Home > In Car Electronics > What am I missing? - Looms
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DefenderSTW

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 SW Firenze Red
What am I missing? - Looms
Evening All.

New defender TD5 owner here, not sure if I have made the right decision yet as my list of fixes and must have's is quite long already!! - but I'm initially wondering if someone could help with a little electrical/loom query.

The lights don't come on when the doors are opened. I have changed all door switches with no change. I have heard it could be something to do with the ECU so I would be interested if someone has had this issue before?

Anyway, whilst investigating, I found 2 connectors in the fuse area behind the gear lever. Blue and a brown, currently not connected to anything. - Photo attached. - What are these for?

I also have one above the driver head space wound up, not sure what it's for but I loose it behind the dash. Again, I attach photos.

thanks for your time, hopefully with your help and input I can turn this TD5 into a dream machine!

Best,
STW.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1016570 27th Nov 2023 9:14pm
PoormansXS

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Buckingham Blue
Someone else should be able to tell you more here soon but I have the same issue one mine (defender owner since august)

Lights working fine on position but do not function with doors.

as far as I currently understand it the door switches tell the 10AS alarm control unit when/how to run the interior light. I did come across a post mentioning some parameters to check when accessing with a nanocom. I currently don’t have a nanocom so I’m unable to confirm this. Will be keen to hear more from experienced members (I could be talking waffle)
Post #1016575 27th Nov 2023 9:36pm
DefenderSTW

Hi, thanks for the reply!

They are odd machines, I have always wanted one, but they are bloody awful. I’m hoping to resolve a few things then hopefully enjoy driving it but first I have a list as long as my arm to fix, it’s been completely stripped inside as it was beyond saving so I have a bit to get on with…

I am not aware about the alarm. I have heard scare stories so I haven’t even pressed the button yet. Especially as when I bought it, all I received was the V5. No history, books, codes etc. just hope I haven’t bought a pig…!
Post #1016606 28th Nov 2023 10:36am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
The large brown connector fixed to the exterior of the fuse panel is where the air conditioning loom plugs in to so the ECU knows you have AC.
Post #1016608 28th Nov 2023 10:43am
DefenderSTW

Excellent thanks, I shall go label it up!
Post #1016613 28th Nov 2023 11:23am
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Blue is a header joint, not a connector. It is just a termination/bus point for a number of cables/circuits.

Coiled up one is a cable for the ultrasonic/volumetric alarm sensor. 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #1016614 28th Nov 2023 11:27am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
for the interior light, this is controlled by the 'alarm and immobilizer module 10AS'. Typically small green box on the bulkhead that every TD5 has even the basic ones as the ECU communicates with it.

All the door switches end up there and then the interior light is powered from it. Even in the poor-man spec it provides a few features like staying on a bit and then fading out.

Also more importantly for you the 10AS eventually kills the interior lights if you leave the door open to avoid draining the battery (like in the old days). It also means that if you have a fault in your door switch wiring where it goes to ground, the interior light will have timed out a long time ago and now no longer received any open/close signals. Try and see if your wire is going to ground permanently either through a faulty switch or a broken wire.

Some cars have a bonnet switch is tend to go bad and is best removed from the circuit.
Post #1016623 28th Nov 2023 1:16pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
DefenderSTW wrote:
Hi, thanks for the reply!

They are odd machines, I have always wanted one, but they are bloody awful. I’m hoping to resolve a few things then hopefully enjoy driving it but first I have a list as long as my arm to fix, it’s been completely stripped inside as it was beyond saving so I have a bit to get on with…

I am not aware about the alarm. I have heard scare stories so I haven’t even pressed the button yet. Especially as when I bought it, all I received was the V5. No history, books, codes etc. just hope I haven’t bought a pig…!

I wouldn’t agree that they are bloody awful - odd yes - quirky yes - try and enjoy your new pride and joy, and think of how many skills (and injuries) you will develop whilst working on it.

Good look in resolving the issues.

Enjoy!
Post #1016655 28th Nov 2023 9:45pm
DefenderSTW

Re the air conditioning loom…I don’t have AC and don’t plan to install it so does anyone know what’s stopping me from nabbing the live, switched live and earth to repurpose for heated seats?

There are so many differing opinions out there on how to wire up, some using the 12v socket, others putting dedicated fuse boxes in under the seats. I’m into doing a job well but if this connector is here and not utilised I’m seriously giving it the eye to reuse.

Thanks all!
Post #1022180 22nd Jan 2024 4:11pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Nothing at all. I repurposed the fusebox slots for the supply to my rear work light and central locking systems, just left the old terminals taped up neatly in the loom.

You can buy spare fusebox terminals which makes for a very neat job.
Post #1022261 23rd Jan 2024 7:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1