Home > Td5 > Steering wobble and suspension ideas
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Re: Steering wobble and suspension ideas
110Matty wrote:

Hi, despite my name tag it’s a 90 so I know as a short wheelbase, the ride would be compromised by design. The alloys are KN Predators fitted with Cooper Discoverer ST Pro’s (265/80/r17). I’ll hardly be towing, so comfort is more important than load lugging capability/stability. If I do go for new springs / shocks / bushes as a comfort set up, would anti-roll bars help with controlling the lean? I’m thinking of having all joints and pins etc checked / replaced also.

Ok, so you have lots of options, some cheaper, some very expensive. But the real issue is, you can't easily try before you buy. But this is true for most of us.

Personally I'd say most 90's ride quite well in stock form, if yours isn't, there might be something worn or not right. But it might also be perception compared to modern saloon cars or SUVs. Ultimately it is a short wheel base, live axle 4x4 of a very utilitarian nature. So it'll never be luxo limo in terms of ride.

I was out in the Ninety tonight, it is a 1989 county with the old 19j TD in. Stock springs all round and stock front shocks, rears are Bilstein (haven't done the fronts yet). I'm running 255/70R16 AT's. The ride IMO is perfectly fine, it isn't uncomfortable in the least.

Newer models might have slightly stiffer rear springs, so this might make them a bit harder, but shouldn't be hugely different.

I also have a new Jimny which I've just put some expensive adjustable shocks on along with a 2" lift. I'd say the 90 is in the same ballpark ride wise.

Do you off road at all? A stock 90 is pretty good off road, but adding some +2" shocks really does make a significant difference to suspension flex. But you'll either need a longer spring or dislocation cones. As the stock springs will fall out of the upper spring seats.

If you don't off road, then standard length shocks will be fine, but certainly worth considering if you do.

Before we get into springs, consider a re-bush. Superbush have a good reputation, but don't tell you much about their products and they are pricey. Personally I like the Polybush sets. They offer a comfort grade bush:
https://www.polybush.co.uk/polyurethane-su...2-onwards/

For springs, I think you have a couple of choices. I like the Flatdog springs. They offer some standard rate +2" springs:
https://www.flatdoguk.com/def%2D90%2D%2B2%22%2D%2F%2Dstd%7E339

These work well with the +2" shocks, but would work with standard length shocks too. They give a circa 1" lift, as they are not stiffer than stock. These with some good shocks should ride nice.

Or you could mix and match such as run a +2 front spring on the rear and a standard length on the front. (rear springs are longer, doing this would give a softer rear, but less loading).

Or you could look at running classic Range Rover springs all round:
https://www.flatdoguk.com/rr%2Dclassic%2D%2B2%2Fstd%7E459

This would be a softer setup, you could even run the rear RR spring on both axles if you wanted.

A softer setup may have more lean, so you might want to consider anti roll bars, but see how it drives first.

As for shocks, this is a big open debate too. Most of the "uprated" shocks will be firmer, but likely offer more controlled damping. So over road humps and the like and cornering they will be less springy and more controlled. But might feel more firm over minor road imperfections and broken tarmac.

On one of my vehicles (aimed at off roading) which is a custom pickup. I used to run +2" ProComp shocks. I broke one after years of abuse and replaced with some +2" Britpart Celluar Dynamic shocks. The Procomps had loads of body roll (no anti roll bars and soft springs). But it road bumps very well, even across stubble fields. The Celluar Dynamics are firmer and less comfy, but have trabnsformed the handling. I'd say with the some good anti roll bars the Pro Comps had potential for a very comfy road setup.

I suspect I've not really answered your question, but that is because it is so difficult to answer and most of us will have fairly limited exposure to lots of setups and individual perceptions vary hugely.

Adjustable shocks might be an answer, but you will need to be prepared to put the effort into setting them up. For this you'd want on vehicle adjustable, as it would be an utter pitta to keep removing them to play with the settings. And I'm not convinced softest is the going to be the best. On my Jimny I tried the softest damper setting and found it very floaty on the road and poorly controlled damping. It wasn't more comfy, just uncontrolled.

But do bear in mind the suspension is a "system" and is a balance of springs and dampers. Get one significantly wrong and the other will never truly be able to compensate and solve the issues. In my mind, softer springs and better damping should result in a better smoother ride. But will be less good loaded, will lean more and be less precise/fun in the corners. Front & rear anti roll bars can help counter some of this.
Post #1028826 20th Mar 2024 11:53pm
110Matty

United Kingdom 
All very helpful and thank you so much for such a comprehensive reply ! 👍
Post #1028889 21st Mar 2024 7:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12