass = "Rory" Will be up for sale in Spring 2024
1974 Series 3 Lightweight = "Millie"
--------------------------------------------------
Series 2A V8 Lightweight - gone
1952 80" - gone
1949 80" - still in family since 1975
Post #1030473 4th Apr 2024 12:23pm
chpsk8

United States 
You should read here more instead of FB - there are a lot of threads on unlocking those secrets with a GAP tool!
Welcome to the addiction! Once you have one you'll be amazed at what it can do!
Post #1031019 8th Apr 2024 11:14pm
Moo

Ukraine 
ACC is really poor, I wouldn't waste your time. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1031032 9th Apr 2024 12:44am
John C

FWIW I think it's great on French Autoroutes (most people are going a decent speed) - our trip to the Alps would have been a pain without it. I think it's not great on UK motorways (feels like there's much more speeding up/slowing down) where it feels more like it slams the brakes on, then kicks down unnecessarily to speed up. Is marginal better running in eco mode. I'm much happier with it, but somehow doesn't feel as good as system in the D5. Defender 130 Outbound, MY24, D300 Dynamic HSE, Carpathian Grey
Previously : D5, D3, D2 and various Series Land Rovers. (‘John C’ on Disco3 and Disco5)
Post #1031117 9th Apr 2024 10:40pm
Moo

Ukraine 
I use it going to Milan but the roads are quieter. It's still poor and leagues behind my XC90's ACC.

I only use it in the UK late at night or when the motorway is super quiet. It's a brutal and unsophisticated tool. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1031118 9th Apr 2024 10:48pm
chpsk8

United States 
I spent 10 days with a Dodge Durango and that was the least refined ACC I've ever used. It would slam on the brakes at the last minute, and was not afraid to double downshift and floor it to close a 12 foot gap. It was unusable in traffic and was only good on long lightly traveled stretches.

The Defender version isn't great, but is usable. I use it on my commute home in moderate traffic. It could use a little more finesse and could learn how to coast more than just go and stop that's for certain. For what I paid for the option I'll take it.
Post #1031121 9th Apr 2024 11:00pm
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 
I have ACC fitted to my FFRR L405 and it’s brilliant. I use it on motorways and dual carriageways and it’s excellent at keeping distance and speed. Is the Defender version of the ACC not improved from my 2017 version?
The system brakes smoothly and creeps up to the car in front in slow/queuing traffic until they move or it holds the car with the engine stopped until I press the go pedal. It then moves off smoothly up to the distance or speed set.
Post #1031123 9th Apr 2024 11:00pm
Moo

Ukraine 
No. Mine is brutal. It brakes hard and accelerates like a demon when the road ahead clears. It doesn't matter how far or close the distance settings are set. Also, it's very good at miss reading the road ahead by recognising cars in other lanes and slamming on the anchors before accelerating away. I can smooth it out with the throttle and brake but as system its cr4p.

It's been into the dealer and been recalibrated but no change.

I know good is possible, my XC90 was brilliant. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1031140 10th Apr 2024 8:03am
pjeski

United States 
There's something wrong with yours. Mine has that weird surge that people complain about, but it does that whether it's in adaptive cruise or just tooling down the road with no traffic. It never accelerates wildly, and following in stop and go traffic works well. It rarely loses the car in front around curves. (My other car will not restart if stopped for more than a few seconds, and frequently loses the car it's following around a curve.) I don't think it's ever tripped for a car in another lane, though it does tend to stay locked on a car departing the roadway a little too long. I wouldn't say I absolutely love it but it is nothing to complain about, overall I like it quite well.
Post #1031159 10th Apr 2024 11:15am
aquascape

United Kingdom 
Same here. I use it often and find it quite good. Not perfect but perfectly usable day to day on motorways. MY23 D250 Defender 110 X-Dynamic SE, Carpathian Grey, 7 Seat, Electric Towbar
Post #1031185 10th Apr 2024 4:58pm
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Moo wrote:
No. Mine is brutal. It brakes hard and accelerates like a demon when the road ahead clears. It doesn't matter how far or close the distance settings are set. Also, it's very good at miss reading the road ahead by recognising cars in other lanes and slamming on the anchors before accelerating away. I can smooth it out with the throttle and brake but as system its cr4p.

It's been into the dealer and been recalibrated but no change.

I know good is possible, my XC90 was brilliant.

Moo, I know you reference the Volvo when it comes to both the adaptive lights and cruise control but I have to say, my 2024 is nothing like your experience (and I had an top spec XC60, and an XC90 prior as a reference).

The adaptive lights are excellent - don't dazzle and adapt quickly, or as quick as any other car I've owned or driven with them (none get it right all the time is my point, including my Volvos).

The adaptive cruise is also very good and on a par with anything I've driven. Adapts well to busy roads and motorways and is smooth in operation. I've read your comments for awhile and I do wonder if it is car related rather than what is the general experience; or, perhaps JLR have updated the system for 2024 cars?
Post #1031190 10th Apr 2024 5:27pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
Mine's a MY2022 and my ACC is very smooth probably on par with my previous L405 and the Matrix lights are fantastic, they instantly adapt to either on coming vehicles or when you catch up to a vehicle and they are super bright on unlit country roads which is where I do most of my driving, but there are a few posters who keep insisting they are crap Confused Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #1031191 10th Apr 2024 5:51pm
J77

Scotland 
This 24MY HSE is the first LR, in fact first car, I’ve had with ACC. Seems to work well, slows down and accelerates smoothly, though I’ve nothing to compare it to. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #1031215 10th Apr 2024 9:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>