↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Front Diff
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Harry dog

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Front Diff
I know there's already lots of posts on here about faulty Diffs but just wanted to ask a question to those that know......My 2012 110 USW has been making howling noises when accelerating and the odd grinding/clattering noise from the underside of the vehicle at the front for the past few months. Last week there was a much bigger clonk from somewhere around the front axle and the clattering noise is now there all the time when coasting down a hill not under any load. The noise goes away when under load up a hill and makes a sound like there's a stone in the tyre when driving on the flat.

The garage I take it to have diagnosed a faulty front diff and are looking for a replacement to swap it over. The question is....should I still be driving it at all whilst it's making these noises and how much more damage could it do to the front axle/drive chain it completely fails?!

Thanks
Harry
Post #1023932 8th Feb 2024 8:34am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I strongly recommend that you don't. When mine failed the diff locked solid resulting in it immediately becoming nearly impossible to steer (had it not been a very wet day with the result that the road was fairly slippery I probably could not have steered). I've heard of other failures locking the axle solid, which clearly also presents great danger to both the occupants and other road others.

Not worth the risk.

It's also probably asking for legal trouble driving a vehicle which you know to be defective and unroadworthy.
Post #1023937 8th Feb 2024 9:21am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
As above. Miffy's front diff locked up at 30mph locked up the front wheels and both the wife and I were hanging from our seat belts. Was really dramatic and thank goodness we were only doing a slow speed, the road was empty and dry.

The replacement diff (a recon'd unit from Ashcroft 10 years earlier) came within a hairs breadth of doing exactly the same thing. Caught it during an oil change last summer (see the Miffy workshop thread) when a piece of gear tooth was stuck to the diff plug magnet. An investigation with an endoscope later showed the planetary gears were disintegrating. I doubt they would have driven another 5 miles. Shocked
Post #1023940 8th Feb 2024 10:44am
custom90

United Kingdom 
I shall have to get some of those magnetic diff drain plugs myself, I shall be changing my diffs oil this year so ideal timing.

Another thing is, avoidance of damage to the other components which could wreck otherwise components with lots of life in them.
When I had a rear prop UJ let go, wasn’t long after rear damper bushes needed replacing, A frame bushes and a new ball joint as well on top of the UJ’s.
Which was why I replaced UJ’s on both front and rear Props, as although the front seemed okay if I would have just done the rear it wouldn’t be long before the front would be problematic.

The rear DM’s and halfshafts are easier to change, but seems to have a shorter life than the front end.

I would agree with BW and GB, it’s just not worth it the risk involved, the rear you could get away with temporary but not the front.

Hope you get it sorted soon. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1023980 8th Feb 2024 3:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1