Home > Td5 > Clutch sticking at lowest position
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
phillips321

2005 Defender 110 2.5 TD DCPU Belize Green
Clutch sticking at lowest position
Hi all,

My Defender TD5 has an issue where if I press the clutch all the way to the floor it sometimes sticks there. It's almost as though the LOF clutch spring doesn't doo anything at this bottom most position, is there anyway I can adjust this to prevent the clutch from going all the way to the floor and sticking?

Also the clutch pedal moves a good inch or so before any significant resistance is felt so the push rod I assume needs adjusting?

Kind regards,
Post #1024682 14th Feb 2024 10:43am
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Thats the downside of the spring. Change it for stock and no problem.

If youve got a stock slave cylinder then follow the standard instructions for the pedal set up. Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #1024692 14th Feb 2024 1:09pm
phillips321

Does the inch or so free play in the pedal potentially mean air in the line and would benefit from reverse bleeding?
Post #1024695 14th Feb 2024 1:32pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
No thats normal. Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #1024696 14th Feb 2024 1:42pm
Penfold_6290

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Re: Clutch sticking at lowest position
phillips321 wrote:
Hi all,

My Defender TD5 has an issue where if I press the clutch all the way to the floor it sometimes sticks there. It's almost as though the LOF clutch spring doesn't doo anything at this bottom most position, is there anyway I can adjust this to prevent the clutch from going all the way to the floor and sticking?

Also the clutch pedal moves a good inch or so before any significant resistance is felt so the push rod I assume needs adjusting?

Kind regards,

Hi, you need to do a couple of adjustments here. On the Td5 clutch pedal box in the engine bay there should be a bolt that limits the bottom travel of the pedal. If the LOF Power Spring goes over-centre it can hold the pedal down rather than let it return. Set the bottom travel limit so that you're not burying the pedal in the plush carpet!

Next you need to adjust the free travel on the clutch pedal that you mention. again in the engine bay you need to locate the 6 screws on the cover plate on the clutch master cylinder mechanism. You will see the rod has two lock nuts at the end closest to the cylinder and a nyloc nut on the far end. The distance between these nuts is where the free play comes from.

So my advice would be set the bottom stop bolt to eliminate the pedal staying down issue, then adjust the nuts on the rod to eliminate most of the free play. You want a little bit of free play but not as much as you say. You will have to sacrifice your least favourite 13mm open ended spanner by grinding away most of the metal in order for it to fit in the very tight space. You can set the pedal height by adjusting the position of the lock nuts and nyloc nut along the rod. A good diagram is here -

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post855167...20missing.

Click image to enlarge

Good luck, it takes patience and a bit of trial and error to get the bite point to where you want it. And a piece of wood propped against the seat box to hold the clutch pedal down while you're adjusting the nyloc nut.
Post #1024698 14th Feb 2024 1:45pm
phillips321

The distance between the nuts? Currently the nuts are compressing the bit in the middle and couldn’t possibly go any tighter. Do you mean the distance where the centre of the nuts lies on the rod removes the free play? Thanks
Post #1024703 14th Feb 2024 2:09pm
Penfold_6290

Normally the nuts wouldn't squeeze the bit attached to the pedal, there would be a millimetre or 2 'free play'. That inch or so of no resistance will not be eliminated by adjusting the pedal relative to the rod, because all you're doing there is adjusting the pedal height. Is the LOF clutch spring a new fitment or has it been on a while? It does change the characteristics of the pedal significantly, or at least mine did. I've just been out and operate the clutch a few times in mine, I get the same as you - an inch or so of nothing then resistance. I have a very high pedal position because I have the LOF Power Slave fitted with a relatively new clutch and I like the bite point a bit higher.

Have you done any work on the hydraulics part of the clutch system that would allow air in? Any change in fluid level at all?
Post #1024704 14th Feb 2024 2:18pm
phillips321

I've not made any changes but have gone through lots of deep water recently....

The "free play" at the top of the travel is still strong but looser if that makes sense. My pedal is also high.

I'll adjust the stop bolt to see if I can set it to where the pedal doesnt jam if pressed to the floor.

Many thanks
Post #1024705 14th Feb 2024 2:53pm
phillips321

Penfold_6290 wrote:
Normally the nuts wouldn't squeeze the bit attached to the pedal, there would be a millimetre or 2 'free play'. That inch or so of no resistance will not be eliminated by adjusting the pedal relative to the rod, because all you're doing there is adjusting the pedal height.

Also, I only have a nyloc nut and 1 not on the cylinder side, not like the photo that you posted that shows two nuts locked against each other.
Post #1024706 14th Feb 2024 2:55pm
Penfold_6290

No probs...if you can set the stop bolt so that the pedal returns correctly you can always then adjust the nuts on the rod to adjust the pedal height and hence the bite point if it is too high.
Post #1024707 14th Feb 2024 2:55pm
Penfold_6290

phillips321 wrote:
Penfold_6290 wrote:
Normally the nuts wouldn't squeeze the bit attached to the pedal, there would be a millimetre or 2 'free play'. That inch or so of no resistance will not be eliminated by adjusting the pedal relative to the rod, because all you're doing there is adjusting the pedal height.

Also, I only have a nyloc nut and 1 not on the cylinder side, not like the photo that you posted that shows two nuts locked against each other.

You should source a second nut and fit it in order to stop the single nut on the cylinder side of the rod walking up the thread ideally, this is probably why the nuts on both sides of the clutch pedal bush are done up so tight. But that would require some ingenuity to do without taking the master cylinder off the pedal box which is not an uncomplicated job.
Post #1024709 14th Feb 2024 2:59pm
4RF RDS

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
Easiest to lock a single nut it in place without removal of the master… is drop a couple drips of blue loctite on the shaft and snug it up Thumbs Up

Good luck 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
2003 Range Rover Mk III (Desmond FitzWilliam)
2000 Defender 110 CSW TD5 (CTX)
1992 Range Rover Classic (Lizzy)
1972 Series III 300 Tdi (Stanwood)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Post #1024799 15th Feb 2024 3:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1