↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Faults & Fixes (L663) > Error codes P06E5 and P2002
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

Error codes P06E5 and P2002
Saturday morning returning from fuelling up at Stirling Sainsbury and half a mile from home after a nice fast run the Engine Management Amber warning lamp came on on the dash……….. parked up and left the car for an hour to shut down then went out and tried a restart - amber light stayed on after the boot up check routine. Called Land Rover Assistance
Diagnostic tablet found error codes P06E5 (a glow plug warning) and P2002 (a Particulate filter issue) see the photo of the call out report. Technician disappeared off in the car for a run and came back after 15 minutes with no amber warning light, reckons that the DPF “might” now have completed the regen it was trying to make. All is happiness and joy………..
Sunday morning had a lovely 55 mile drive to the Rest and Be Thankful car park to meet up with the Scottish Green Road Club guys for an off-road ramble. Half way around the routes of mostly 10-15mph or slower running in low box with high ish rpm at times EML amber light comes back up on the dash - having been told by the LRA/AA guy it’s fine to continue driving I finished the afternoon and drove 55 miles home on roads where 50-60 mph for many miles is possible I hoped that maybe the run would clear the EML, but it didn’t. Posted this on the FB Owners group and got a response from a D250 owner with the same issue and is still waiting for a replace O2 sensor for the DPF regen system for a couple of months as they are on long back order at the factory.
Called Pentland Stirling this morning to be told the earliest that they can take the car is 29th Feb which I cannot do, next one is mid March. I already have an appointment booked for 25th March to give the car a 1st birthday present of an oil and filter change and a new set of rear recovery eyes under warranty (already agreed with JLR) and now they will investigate the EML too. I asked them to ensure that they order a new O2 sensor now in case it is required…………… doubt that they will as they will doubtless need to “investigate” the problem themselves before ordering one from JLR, so 2-3 months with an EML on the dash and no idea if the car is really carrying out DPF regens is reasonable?

One of the questions that the AA tech asked was if I had been using the remote start to precondition the car because he had had several call outs where owners had been using it daily or twice daily for commuting and that having the car sitting idling for 30 minutes can cause DPF filters to clog up. My car has normally never completed a remote start warm up cycle because after 10-15 minutes I tend to get in and drive it. It doesn’t do stop start / crawling driving mostly fast A roads at National speed limit. Adblu consumption also has been very small compared to my D240 Defender’s where I had consumed a whole tankful by this stage of its life (11 months/12000 miles). The D250 90 has done 8000 miles and is still showing 6276 miles range left in the DEF tank. I wondered if there’s a sensor problem with the DEF tank level but several others have commented here and on FB that their cars hardly us any too.

The amount of kit JLR seems to have on long back order supply is concerning and makes me wonder if JLR has bigger financial problems than I suspect it has and cannot pay suppliers bills so they are with holding parts until paid for………..

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #1025153 19th Feb 2024 12:06pm
J77

Scotland 
Apparently the problem with parts supply is they moved everything from 18 warehouses to one big super centre run by Unipart.

Keep an ear out for a deep throaty exhaust note that’s usually an indication it’s going through a regen. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #1025161 19th Feb 2024 12:56pm
J77

Scotland 
A quick wipe around the inside of the exhaust will tell you if the DPF is working properly. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #1025165 19th Feb 2024 1:19pm
Moo

Ukraine 
If the car goes in because LRA have reported a fault then the dealer has a week to fix it and you get a courtesy car. This is what happened with my daughter's Discovery Sport. 3 month waiting to get it seen for a timing chain rattle at the dealer or fixed in a week if sent in by LRA. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1025167 19th Feb 2024 1:32pm
Tim in Scotland

J77 wrote:
A quick wipe around the inside of the exhaust will tell you if the DPF is working properly.

The previous time it did a regen that I was aware of it was the unpleasant smell that was the giveaway! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #1025169 19th Feb 2024 1:37pm
Tim in Scotland

Moo wrote:
If the car goes in because LRA have reported a fault then the dealer has a week to fix it and you get a courtesy car. This is what happened with my daughter's Discovery Sport. 3 month waiting to get it seen for a timing chain rattle at the dealer or fixed in a week if sent in by LRA.

Moo, LRA/AA reckon that the car is safe to drive, in a couple of weeks maybe I should report it happened again…………. And hope it gets recovered to the dealer! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #1025170 19th Feb 2024 1:38pm
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
Re: Error codes P06E5 and P2002
Tim in Scotland wrote:

The amount of kit JLR seems to have on long back order supply is concerning and makes me wonder if JLR has bigger financial problems than I suspect it has and cannot pay suppliers bills so they are with holding parts until paid for………..

Not the reason, just poor supply chain…

Q2 FY24 Profit after tax was £272 million, compared to a loss the same quarter a year ago and a profit of £323 million in Q1 FY24.

Free cash flow for the period was £300 million. At the end of the quarter, total cash was £4.3 billion and net debt was £2.2 billion, with gross debt of £6.5 billion. Total liquidity was £5.8 billion including the £1.52 billion undrawn revolving credit facility maturing in March 2026.
Post #1025173 19th Feb 2024 1:50pm
Trevorb1

What level of pivi pro are you on ? 4.1.1 includes "Defender and Discovery 6-cylinder vehicles:
Resolved an issue where the 02 sensor could incorrectly result in the display of an engine warning light."
Post #1025177 19th Feb 2024 2:39pm
J77

Scotland 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
Moo wrote:
If the car goes in because LRA have reported a fault then the dealer has a week to fix it and you get a courtesy car. This is what happened with my daughter's Discovery Sport. 3 month waiting to get it seen for a timing chain rattle at the dealer or fixed in a week if sent in by LRA.

Moo, LRA/AA reckon that the car is safe to drive, in a couple of weeks maybe I should report it happened again…………. And hope it gets recovered to the dealer!

Yes get it recovered, my Velar had an engine management light come on, LRA came out said it was safe to drive but he would arrange recovery the following day as it then takes priority at the dealer. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #1025221 19th Feb 2024 9:04pm
Tim in Scotland

Trevorb1 wrote:
What level of pivi pro are you on ? 4.1.1 includes "Defender and Discovery 6-cylinder vehicles:
Resolved an issue where the 02 sensor could incorrectly result in the display of an engine warning light."

Just been out to check - mine is still on 4.1.0 installed last October Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #1025240 19th Feb 2024 10:06pm
Trevorb1

Tim, don't know if LRA / dealer can force a download of 4.1.1, used to be possible on pre Pivi systems if you got someone who knew what they were doing via Topix, might be worth a call.
Post #1025266 20th Feb 2024 8:39am
Moo

Ukraine 
I'd still be chasing LRA and getting into the dealer. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1025287 20th Feb 2024 11:03am
Tim in Scotland

Went out to the car yesterday (Sunday) as was going on an off-roading ramble, to be greeted by the usual yellow engine management light AND a little blue dot 🔵 on the “head and shoulders” icon on the pivi. Looked into what the update was and yes, it was the O2 sensor software bug fix update. As I was late leaving for a meet up an hour away I didn’t install the update as it advised it would take approx 40 minutes and I knew that I would have minimum 45 minutes at the driver briefing and chat pre- off-road drive. On arrival at the meet up point, got the gear I needed out of the car, clicked the install button, said a little prayer that it would all work OK and locked up to let it do the install. Briefing over, install also completed and yea NO MORE yellow light for engine management system! BUT………..

On engaging low box and Mud and Ruts on pulling into the start of the off-road hillside off the main road I found that the gear changes are incredibly harsh compared to prior to the update and also the HDC was vicious/ really aggressive whereas previously it’s operation has been really smooth and progressive.
I tried the various off-road modes in TR and the grabby/harsh gear changes and snappy HDC was the same in the all except Comfort and Eco modes (I don’t have Dynamic yet in my car). As the day progressed either I got used to the “remapped” gear changes and HDC or the ECU’s were retuning after the update but thing did get smoother over the morning and early afternoon on the first drive site that had every off-road scenario including a very short rock scree/ stream bed section that I tested out the Rock Crawl on.
Back to the main road for a 5 mile on tar drive in comfort / high range and the smooth gear changes came back. Turn off the tar onto the steep gravel track at the start of the afternoon section, back into low box and mud and ruts mode and this time the gear changes and HDC were noticeably less grabby/ harsh and by the end of the afternoon the drive / gear changes and HDC were vastly improved over the morning in all modes, but still not as smooth/ almost imperceptible as the pre-installation situation.
Hopefully the car will continue to smooth out the gear changes and HDC operation in low range but it did improve over a 5 hour drive almost all in low range / mud and ruts and off-road height, more importantly no more yellow EMS fault warning light on the dash!
Something else that happened as a result of the update was all my saved FM and DAB channels disappeared from the PIVI and as the car was moving it wouldn’t let me do a Pivi soft reset, not that I needed the audio on an off-road drive. At our lunch break I tried several rests and the PIVI still wouldn’t give me any audio and I also couldn’t stream from my iPhone. At the end of the day I drove home without any audio or streamed music/ news but when I parked up in my drive at home I did a PIVI reset and slowly it found all the stations that I had previously programmed in - so I suspect that the road up the west side of Loch Lomond between Luss and Crianlarich isn’t great for trying to retune the DAB or FM even though it’s not been a problem to carry those through in past on the same road, the signals must be just a bit too weak for the tuner to find from scratch with all the mountains around.

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #1027582 11th Mar 2024 11:05am
Tim in Scotland

Well that didn’t last long………….. just back from town and a call into Pentland on the way to cancel that item from the oil change booking and…………….. 4 miles from home the yellow light pops back up on the dash - that fix lasted 27 hours! Item re-instated on the items for attention! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #1027623 11th Mar 2024 3:51pm
medallionno3

United Kingdom 
If you have DTC P2002 your DPF is cracked and will need to be replaced

Check the inside of your tail pipes, if there is soot in there it proves it but I suspect there will be given the repeated engine management lights
Post #1027713 11th Mar 2024 10:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>