↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Power line and weather warning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
lightning

United Kingdom 
Never get out of your vehicle if a power line falls on to it. Even if it ends up on the ground next to your vehicle.

You'll be safe inside until someone turns off the power to the cable and moves it.
Post #1021890 20th Jan 2024 1:46pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Yes, with the only exception being lethal fire. Depends how fact the incident is responded to, in some case unfortunately quite a long time. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1021893 20th Jan 2024 2:12pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Interesting thread, considering this part of what I do to earn a living 🤣
.just a peeve - power is distributed on power poles, not telegraph poles.

I can only reiterate the advice already to keep as far away as possible, especially from fallen poles/wires. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #1022304 23rd Jan 2024 6:16pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
We have power and telephone lines on the same poles here, but not all of them.
Some of them are dedicated to power, some dedicated to telephone, and some shared with both.

Then there is the galv Pylons, but those are being changed over to other designs, I’m not a fan of the new designs really, but that’s just me. What do other people think?

Is the it true the copper telephone lines are being phased out? I heard that it was going to go VoIP instead, possibly, with a phasing out process?

I decided to get rid of the landline and Wi-Fi and go for 4 & 5G, speeds are around the same and just as reliable.
The cost of Wi-Fi packages and the annoyance they are to set up is too much imho, for what you get.
They are always consistently increasing the prices, and unless you use internet TV streaming, online gaming, or other high use streaming then I can’t see the point.
Though a lot depends on where you are, what reception there is and what the use is likely to be.

Regarding the few normal storms we’ve had, there hasn’t been too much damage here luckily, but, there has been tree fallen on the roads.
Unfortunately, there has been a few deadly crashes though, I’m not sure if that’s due to fallen trees or poor conditions or both.

You can’t do much more than warn people, unfortunate there is always some that won’t listen. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1022307 23rd Jan 2024 7:12pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Quote:
Is the it true the copper telephone lines are being phased out? I heard that it was going to go VoIP instead, possibly, with a phasing out process?

I decided to get rid of the landline and Wi-Fi and go for 4 & 5G, speeds are around the same and just as reliable.
The cost of Wi-Fi packages and the annoyance they are to set up is too much imho, for what you get.
They are always consistently increasing the prices, and unless you use internet TV streaming, online gaming, or other high use streaming then I can’t see the point.
Though a lot depends on where you are, what reception there is and what the use is likely to be.

The Public switched telephone network (PSTN) which supports the traditional voice service and uses copper lines to the home is being switched off, with a view to completion by end 2025. it is being replaced by a voice over internet protocol (VOIP) service that runs over broadband technologies. This service can run over Fibre to the premises ( FTTP ) , I.e fibre all the way to your home, or over broadband solutions that use copper from the telephone exchange to your home or fibre from the exchange to a green street cabinet and copper from the cabinet to your home.
So until fibre goes to every home in the UK, which is a far way off...if ever ! there will still be customers making use of copper as an element of their voice or broadband service.

As for streaming services, at some point TV broadcast services, i.e BBC, ITV , C4 etc will move to broadband so the TV broadcast frequencies can be reused, again this is a long way off but at that point people will need good internet speeds and unrestricted data, which 4G/5G etc wont be able to provide cost effectively for the mass market.
Post #1022309 23rd Jan 2024 8:33pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
custom90steve wrote:
We have power and telephone lines on the same poles here, but not all of them.
Some of them are dedicated to power, some dedicated to telephone, and some shared with both.

Certainly dual construction exists, telephone always lower down the pole than power. Where it's got electricity conductors it's a power pole with the phone added, and will be built to power specs, usually thicker, taller poles and stays etc. the pole will be "owned" by the power company. Sometimes the power will be put underground, the top of the pole will be cut off and it will be transferred to telecoms ownership and will no longer be the responsibility of the power company. So far as I know they no longer build dual utility as the powers that be don't really want telephone engineers getting near power lines, for obvious reasons. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #1022398 24th Jan 2024 5:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lightning

United Kingdom 
lf a (suspected) live power cable falls on your vehicle, and the vehicle is still working is its safe to drive away in order to get the fallen power cable off your vehicle?
Post #1023406 3rd Feb 2024 10:59am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I would, it should be.
Post #1023408 3rd Feb 2024 11:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12