↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics (L663) > Digi Dash - Sat Nav Settings?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Digi Dash - Sat Nav Settings?
I assumed, wrongly, that changing the main SatNav settings would tie up to the way the map is displayed in the Digi Dash; however, it does not appear to. The map in the dash is set to North Up and I'd rather it shows the vehicle in the direction of travel (3D?)

I've faffed about but cannot find the setting, if there is one, to change the display style in the dash.

Does anyone know if this is possible to amend?
Post #1022958 29th Jan 2024 9:52pm
Ritson

France 
Definitely can do it as mine does, no idea how to set it up though as it worked like this from the day I got the car. I'm sure other tech gurus on here will explain though! Current: MY22 P400e SE
Prior: Discovery Sport HSE, Jaguar F-Type S, Discovery 3, RR Vogue
Post #1023005 30th Jan 2024 11:25am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Do you both have the same software version? It could be in there..
I would get the dealer to sort it out, they are paid to do it after all & it maybe that it needs an update.

I know the issue you mean, it defies sense when it doesn’t follow the direction of travel it basically just has a map spinning around on its axis point otherwise. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 30th Jan 2024 5:54pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1023012 30th Jan 2024 2:43pm
Mr Fox

Thank you both and glad I'm not going mad! I've spent a fair amount of time trying to find the setting to alter the view of the digi dash map display but cannot see it anywhere.

Ritson, glad to know yours works as it should!

Steve, the latest version - whatever that is - I checked and it said no updates were available, so it is the latest. I'll give the dealer a call and see what they have to say. As they've done away with printed manuals, trying to get to the bottom of things that should be easy ends up being more challenging than it should!
Post #1023016 30th Jan 2024 3:22pm
pjeski

United States 
One thing I've noticed on mine is that the display is 2D unless I am navigating (a destination is set). Then it is 3D.
Post #1023020 30th Jan 2024 3:45pm
Mr Fox

I think it may be a software issue...

Since collecting the Defender, I've always had my phone with me and had it connected to the car; however, today, when I was trying to work out whether I was missing a setting, I went out to the 90 without my phone and the central dash screen acted as it should and pulled the preferences across from the main screen.

Therefore, without my phone (iphone) connect to the car, the digital dash shows the navigation map in the same format as the main screen – in my case, displaying the direction of travel. So, it is doing exactly what I expected: sharing my preferences with the main nav screen.

However, the moment I entered the car again with my phone, and it connects to the car, the nav in the digital dash screen reverts to North Up display and ignores the sat nav settings in the main screen.

Rolling Eyes

Have asked the dealership if they have a solution but would be interested to hear if anyone else has this issue?

Last edited by Mr Fox on 30th Jan 2024 6:05pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1023024 30th Jan 2024 5:09pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
There sounds like there is a software glitch.

Is there an App you are using? I know very little about the new Defs but if there is an App.
Perhaps the phone has a different setting upon it when connected causing it to revert to the phone settings.

I use TomTom Go, via Apple car play which is different but all the same sometimes App updates.
Sometimes auto updates it does its self, will alter the App settings and then in turn when you go to use it things are different to what you are used to.
You may not even realise until you go to use it, which is why now I always check the phone and a[p settings before I go to use sat nav, especially for a long journey.

I’m assuming LR have their own dedicate nav system in the new ones is that correct?
Presumably it has CarPlay integrated into it additionally side by side? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1023028 30th Jan 2024 6:01pm
Mr Fox

No app - direct connection via Apple Car Play - seamless and in fairness to JLR, nicely done wireless connection.

Upon finding the glitch, I did read back into all the threads on the forum and the only thing I found was one where someone mentioned that it was a shame that the LR system didn't pull across your choice of nav from your phone and display it in the digi dash. On the same thread, there was a comment that JLR have said it was due to the app makers not offering the option, rather than JLR blocking it.

In my case, I use WAZE - since having it, I never use any in-car software because I have found it to be far superior.

Again, JLR handle this well - the moment the phone links, it allows you to use Apple Car Play to chose the nav system. The LR one runs in the background, and populates the digi dash, even when you are running nav from Car Play in the main screen.

My guess is that this is where the issue is - the sat nav in the LR defaults to base settings, rather than customer settings, when the phone is connected.

The current solution would be to chose a different centre screen for the dash. Off the top of my head, the options are: a clock, a picture of the Defender, the 4WD system, what media is play, a multi function trip computer or the NAV. I went with nav because it seemed the most useful; however, the fact it is constantly scrolling 'the wrong way' gets frustrating, so I will opt for another until I can work out what I am doing wrong OR (I'm doing nothing wrong and need to wait for...) JLR fix it.

Would still be interested to know if anyone else is experiencing this?

PS - 90 is a 2024 model.
Post #1023030 30th Jan 2024 6:16pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
How do you find the phone battery to last wirelessly connected? Does it tend to last quite well or drain?

Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1023036 30th Jan 2024 7:31pm
Mr Fox

Mine is a few years old, so battery is a little tired but to be honest, I don't find it too bad.

Saying that, the Defender 90 has so many USB ports that you are spoilt for choice as to where to plug it in! I feel like it is a Millennials dream car - there must be at least five within the front cabin and then, on my 90, another 2/3 lighter sockets Rolling Eyes
Post #1023043 30th Jan 2024 8:23pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I suspect the issue is that the car is defaulting to displaying Apple Maps in the driver display when CarPlay is connected. I found mine did this after the last update.

I don’t like Apple Maps and much prefer to use either the built in pivi pro navigation, or Google maps. I found that I had to delete the Apple Maps app from my phone, and that way it reverted to displaying the pivi map by default in the dash.
Post #1023049 30th Jan 2024 8:45pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
You might be able to prove the issue by switching the navigation back to the pivi pro on the main screen, this should alter the map type on the drivers display too.

To note - at the moment the only ‘phone app’ navigation systems that are compatible with the drivers display are Apple Maps for iPhones connected via CarPlay, and Google maps for android phones connected by android auto.
Post #1023050 30th Jan 2024 8:48pm
Mr Fox

Retroanaconda wrote:
I suspect the issue is that the car is defaulting to displaying Apple Maps in the driver display when CarPlay is connected. I found mine did this after the last update.

I don’t like Apple Maps and much prefer to use either the built in pivi pro navigation, or Google maps. I found that I had to delete the Apple Maps app from my phone, and that way it reverted to displaying the pivi map by default in the dash.

I don't believe it is pulling Apple Maps across because it looks identical to the JLR nav program. Also, I thought Apple map defaults to direction of travel and the map in the dash is definitely North Up.

Hopefully WAZE do what they need to do to make the app show on the dash, although I think chances are slim and more than likely JLR will need to mod the software, rather than WAZE adapting theirs.

I'll post if the dealer gives me a solution but appreciate all the opinions and comments.
Post #1023061 30th Jan 2024 11:21pm
denhams

United States 
The ability for a CarPlay-enabled app to use a vehicle's instrument cluster display was introduced in iOS 15.4. The app needs to be coded to support multiple windows and, specifically, the instrument cluster. JLR has already done its bit, so it's up to app developers to modify their code. When using such an app (e.g., Apple Maps), the map in the instrument cluster will be provided by the app (when running CarPlay); otherwise, that map will be provided by JLR's Pivi Pro navigation. If you are interested, the CarPlay App Programming Guide (https://developer.apple.com/carplay/docume...-Guide.pdf) has more information. 1981 Series III 88 Santana Especial
2020 Defender 110 SE
2023 Tesla Model 3 RWD
Post #1023066 31st Jan 2024 2:12am
Mr Fox

denhams wrote:
The ability for a CarPlay-enabled app to use a vehicle's instrument cluster display was introduced in iOS 15.4. The app needs to be coded to support multiple windows and, specifically, the instrument cluster. JLR has already done its bit, so it's up to app developers to modify their code. When using such an app (e.g., Apple Maps), the map in the instrument cluster will be provided by the app (when running CarPlay); otherwise, that map will be provided by JLR's Pivi Pro navigation. If you are interested, the CarPlay App Programming Guide (https://developer.apple.com/carplay/docume...-Guide.pdf) has more information.

Interesting - thank you! Thumbs Up

I remember in another thread on here that a user mentioned flagging it up to WAZE support; will be interesting to see if they amend their app to work with the JLR system.
Post #1023078 31st Jan 2024 8:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>