Print this entire topic · 
balmybaldwin

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Buckingham Blue
Snorkel & Wading and sealed air systems in TD5s
As we know a snorkel doesn't mean you can go wading too deep in a td5 due to

a) the shocking watertightness of the standard intake bits
b) the height of the electrics... ECU in particular

As I do flood response I wanted to elevate my wading depth somewhat

So when I fitted my Mantec Mushroom top snorkel I also fitted a Nugget stuff sealed wing box to airbox kit. This meant replacing the existing intake piping and removing the drain valve.

I also moved the ecu a little higher with an extension.

Result it can wade safely a foot or so deeper than before and I have a nice water tight intake. (At least up to the airbox)

However after driving at motorway speed in rain with no issues( for 20 miles, stopping for an hour and 20miles home), the next morning I nearly lunched my engine and found a good pint of water sitting in the now sealed low point of the pipe to the airbox after pulling some through my air filter, so I dried it out and replaced filter. I'm guessing water in the airbox and snorl;e has gathered over time as it isn't going in the top

Aware of the issue of sucking in rain I went with the mushroom top, but now discover quite a few people have issues with it drinking rain.

Instead now I've put a "safari" scoop type head on and pointed backwards hoping to solve the issue.

Yesterday I drove in light rain at motorway speeds, and again it drove fine, but this morning again I have water sitting in my pipes. Quite a lot less than before (maybe a 1/4 pint sloshing around), and pretty sure it's not filling the tube like last time.

I think for now I'm going to reinstall the drain and make a way to temporarily seal it , but I want to find a solution to this that works.

So over to you...I know lots of people do equip for proper wading and also live places where it rains, so someone must have the solution?
Post #1025663 23rd Feb 2024 12:06am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
A Donaldson cyclonic pre filter fitted at the top of an RAI should stop water / rain ingress into a sealed intake system. Well unless the top of the RAI is underwater of course, but then you would be more concerned with other things at that point Very Happy

Blackwolf has this setup on his sealed system, consisting of a nakatanenga RAI and nuggetstuff airbox and has stated several times he gets zero water ingress into his airbox during rain etc.

https://www.4x4works.co.uk/product/donalds...high-flow/

https://www.4x4works.co.uk/product/donalds...high-flow/
Post #1025669 23rd Feb 2024 1:38am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I can confirm that I have never yet found any wetness in my filter (wasps - deceased - yes for some reason, moisture - no). The Donaldson prefilter gets all the moisture and about 95% of the dirt (except it seems wasps) out before it ever gets to the filter housing, and the filter stays clean for a ridiculously long time.

Everything down to the wing is Nakatanenga, everything under the wing is Nugget, but it I did it again now of course the underwing bits would be Allisport.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1025677 23rd Feb 2024 9:23am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
I always understood the snorkel to avoid dust not water. That is the official wading depth? Probably bottom of the sweatbox (ecu). The factory air intake piping for sure is not waterproofed.

Personally I always find it comical when people look at my Defender assuming it can wade through waist deep water, they are quite fragile things in the long run and normal cars can actually deal with surprisingly poor terrain also. I lived in Norway for a few years, 1m snow typically and people drive normal cars, very few 4x4 (partly dt unfavourable tax regime)
Post #1025693 23rd Feb 2024 12:20pm
blackwolf

I have had mine in water up to the door handles on the outside (over my ankles inside) and the bow wave has been coming over the front wings (I've actually driven my SI 80" with water over the bonnet before now and that doesn't even have an RAI, it is all down to technique with a SI).

It isn't a particularly good idea to go that deep with a Defender and I don't recommend it, and it would have been exceptionally expensive with the standard intake since the position of this was submerged.

An RAI is as good as you choose to make it. Most of the electronics on a (classic) Defender are better sealed that most folk give credit for. Do this sort of thing too often though and you will get through alternators etc at a rare due to crud ingress rather than water ingress.

The last deep water I crossed was a swollen ford back last "summer". The was a little lad with his family by the ford whose face was a picture when I opened the second-row door and let the water out! Laughing

Do not drive in ANY water if you don't know how deep it is, what the bottom surface consists of, and how fast the current is flowing. Do not drive in deep water unless you know what you are doing and are prepared for significant risk to yourself and your vehicle.

Finally, if you do drive in deep water, don't do it like the retards on YouTube!
Post #1025713 23rd Feb 2024 2:16pm
balmybaldwin

TexasRover wrote:
I always understood the snorkel to avoid dust not water. That is the official wading depth? Probably bottom of the sweatbox (ecu). The factory air intake piping for sure is not waterproofed.

Personally I always find it comical when people look at my Defender assuming it can wade through waist deep water, they are quite fragile things in the long run and normal cars can actually deal with surprisingly poor terrain also. I lived in Norway for a few years, 1m snow typically and people drive normal cars, very few 4x4 (partly dt unfavourable tax regime)

Essentially all I'm after is rasing the wading depth to allow a better margin of safety. I don't want to turn it into a submarine.
Post #1025718 23rd Feb 2024 2:48pm
balmybaldwin

blackwolf wrote:
I can confirm that I have never yet found any wetness in my filter (wasps - deceased - yes for some reason, moisture - no). The Donaldson prefilter gets all the moisture and about 95% of the dirt (except it seems wasps) out before it ever gets to the filter housing, and the filter stays clean for a ridiculously long time.

Everything down to the wing is Nakatanenga, everything under the wing is Nugget, but it I did it again now of course the underwing bits would be Allisport.

Click image to enlarge

Is yours a TDCI or TD5? it looks like your RAI is going to the TDCI airbox posiiton?

Is you filter a "real" donaldson? I'm willing to give it go but at £137 it better be a big difference with £25 jobs you can get that (at least to me from pictures look identical)?
Post #1025720 23rd Feb 2024 2:59pm
blackwolf

It is a TDCi. The precleaner came with the Nak RAI system and is not a genuine Donaldson as far as I know, but is a good quality item (of German origin I think). The Nak RAI itself was not cheap by any means (but quality never is). TD5 versions are available as well.

https://www.nakatanenga.de/en/vehicle-equi...ke/snorkel

https://www.nakatanenga.de/en/vehicle-equi...ing.?c=312

https://www.4x4overlander.com/product/defe...ender-td4/
Post #1025724 23rd Feb 2024 3:38pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Youd be surprised at how deep you can go with a proper set up.

My old 110 had a 3.5" snorkel through the wingtop and a new 3.5" reinforced pipe to the factory airbox. Siliconed at both ends, airbox drain sealed.

ECU in factory position just sealed to seatbox a bit better.

Frequently had water up to the bonnet, as long as you have a good bow wave and do not stop itll sail through. Never had a drop of water in the seatbox or any in the airbox.

Problems arise when you stop and the water can flow in.

Click image to enlarge

Due to the position of the intake of the snorkel on the above I have had water in the airbox before, mostly from splashing through puddles a bit quick and the water being sucked in. Solved that with a silicone hose that slides over the intake with some holes punched in it. So airs drawn in from behind.

Even in my old 90 i was stuck in a puddle which was half way up the rear door, no snorkel either. The paper air filter saved the engine but not much water came into the seatbox. Admittedly a mistake, i was young and stupid Laughing and ever so lucky.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #1025740 23rd Feb 2024 5:17pm
balmybaldwin

So I now have a round "donaldson" head... It seems things are much improved, but not yet fully cured.

I think I'm OK at 65, but 70 seems to suck a bit in even in llight rain it is however much less than before to the extent it's not worth draining it.

I am surprised tho that I'm not seeing any water in the bowl thing... is this normal - is it heavy stuff like sand (and wasps) that goes in there?
Post #1028933 21st Mar 2024 11:55pm
balmybaldwin

After a long run up the M1 and back in the rain, I got home to find no water inthe pipes (Yay)

5 days later and it's full of water (boo)

I'm pretty convinced now it's gettting in when parked now (I suspect the rubber flexi), so got it sat with a hose taped to it for 20 mins to test
Post #1029732 29th Mar 2024 12:40pm
balmybaldwin

So it turn's out

Click image to enlarge

This is a really good way to fill up my air system with water

And this is why. Now smothered in sealant and tightened at the top to improve the gasket seal at the top

Click image to enlarge
Post #1029734 29th Mar 2024 2:02pm
balmybaldwin

And now I'm wondering if there's anything wrong with the scoop or original head I tried Whistle
Post #1029735 29th Mar 2024 2:06pm
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
The safari type heads are designed to be a water separator- you shouldn't be getting any in that way, we haven't in 10ish years, driving in all weather conditions- I have heard of issues with the mantec "plastic jobby" and some of the mushroom type heads managing to draw moisture from behind the air intake/head where there is a low pressure or turbulent area of airflow.

Without wanting to sound too negative, in terms of flood response- if you are getting to the stage where you are driving flood water in a TD5 and you are genuinely concerned about the ECU and air intake becoming saturated, then you are using the wrong mode of transport.

At this point a boat is the appropriate device for crossing water.

Chris
(Former Swiftwater and Flood Rescue instructor)
Post #1029743 29th Mar 2024 3:22pm
4RF RDS

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
I have the Safari top and never had issues and I also do use it facing backwards. I was gonna say check your fender seal but you’ve found it. Check all your connections from the snorkel intake to the filter as well. The safari top has water egress slots down the sides and should not suck in a lot, if any, water. I have forded to the middle of my windscreen and no water in the filter 👌🏻

Good luck

Click image to enlarge
 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
2003 Range Rover Mk III (Desmond FitzWilliam)
2000 Defender 110 CSW TD5 (CTX)
1992 Range Rover Classic (Lizzy)
1972 Series III 300 Tdi (Stanwood)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Post #1029752 29th Mar 2024 5:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>