↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Faults & Fixes (L663) > Error codes P06E5 and P2002
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

What would cause a DPF to crack? Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #1027725 11th Mar 2024 10:43pm
medallionno3

United Kingdom 
Normally caused by over temperature or a manufacturing defect
Post #1027726 11th Mar 2024 10:49pm
Tim in Scotland

Just checked the tailpipes and they are black and caked with sticky black soot………….. not good, might have to call LRA back and get the car booked in through them and a loan car arranged.

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #1027780 12th Mar 2024 12:15pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
My brother’s just had a cracked DPF replaced on his Disco Sport. Quite common apparently.
Post #1027798 12th Mar 2024 2:51pm
Tobytreg

United Kingdom 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
Just checked the tailpipes and they are black and caked with sticky black soot………….. not good, might have to call LRA back and get the car booked in through them and a loan car arranged.

Click image to enlarge

Have you had the Defender back to dealers by any chance??
Post #1030878 7th Apr 2024 7:25pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Any update on this issue, did you get it sorted yet?
Post #1031038 9th Apr 2024 7:59am
Tim in Scotland

I haven’t been on the forum for a couple of weeks - after a month of minimal then no driving the Def was taken into the dealers on 28th March where they diagnosed a cracked DPF but couldn’t get the parts until after the Easter bank holiday. I then heard nothing, radio silence so last Wednesday after 2 weeks I called in after collecting my new electric Mini Countryman. Was told that the guy who deals with me was away on his Easter holidays …………. (So nobody else was able to deal with me and update me?) to be told that the DPF and parts had “just arrived this morning” but there was no workshop slot available until 22nd April and it needed a 6 hour work slot to put in the new bits and carry out the oil change. The smashed offside front plastic wheel arch liner (I picked up a piece of pallet with a big long nail in it and that gave me a puncture and was thrown off into the front of the wheel arch) and the warranty claim on the rear recovery eyes have also been completed.
I wasn’t expecting to see the car until 23rd April earliest but at lunchtime today I got a call asking if I would be home this afternoon so that they could return the car to me - it was originally supposed to be picked up from my house but I didn’t get that message and took it in myself on 28th March. I suspect that was so they didn’t need to loose a loan car potentially for a month, and they took me home. Car is now sat outside my house as of 4pm today. Wonder how long it will last before the next thing goes wrong!
It’s only the 2nd LR product since 1996 that I have owned that has suffered a mechanical failure not caused by me - last one was a Disco2 in 2001 that shredded a drive belt when a pulley seized, ironically on my way to the dealership to take delivery of my new Freelander 1 TD4 Auto………… of the other 13 LRvand RR’s I’ve owned since 1996 that’s been the sum total of mechanical issues I’ve suffered over the years - I’ve had leaks and rattles and bits replaced under warranty during services but those are the 2 proper breakdowns I’ve had in all those years. The L663 D240 110 I had prior to the 90 had 15 visits other than a service to the dealers to cure rattles and leaks and I had an Evoque in 2014 that had a software update to the 9 speed auto gearbox ECU from the makers and that caused DOF sensor failure but never disabled the car - JLr bought back the car as they couldn’t roll back the software but also got fed up replacing the same sensor almost weekly and I went back to owning RRS’s!
My 1996 TDi300 old faithful 90 had its chassis dissolve at 11 years old and I managed to put a tiny hole in the transfer case Offroad and didn’t realize it had drained all its oil out on the drive home, requiring a new transfer box as thenOEM on basically melted internally and seized.

Edit: I’ve just checked the app and they appear to have filled up the DEF/Adblu as I’m sure it went in with 6800 miles range and it’s now showing 7454 miles range. I left it with a full diesel tank and it’s now showing 90% so it’s had some test drives and the 17 miles haul back to my home. The oil/filter change I had booked it in for has been done under warranty and I have a set of new rear recovery eyes. Before I go anywhere I think I might give them some extra layers of coating - any suggestions of a suit coating or would Hammerite anti rust paint be OK? Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #1031663 15th Apr 2024 4:43pm
Telemarkskier

United Kingdom 
Ref towing eyes: I had red ones but painted them black with two coats of Hammerite. So far still looking OK with no rust showing. 2020 Defender 110 SE 240D: Fuji White.
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE
2007 Freelander2 HSE (man)
Post #1031915 17th Apr 2024 8:09pm
Tim in Scotland

Well the car had to go back into the service bay…………. They sent it back by delivery driver and he passed on nothing untoward. Last week I got a phone call from the dealer saying I need to book the car in “to have the temperature sensor fitted” - as usual the receptionist had no idea what / which sensor was to be replaced, I assume it was one on the DPF system that might have been damaged when the DPF melted down…………. and the replacement sensor might have been on back order……….
The car was collected by a driver yesterday morning to be returned in the evening. It got returned thus morning with (yet again) no paperwork.

I love my Defender 90 D250 despite this protracted repair but after driving my electric Mini Cooper for most of the time and now have taken delivery of a new electric Mini Countryman Sport AWD (it’s longer than the 90 and is almost as heavy…….) the no slouch D250 feels like an old truck to drive! The Countryman even has a Trails mode and about as much ground clearance as an Evoque but also has a 64.9kWh battery hanging down underneath……….. I tested it on the very gentle 3 Lochs Forest Drive near Aberfoyle in the Trossachs yesterday - I think that’s really about as far off-road as it can handle!
It’s redeeming qualities are 0-60 in 5 secs and averaging 3.8miles/kWh (which is pretty good consumption seeing as it’s a bix and driving both axles permanently) or 170mpg equivalent and 2.2p/mile in off peak electricity to fuel it.its also not the most beautiful looking car on earth………

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #1033726 3rd May 2024 3:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12