↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Parts availability
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 

Sweden 
Parts availability
Our 2021 Defender was hit from behind in early December 2023, since then it's been sitting at the body shop waiting for parts that was ordered in mid december, while some have arrived, there are still parts without an ETA.

LR Sweden sent out a letter informing that a warehouse reorg had impacted delivery times, but it being soon four months delivery time, something must have gone very wrong in that reorg?

As I understand it, the needed body parts exist in the manufacturing plant in EU (Slovakia) and could be delivered within a week if there was a willingness from JLR to resolve this?

Frustrating as the Defender is needed here and has been completely fault free until it was hit by someone who did not keep enough distance in icy conditions.
It was not a huge impact, the rear right corner with rear light, rear quarter panel, rear bumper, and a small dent on the rear door.

Anyone else who experience extended waiting time for parts? 110 SE D200 MY21 Tasman blue
Discovery 3 V8 HSE MY06
Discovery 1 V8 ES MY97
RRC 2-door V8 MY83
Post #1029528 27th Mar 2024 7:04pm
LR Nuts

one word ........ UniPart
Post #1029533 27th Mar 2024 7:35pm
Moo

Ukraine 
That's a pain.

I have a rear cross member taken off my car when the tow bar was fitted if you want it. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1029563 28th Mar 2024 1:28am
Soup Dragon

It’s shortsighted at best, immoral at worst, for JLR to continue to prioritise building new cars when they know that certain parts are in high demand which could be diverted to repairing existing customers’ cars that are off the road.

The impact on factory build rate would be minimal and easy to manage, particularly now that the order backlog is back to normal.

A case of JLR prioritising financial results over aftermarket satisfaction. Understandable but not the right thing to do as they will pay the price in terms of missing out on repeat orders.
Post #1029579 28th Mar 2024 9:06am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I've posted a link to this article from November 2023 before, but it makes for sobering reading:

Delays to the delivery of parts has left almost 5,000 Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) cars stuck at dealerships awaiting repairs

The author wrote:
JLR chief executive, Adrian Mardell, said the firm needed to apologise to customers facing delays.

JLR has downsized its UK parts supply network from 18 warehouses to one 'super-centre', the Mercia Park complex in Leicestershire, operated by its logistics partner Unipart Logistics.

But since the "transition" started at the beginning of Q4 there has been problems supplying parts for Jaguar and Land Rover dealerships, and authorised repairers, leading to cars being parked up awaiting parts, while the JLR network ran out of loan cars for affected customers.

(Article continues)

This article in Car Dealer magazine from October 2023 quoted similar figures.

The author wrote:
Jaguar Land Rover has run out of courtesy cars and its workshops are close to breaking point amidst a huge global parts shortage.

Some 10,000 cars are currently awaiting parts across the country – with 5,000 of them stuck off the road at car dealerships.

The ‘significant parts shortage’ was addressed at a summit with the dealership network, held at the British Motor Museum on October 5, where attendees were told the problem wouldn’t get any better for at least another six weeks.

(Article continues)

Even allowing for sensationalist reporting there can be no doubt that the figure is many thousands thousands (and this is for the UK alone, not global figures) and that the dealer network ran out of load vehicles. This is frankly appalling, and someone should be sacked over a shambles on this scale.

It must be even more galling if you were one of the customers whose vehicle had been off-road at Inchcape in Derby for six months or more, only the be destroyed in the great flood, but I imagine that JLR would have been delighted since presumably the destroyed vehicles were immediately removed from the totals above.

Would I buy a new vehicle from JLR at the moment? Hell no! If they were the last vehicle manufacturer on earth I would buy a push bike. I really cannot understand why anyone would buy a new Jaguar or Landrover at the moment, unless they simply don't do any kind of research before splashing the cash or like to have something to be indignant and complain about. If people stopped buying the products and submitting to this standard of service, JLR would stop getting away with it.
Post #1029584 28th Mar 2024 10:51am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
It does make me wonder why Toyota hasn’t used this opportunity to push the new Land Cruiser.

The UK website is no different from the day that they updated it to say it’s coming, the US markets have been able to use the on line configurator to build and price their choice of vehicle for at least four to six weeks now.

Does nobody understand how sales works anymore, you see an opportunity then go for it.

Toyota isn’t doing that. Yes I know the US market will be seen as the core lifestyle market so will target that first but the new Land Cruiser isn’t the behemoth it became and would suit the UK roads better, not to mention the UK like Japan where it is made is a right hand drive market.

The other thread mentions cars no longer seen on the roads, JLR are rapidly heading the same way. It’s now a rare sight here to see the current batch of their products on the road.

Are they sitting at dealers waiting parts, or have previous owners, just given up……….
Post #1029586 28th Mar 2024 11:48am
spudfan

Ireland 
Don't forget, all of the time you vehicle sits awaiting parts for repair eats into your warranty period. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #1029595 28th Mar 2024 2:52pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Update to my last post.

There are four new Land Cruisers in Scotland for the press. Currently under embargo so I would expect first driving impressions on You Tube in the next few weeks. No idea if this will mirror the online configurator or not.
Post #1029614 28th Mar 2024 4:34pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
lt's not just Land Rover with a parts shortage for customers vehicles.
l've got a friend with a Porsche thats been off the road since Christmas waiting for a transmission.
Post #1029639 28th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Blue Boy

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Buckingham Blue
My Defender has been rotting in the dealers pound awaiting parts for 15 weeks. I can’t find anyone in Land Rover who has any idea when a part might materialise (although since they are still making cars so they have parts somewhere!).

I don’t see how you can keep a car beyond the warranty period when it could be out of action for an indeterminate time. At least I’m in warranty so have a loan car - but it isn’t a Defender. Land Rover have no customer service and no concept of how to treat customers.
Post #1029665 28th Mar 2024 8:36pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
i was speaking to a mate the other day who said that in the rush to close warehouses and get rid of staff they emptied them into lorries and sent them off to the new shed....and still they sit waiting to be unloaded into the new system which doesn't work well at all.

profit before customers......

they dont care about how much bad press they get and never will i suspect.
Post #1029672 28th Mar 2024 9:54pm

Sweden 
Thanks, it seems like it's not only us that are waiting for parts then.

Another topic on this saga is that LR Sweden ran a campaign offering about £8k on top of market trade-in price if you bought a new Defender from stock.
I contacted the local dealer and he spoke about how difficult sales was these days as the LR prices had left the company car brackets behind.
Anyways he promised to get back with a quote for me on the requested spec and with a value on my trade in. That was a month ago, after that nothing, sent several email reminders, but clearly there is no interest.
You need a strong faith in these difficult times to stay true to the brand Laughing 110 SE D200 MY21 Tasman blue
Discovery 3 V8 HSE MY06
Discovery 1 V8 ES MY97
RRC 2-door V8 MY83
Post #1029849 30th Mar 2024 7:53pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
markb110 wrote:
Update to my last post.

There are four new Land Cruisers in Scotland for the press. Currently under embargo so I would expect first driving impressions on You Tube in the next few weeks. No idea if this will mirror the online configurator or not.

From what l've seen it looks like a great vehicle
Post #1029875 31st Mar 2024 12:58am
spudfan

Ireland 
Yes I saw a brief precise of forth coming tests by journalists. The full tests to be released later. One thing he did say was that TOYOTA are pushing the get you anywhere and get you back capabilities of the Land Cruiser and the virtues of having a diesel engine. This is ironic as in adverts for their cars they are saying "leave diesel behind"....
Looks like they recognise that there are cases when good old diesel just cannot be bettered. (Land Rover INGENIUM and TDV6 engines excluded). 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #1029876 31st Mar 2024 1:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1