↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma Service & Maintenance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RlpV8

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Indus Silver
Puma Service & Maintenance
Can anyone advise me of a recommended local (North Bucks, Northants area), Independant Land Rover maintainer to look after my 2012 Puma 2.2. The dealer has been right next door to completely useless since I bought it and now it is out of warranty I want it looked after by someone who knows what they are doing. (Horror stories on request)!!
Post #539380 11th Jun 2016 2:21pm
williamthedog

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Tamar Blue
Why not service it yourself ?
There's plenty of posts on here if you're a bit unsure.
Also you would know its been done correctly then. Thumbs Up
Post #539463 11th Jun 2016 8:54pm
RlpV8

Thanks for that, not a bad idea.
Post #539472 11th Jun 2016 9:25pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Yup, the costs incurred in getting the required tools (depending on quality), may even net you a saving compared to getting someone else to do the service for you.

And as mentioned above, you know it was done properly with the correct oils Thumbs Up

The only caveat is time, you'll spend a bit of it taking it easy the first time round. Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #539486 11th Jun 2016 10:17pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I now service my own, the only concern you may have is one of not having a stamped service history. I keep the receipts for the consumables and record what I have done in the book. I too had no faith in my main dealer or pretty much anyone else for that matter, and I know I have used the correct oils and good quality filters (I buy my filter from Ford or LR or LR branded from UK reputable supplier) DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #539514 12th Jun 2016 7:38am
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I agree. If you can handle basic mechanical work, do it yourself.
I was quoted 695 for the 4th service on my 2012 110. It has only done 14k miles from new.
So I've done the service myself.

There is a 2.2 maintenance check sheet in this post thanks to Supercat :

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic25840....eque+sheet

And a great sticky here :

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic8707-75.html

I actually went beyond the service requirements and changed all the oils in the diffs, transfer box and main gearbox for peace of mind. I also popped half a sachet of swivel housing grease into each side just to be sure, even though they are supposed to be filled for life.

The trickiest bit is getting the 2.2 litres of oil into the main gearbox and there are a few posts on here on ways to do this. Ranging from cheap garden sprayers, to more expensive transmission oil pumps. I bought a "cheap" expensive pneumatic pump of fleebay for 60, but it will be there for future services.

I bought OE filters from Dan at Duckworths (air, oil, fuel and a new engine sump plug) and quality oils from Opie. Both are on this forum.

The oil, filters, swivel housing grease, brake fluid, oil pump tool and a 27mm socket with rounded corners for the oil filter removal all added up to +/- 220 and it probably took me 4 or 5 hours to do everything. I already had some suitable oil for the diffs, so it would have cost a little more if I had to buy the diff oil as well.

Next time it will be quicker and lower cost as I now know my way around each job and won't have to buy any tools.

I also have the satisfaction of knowing that everything has been done fully and that the stealer hasn't cut any corners.

Changing the transfer box & gearbox oils ahead of schedule seems a good idea too as I intend to keep the 110 for some time. I won't bother next year though. Just a level check on the t/box.

Even changing the brake fluid was hassle free. I had never bled a braking system with ABS before.
I just removed the old fluid from the reservoir, leaving just enough old fluid in there to cover the ports into the master cylinder. Then topped up with new DOT4 fluid.
Starting at the rear passenger side I connected a traditional piece of rubber bleeding tube with a slit cut in it, submerged in a jam jar of fluid to the bleed nipple. With the ignition switched off, my son pressed the brake pedal as I opened each bleed nipple, in the old fashioned "Down","Up" manner.
Worked my way round each calliper until clear fluid was coming out of the pipe, and job done.
Just remember to keep topping up the master cylinder as the process proceeds.

I've seen some cheap vacuum bleeders on ebay for 15 and next time the brake fluid needs changing, I am tempted to invest in one of these from the service cost savings.

The local stealer has quoted me 30 to do the annual corrosion inspection whilst I wait. I am going to get this done to preserve the 6 year warranty.

Local garage in the village did the MOT which is good as it gives him some business as well. Sailed through with no advisories.

The oil service reminder is reset by switching on the ignition, pressing the brake and accelerator pedals to the floor for 15 seconds, switching off the ignition and waiting 2 mins before switching on again. It worked for me.

The only thing I still need to do on the maintenance check sheet is "Clean the ambient temperature sensor". I have no idea where it is, but have started a new post to ask the question Very Happy
Post #539543 12th Jun 2016 8:55am
RlpV8

Thank you.
Thanks for all the advice, encouragement and information. I will now be servicing the Landie myself. I am no stranger to mechanical stuff but worried about the complexities of the electronics but having had a good look around Defender2.Net I am no longer that bothered as it seems you have most of the answers. Someone mentioned the service book issue, I'm not worried about that at all as I will never be parting with this vehicle so for me the important thing is to know that the servicing and maintenance is done properly. Thanks again, and I'm sure you can look forward to fielding a few more questions in the next few months. Service first and then I have to tackle a noisy wheel bearing. Thank again.
Post #539914 13th Jun 2016 7:46pm
stephan123

United Kingdom 
lohr500 wrote:
I agree. If you can handle basic mechanical work, do it yourself.
I was quoted �695 for the 4th service on my 2012 110. It has only done 14k miles from new.
So I've done the service myself.

There is a 2.2 maintenance check sheet in this post thanks to Supercat :

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic25840....eque+sheet

And a great sticky here :

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic8707-75.html

I actually went beyond the service requirements and changed all the oils in the diffs, transfer box and main gearbox for peace of mind. I also popped half a sachet of swivel housing grease into each side just to be sure, even though they are supposed to be filled for life.

The trickiest bit is getting the 2.2 litres of oil into the main gearbox and there are a few posts on here on ways to do this. Ranging from cheap garden sprayers, to more expensive transmission oil pumps. I bought a "cheap" expensive pneumatic pump of fleebay for �60, but it will be there for future services.

I bought OE filters from Dan at Duckworths (air, oil, fuel and a new engine sump plug) and quality oils from Opie. Both are on this forum.

The oil, filters, swivel housing grease, brake fluid, oil pump tool and a 27mm socket with rounded corners for the oil filter removal all added up to +/- �220 and it probably took me 4 or 5 hours to do everything. I already had some suitable oil for the diffs, so it would have cost a little more if I had to buy the diff oil as well.

Next time it will be quicker and lower cost as I now know my way around each job and won't have to buy any tools.

I also have the satisfaction of knowing that everything has been done fully and that the stealer hasn't cut any corners.

Changing the transfer box & gearbox oils ahead of schedule seems a good idea too as I intend to keep the 110 for some time. I won't bother next year though. Just a level check on the t/box.

Even changing the brake fluid was hassle free. I had never bled a braking system with ABS before.
I just removed the old fluid from the reservoir, leaving just enough old fluid in there to cover the ports into the master cylinder. Then topped up with new DOT4 fluid.
Starting at the rear passenger side I connected a traditional piece of rubber bleeding tube with a slit cut in it, submerged in a jam jar of fluid to the bleed nipple. With the ignition switched off, my son pressed the brake pedal as I opened each bleed nipple, in the old fashioned "Down","Up" manner.
Worked my way round each calliper until clear fluid was coming out of the pipe, and job done.
Just remember to keep topping up the master cylinder as the process proceeds.

I've seen some cheap vacuum bleeders on ebay for �15 and next time the brake fluid needs changing, I am tempted to invest in one of these from the service cost savings.

The local stealer has quoted me �30 to do the annual corrosion inspection whilst I wait. I am going to get this done to preserve the 6 year warranty.

Local garage in the village did the MOT which is good as it gives him some business as well. Sailed through with no advisories.

The oil service reminder is reset by switching on the ignition, pressing the brake and accelerator pedals to the floor for 15 seconds, switching off the ignition and waiting 2 mins before switching on again. It worked for me.

The only thing I still need to do on the maintenance check sheet is "Clean the ambient temperature sensor". I have no idea where it is, but have started a new post to ask the question Very Happy

It possible to bleed the brakes without taking the wheels off? I've swapped out all the oils/filters but stumped by the brake fluid change Sad
Post #1025971 25th Feb 2024 9:40pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
williamthedog wrote:
Why not service it yourself ?
There's plenty of posts on here if you're a bit unsure.
Also you would know its been done correctly then. Thumbs Up

+1 Only I prefer to get works on brakes or steering done for me, so brake fluid change and bleed for example as it’s safety critical and covers you.
Everything else is fine though, I did mine (service) last week. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1025977 25th Feb 2024 10:49pm
piechipsandpeas

Australia 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
stephan123 wrote:
It possible to bleed the brakes without taking the wheels off? I've swapped out all the oils/filters but stumped by the brake fluid change Sad

Yes it is. Access the caliper bleed nipples from under the car. Access to the front ones can be improved by turning the wheels left or right as required.
Post #1026008 26th Feb 2024 1:19pm
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
Quote:
The only thing I still need to do on the maintenance check sheet is "Clean the ambient temperature sensor". I have no idea where it is, but have started a new post to ask the question

If you ever find out where it is let me know. It's the only part of the service I've missed.
Post #1026045 26th Feb 2024 6:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1