↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Faults & Fixes (L663) > Trunk door doesn't open properly
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kulvershtukas

Estonia 
Trunk door doesn't open properly
Hi there. Got my LR Defender 23.5MY a week ago. All worked great, then the car went to the detailing for film appliance. Today got it back and there is a small issue, trunk door doesn't open properly any more. When button is pressed, the lock makes the noise and the lock kinda opens (door moves towards you), but if you pull the door it doesn't go there, like it is still held by the lock. I am sure that it worked ok before. And also sure that the door was not disassembled and all gaps and the hinges are still at the same place they were before.
Any ideas what could it be?
Post #1024597 13th Feb 2024 1:24pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
That’s an interesting question, because mine has a similar issue. My car had its PPF applied before I picked it up so I don’t know what the lock operation was like before the PPF was applied. I have assumed until now that the slightly erratic operation was because I wasn’t standing close enough to the rear of the car when pressing the latch button. I’ll see if I can test the door operation on another Defender when I get the chance. I’ll also talk to my detailer at some point

The Carpathian Edition has PPF installed from the factory so that tends to rule out the film causing the issue I guess.

My door does open so it’s not an urgent question for me at the moment.
Post #1024656 13th Feb 2024 11:04pm
kulvershtukas

Estonia 
Went to the dealer today, they checked everything and told its because of the PPF (film). The door rubber sits so tide to the body of the car that when it goes against the PPF edge, the lock feels the resistance and blocks the opening (the perimeter of the contact of the edge and rubber is so big that resistance is huge). So I went to the PPF installer straight away and they cut the PPF (made it shorter), so the door rubber is not in contact with PPF any more. And everything started to work as should. So problem solved. 
Post #1024684 14th Feb 2024 11:05am
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
Great! Thanks for the update
Post #1024820 15th Feb 2024 8:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1