↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Harry’s Garage Video
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
whiterdesign

United Kingdom 
Harry’s Garage Video
I know not really Defender related but Harry has just put out a YouTube video of why he has bought a D300 RR sport instead of a Hybrid or Electric to replace his hybrid RR . Really interesting. 110 XS 250 MY 23 Gondwana Stone, Cold climate pack and towbar
Post #1024080 9th Feb 2024 1:17pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
He also really liked the Defender 130 that he had on test.
Post #1024092 9th Feb 2024 2:15pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
I saw that. Very interesting and it’s the same reason I stuck with diesel. I also don’t buy the carbon footprint piece. There aren’t zero emissions to gas fired electricity, or battery manufacture so I don’t think it’s as big an environmental benefit as we’re lead to believe.
Post #1024095 9th Feb 2024 2:51pm
jsinclair

Australia 
It's a great video that I'm sure will upset a lot of people that are overly enthusiastic about a particular drivetrain type...

Accurately described our recent buying experience/decision process. EVs seemed extremely unattractive for us all things considered and a diesel Defender was a pretty simple choice. Great motor that suits the vehicle.
Post #1024443 12th Feb 2024 2:01am
BrickBox

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
He stated the PCP cost difference between an EV vs Diesel and that was staggering Shocked 2008 2.4 110 Utility XS.
Post #1024446 12th Feb 2024 7:43am
Co1

I spotted that. Makes sense as the depreciation is huge, so they need to cover that cost somewhere.
Post #1024471 12th Feb 2024 2:02pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Yeah watched it, very informative.

Interesting how when I look at Petrol/Diesel cars I can choose from simple but nice family cars (VW, BMW, etc) in all sorts of levels of refinements, but when I look for EVs I only find very complicated cars with lots of power like Harry also concluded. It is as if the manufactures collectively decided that the EV had to be whole different sort of thing - and obviously much more expensive.

But I just want the same car but Electric. I don't want a big screen or subscriptions or self driving features. I just feel they don't make many electric cars that I like.

So for that reason I am out.
Post #1024475 12th Feb 2024 2:50pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
BrickBox wrote:
He stated the PCP cost difference between an EV vs Diesel and that was staggering Shocked

I'm sure Harry buys his cars...... plus the car insurance was somewhat misleading. For me to insure Harry's car was £1962 / a Taycon was £900 ish.

However I agree on the spiraling power issue with EVs. Because you can doesn't mean you should.
Post #1024477 12th Feb 2024 3:03pm
Moo

Ukraine 
Very happy with my Dinosaur juice powered D250. Thumbs Up Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1024506 12th Feb 2024 5:59pm
XplusYplusZ

I am intrigued to see how the next 10 years transpire. It feels a little bit like we've started on down the EV rabbit hole and thre's no turning back, even if it was the wrong hole.

I don't have a driveway, like 1/3rd of the country. So if I were to move to an EV, I'd be reliant on the utter disaster which is the public charging wild west.

From ZapMaps Jan 2024 weighted avg. public charging figures; rapid charging an "average efficiency EV" will cost me approximately 24p per mile.

The D250 does easily 550miles on an 89litre tank at 149p a litre = 24p per mile...

But then trying to find a 7 seat 4x4 is a challenge... I found a KIA for £10-15k more than my basic 110. Or the Merc EQS & Volvo EX90 for £50k more..

Factor in the filthy battery production, and the poor uptake of renewables to produce electricity to power my 'zero emissions' vehicle, everything seems to suggest its really not the silver bullet the public have been sold on.
Post #1024508 12th Feb 2024 6:15pm
oop north

United Kingdom 
Co1 wrote:
I spotted that. Makes sense as the depreciation is huge, so they need to cover that cost somewhere.

No. Just no (in this case anyway).

It doesn’t take long to play with the RRS configurator to compare the phev (not EV - there is no full EV Range Rover sport available yet) and the diesel. The list price on the phev is £9k more with £3kW of that being from the base SE not being available with phev, you have to get the silly SE dynamic for that engine to become available. But the final optional payment is also £9k more. So pretty much identical depreciation - the real difference (and with standard deposit as offered in the configurator) is that Land Rover want you to pay 9.9% apr on the phev but only 5.9% on the diesel.

Oops nearly forgot there is a £5k deposit contribution on the diesel so there is a £14k difference up front so there is £5k more depreciation on the phev but that reflects the deposit contribution on the diesel

I am still quite cross with Land rover for not making an EV - had to get a bmw iX (used so someone else suffered a slug of depreciation) to replace my ipace which has over 500 silky bhp and a range of around 500 miles. Filing up a home costs me (after tax ) a maximum of about 6pm per mile unless the energy comes from my wind turbine or solar panels
Post #1024524 12th Feb 2024 7:41pm
Co1

^^^ Never twigged the difference on finance. How on earth do they justify that? The APR is surely just the cost of financing the loan, or is a loan on an EV somehow riskier?

Whichever way you look at it, and including the cost per mile mentioned by XplusYplusZ, there is no real financial justification to EVs of this size, and the jury is out for me on the green credentials.
Post #1024526 12th Feb 2024 8:04pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Quote:
^^^ Never twigged the difference on finance. How on earth do they justify that? The APR is surely just the cost of financing the loan, or is a loan on an EV somehow riskier?

When an item doesn't meet market targets than incentives need to be offered. Deposit contribution / 0% interest / low rate interest..... etc.
Post #1024568 13th Feb 2024 12:54am
nobbyclark

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
I saw it too and it piqued my interest in PCP deals, which I've previously avoided. There are some amazing deals to be had on new Defenders and despite myself, I'm going to the local dealer on Saturday to thrash out some numbers. Will hopefully be posting in the "Orders" thread very soon.
Post #1024625 13th Feb 2024 5:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1