↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Robustec - photos?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
XplusYplusZ

Robustec - photos?
Morning All,

I am trying to understand what 'robustec' fabric looks like and its benefits over leather.

Does anyone have any photos / experience with it? As I understand it, it is different to the basic fabric seats, but it is still very much a man-made/fabric looking material. ie. It is not a 'fake leather' like BMW Sensatec which looks and feels like leather.

I think I spotted it in an X-dynamic vehicle, and it was a kind of tightly spaced polkadot vinyl facing with a hard wearing fabric underneath. Is that it?

Any close ups / feedback on it would be great.
Post #919286 31st Aug 2021 8:43am
Ajay(UK)

England 
I too had reservations over the Robustec material, not because I thought it would stain like the "hastily dropped" fabric that marked too easily on earlier models, but because I thought it may "cheapen" the look of the Windsor leather.

We ordered an X Dynamic HSE so had no choice over the Robustic trim but having lived with it for over a month it looks fine and complements the leather well. If it is as durable as claimed then it should hold up well when compared to the leather over time.

Hope these help from car collection day Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Andy. 22MY Defender 110 X Dynamic HSE D250, Gondwana Stone with too many options!
Gone: 2015 L405 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver with Black Pack.
Gone: 2014 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury Firenze Red
Post #919303 31st Aug 2021 10:39am
Loafer

United Kingdom 
Very interesting - I didn't realise the X Dynamic HSE had different seats to the normal HSE
Post #919316 31st Aug 2021 1:06pm
XplusYplusZ

Ajay(UK) wrote:

We ordered an X Dynamic HSE so had no choice over the Robustic trim but having lived with it for over a month it looks fine and complements the leather well. If it is as durable as claimed then it should hold up well when compared to the leather over time.

Thanks Andy. I'm very jealous - that Windsor leather looks great, and I guess the robustec is supposed to help keep it that way.

What drew you to the x-dynamic over regular HSE?
Post #919318 31st Aug 2021 1:27pm
Ajay(UK)

England 
X Dynamic is the only version (other than X) where you can specify the dark grey cross beam - a non-negotiable for my wife Rolling Eyes

That also meant gloss black sides which led us to spec the extended black pack to give gloss black front and rear bumpers which in turn led to having the extended wheel arches and other "accessories" painted gloss black to loose all the silver bits Wink

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Andy. 22MY Defender 110 X Dynamic HSE D250, Gondwana Stone with too many options!
Gone: 2015 L405 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver with Black Pack.
Gone: 2014 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury Firenze Red
Post #919349 31st Aug 2021 4:16pm
XplusYplusZ

It's a slippy slope! At least you got sign-off from the boss. (And it looks great!)
Post #919466 1st Sep 2021 7:47am
NYK 04

United Kingdom 
Hope you can help. The picture you have shown is different to what the salesman has said I will get on a 2024 model. The finishers which can now have the Robustec finish is what she has said the seats are trimmed with which I don't like. Has anyone got a new defender with these type of seats
Post #1024375 11th Feb 2024 6:45pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
My Robustec interior has held up well over 10,000 miles but l think it's a mistake to have it on the interior door handle, as it looks dirty/stained all the time. You can clean it, but as soon as you've used the door handle a couple of times it's stained again.

l am waiting for someone to offer a plastic interior door handle.
Post #1024395 11th Feb 2024 8:08pm
NYK 04

United Kingdom 
It's not on there aswell is it 🤦🏻‍♀️. Could you upload a picture to show me. I'm going to see if I can just have Windsor leather instead.
Post #1024427 11th Feb 2024 11:23pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Here it is on the door interior handle. lt just looks scruffy all the time.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1024463 12th Feb 2024 12:12pm
J77

Scotland 
It does attract the dirt, I use these two products which seem to keep it at bay though you do need to keep on top of it.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #1024464 12th Feb 2024 12:21pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
The Robustec is fine everywhere else but in my opinion it's a bad idea to put any kind of fabric material on a door handle.

The handle should be plastic.
Post #1024505 12th Feb 2024 5:57pm
XplusYplusZ

The robustec is the 'dotty' fabric around the outsides of the X-dynamic seats.

I don't think they put it on the door handles shown by lightning - that's some other type of faux leather fabric I think.

I think they're referring to these guys:

Click image to enlarge

Which sit to the sides of the centre console. I've seen these in robustec I think.

The textile Lightning is referring to is absolutely awful. I'll definitely try that cleaning product.
Post #1024511 12th Feb 2024 6:24pm
XplusYplusZ

I took a photo of the robustec fabric on my driver's side seat last night - view from standing outside with the door open.

You can see the centre of the seat is leather, with the edging of the seat being Robustec fabric - it's a heavy duty fabric with very small hard wearing dots of pleathery material. It's both soft, compliant but also hard wearing. I was worried about the dots rubbing off or wearing down, but so far, a year in, so good. It actually polishes up with wear, a bit like leather. I guess it doesn't crease as much as leather or pleather due to the gaps between the dots allowing movement. This part of the seat takes a lot of abuse as I don't have a side step, there's a fair amount of 'scootching' across this portion of the seat upon entry.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1024592 13th Feb 2024 1:09pm
XplusYplusZ

NYK 04 wrote:
Hope you can help. The picture you have shown is different to what the salesman has said I will get on a 2024 model. The finishers which can now have the Robustec finish is what she has said the seats are trimmed with which I don't like. Has anyone got a new defender with these type of seats

'Trimmed with' Robustec is how I would describe mine. Not the entire seat, but the exterior-most panels. It's not as nice as full leather, but the x-dynamics only come with Robustec. I liked the other styling features of x-dynamic so sucked it up and went for the robustec seat trims - they're fine and feel quite utilitarian whilst not being a million miles from leather.

I wonder if the sales rep meant the 'RESIST' seats?

There's a thread here with the Resist seat fabrics shown. A user on here called Stingray had the Khaki Resist seats - they looked fine. I wonder how they held up.

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post955269.html

Depending on if you go for X-dynamic or not, you can get Resist+Robustec edges, or full Resist Seats respectively.
Post #1024596 13th Feb 2024 1:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1