↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fuel filter priming + getting to my prop shaft nipples!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I also prime the empty fuel filter by switching on ignition about 10 times. Makes a gargling noise.
First time I had a bit of a problem to fully close the bayonet. Either use gloves with a good grip or, as I did, carefully use a belt-type oil filter wrench.

While your greasing the UJs, also put some grease under the drive flange water caps
https://www.kraxlr.de/maintenance.html#ujs
Post #1027196 7th Mar 2024 8:06pm
Gal Dove

Wales 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
macfrank - Wow! What a useful page! Many thanks!

I've also just bought a set of the rear X-member protectors from Glyn Lewis - yet to fit them but I think that I'll be using some of the K48 Moly grease that I bought from him at the same time to coat the rear area around the lights. Thumbs Up
Post #1027199 7th Mar 2024 8:29pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Smile
Post #1027205 7th Mar 2024 8:48pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
macfrank wrote:

While your greasing the UJs, also put some grease under the drive flange water caps
https://www.kraxlr.de/maintenance.html#ujs

I am glad I am not the only one doing this. It seems to help. I like to mix equal quantities of lithium grease with gear oil. It makes the grease flow better. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1027206 7th Mar 2024 8:54pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
BW - Yes, those end cap nipples are good to ensure every cap is filled rather than hoping it gets all the way into each, which it’ll like electrics will often take the path of least resistance, so some caps might not get any…
That’s why I like a grease gun with a good pressure which helps a bit more, but isn’t going to be 100% infallible.
The only thing with these nipples is, are they more exposed to damage with their external location, rather than internal towards the centre such as the single genuine one?
Suppose they can be replaced of course.

That power tool such is the Milwaukee 18v is the one yes, does it pump out the grease quite fast or at a typical rate? I bet the grease cost does mount up, the Defender doesn’t use much really considering compared to many other toys out there!
Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1027221 7th Mar 2024 9:44pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
custom90steve wrote:
... The only thing with these nipples is, are they more exposed to damage with their external location, rather than internal towards the centre such as the single genuine one? ...

The advantages outweigh the disadvantages in my opinion. If you're concerned about damage it is very easy to remove the nipple and blank the hole and only fit the nipple when you need to grease the joint. Only the diff-end nipple is vulnerable anyway, the inboard end is well away from hazards (and on my Def the front propshaft inboard end is above the underbody protection anyway). I have left all my nipples in place and not (yet) damaged one.

custom90steve wrote:
... the Milwaukee 18v ... does it pump out the grease quite fast or at a typical rate?...

It pumps at a steady rate but the motor is driving a piston similar to that on a manual gun. You can select whether you want a certain number of strokes of the pump, or whether you want it pump continuously while the trigger is pressed, by means of a rotary selector on the tool. I can't remember the numbered options, but is it something like 1, 2, 5 or 10 strokes. If you have it on this setting and then want more, just squeeze the trigger again. I've never bothered to count the number strokes per second, but the rate is brisk but controllable.

It's a good tool (as are all the Milwaukee M12 and M18 range) but so it should be at the price.
Post #1027293 8th Mar 2024 3:58pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Sounds good, I do like Milwaukee and a good range that they do as well. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1027319 8th Mar 2024 7:33pm
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
I have a grease gun that's air powered from the compressor. The air pressure drives a piston that pushes the grease. I've just ordered one of the locking couplers from Gwyn Lewis, I'll report in when it arrives.
Post #1027470 10th Mar 2024 11:03am
spudfan

Ireland 
Another with the 2.4. Like mentioned, just fill it with diesel then fit and start. Done it many times with no issues. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #1027796 12th Mar 2024 2:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12