↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > off topic - convert a Dewalt radial arm saw for stone?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
off topic - convert a Dewalt radial arm saw for stone?
As per title, does anyone know if a Dewalt radial arm saw can be successfully and safely converted to use a diamond blade for use with stone?

As a wood saw it was great but now superceded by a sliding compound mitre saw and a stone saw would be useful....

Cheers Keith
Post #1023243 1st Feb 2024 5:33pm
jcw

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Not quite the same scenario but I’ve used a masonry blade in a Bosch circular saw to cut a thick slate slab (snooker table bed) to create a T shaped fireplace hearth, c50mm thick.

I continually wet the cutting area with a slow running hose and the cut was clean & smooth.

I guess it comes down to whether you can source the right masonry blade for the tool you’re planning to use?
Post #1023246 1st Feb 2024 5:53pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I’ve not used one in a saw that large, but the stainless diamond discs I have used in a small grinder.

If you use wet, then you’ve got to be careful of the power supply for obvious reasons, but does cut down heat.
You can use dry, but only short periods of time to cut down heat build up which is okay for small projects.
But you need to bear in mind the dust, the area you are in being contaminated and respirators PPE being a must.

Segment discs clear material and dust faster, but can be prone to leaving a rough finish and I’d be very careful about it jumping, catching, pinching or jamming especially if a big disc…
Not ideal for precision or delicate materials like porcelain tiles etc.
It will keep cooler though

A smooth faced disc is imo safer, but slower to work with, clears less material and can get hotter faster.

But, as mentioned, depends on if you can get that size disc and if it fits, and if you can, I expect they are expensive.
Ideally, you want the saw to have an E brake, and be EXTREMELY careful with it in case it jams.
Stone or concrete dust is nasty stuff also, so you definitely don’t want to breathe it in.
As mentioned, doing wet cutting helps with that, but is easier said than done as you’d need a spray jet rig and then beware of the power supply and water combo.

If precision isn’t so much of an issue I’d tend to think about using a grinder instead. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 1st Feb 2024 7:49pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1023249 1st Feb 2024 6:08pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Thanks guys, yes I've done granite worktops with a circular saw and diamond blade with SWMBO using a hose on the blade to superb effect and I've a big Stihl stone saw with water cooling - but its heavy, my back is bad and looking to rough cut the backs off limestone pieces as I need to face a wall and want it looking like the rest of the house / barn.

Probably look at getting a proper one and keep fingers and back intact!

Cheers Keith
Post #1023255 1st Feb 2024 7:35pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I think you just need to be mindful of the speed of your saw and the maximum speed of your cutting disc. I believe saws designed for cutting wood spin faster than masonry saws. I may be wrong.
Post #1023260 1st Feb 2024 8:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1