Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JackNorris

United Kingdom 
CTEK and TMAX Split Charge
Hi all

Recently installed a TMAX Split Charge to my 90

300 TDI

I like to use a CTEK occasionally to keep it topped up, MXS 7 if it makes any odds.

Plugged it in today and found that it causes the relay to hop in and out, assuming as the charging voltage is fluctuating.

Anyone found a work around for this? I could link the batteries manually before charging?

Thanks
Post #1026364 29th Feb 2024 2:32pm
d-digby

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hi Jack
Not sure is this solves your problem but I used a CTEK MXS 5.0 on my Defender without any issues so if there are model differences between the CTEK 5 and 7 it might be a cause.
Barry
Post #1026367 29th Feb 2024 3:01pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I have this problem, different make of charger, but same type of thing. It's only a 3.8 amp max smart charger which I think is the crux of the issue. As my starting battery is charged, voltage rises to the point my voltage sensing relay (VSR) combines the 2 batteries. At that point the second battery drags down the overall combined voltage and the current of the charger isn't enough to compensate, so the VSR disconnects the 2 batteries. I then end up in a cycle of the VSR connecting and disconnecting.

The less than ideal solution for me is to disconnect the VSR sensing wire and charge the 2 batteries separately. I keep meaning to put a switch in the VSR sensing wire so I don't need to physically disconnect it from the battery terminal.

A better solution would be to get a VSR that has the function to force it to combine both batteries and then do that when you are charging. I thought your T-MAxx might have that function, but I guess not from your comments.

Another option would be a charger with a higher current rating such that the combined voltage doesn't drop below the cut-off voltage, but I don't know how many amps you would need. Also smart chargers do funny things with the battery voltage once they think the battery is full, so may not fully solve the issue. It would be a case of trial and error. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1026386 29th Feb 2024 6:09pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
As Bluest said.
I have an MXS 10 and a NL split charge and this on-off happens if both batteries have a very different SOC and one is deeply discharged or when both are really down. Happened only two or three times in years.
I installed a switch in the ground wire to the split charge electronics, to disable it. I also have CTEK connectors wired to each battery. I would then charge the deep discharged battery/ies separate.
Post #1026517 1st Mar 2024 9:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1