↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > New product required, (Martin ? )
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ashtrans
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
New product required, (Martin ? )
OK, so its what can be termed a first world problem I admit but on these cold mornings it would be great to put on the heated screen and heated seats remotely once the car is running from the app.

I don't know why LR don't have this option on the remote app.

I am no electronics expert but would it be possible to fit a module to the can bus with a SIM card linked to a simple phone app to turn these 2 on when required ?

I would buy one !

any thoughts ? Dave
Post #1021885 20th Jan 2024 1:34pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
lt probably would be possible, but l find that the heated screen defrosts very quickly even when it's -7deg C

And the heated seats work within about a minute of turning them
on.

lf you've already started the engine remotely the heated screen is going to work even faster as
the cabin heater will have started to work, l can't see much benefit from having the heated seats and screen come on remotely as well.
Post #1021886 20th Jan 2024 1:39pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I’m pretty sure the heated screens (front and rear) can be set to come on automatically when the car is started, if it is below a certain temperature?

Personally I wouldn’t see a huge benefit either as you still have to scrape the other windows and in the time it takes to do that the front and rear have defrosted nicely.
Post #1021891 20th Jan 2024 1:47pm
chpsk8

United States 
Using the app, I'm not convinced that the front/rear glass heaters actually turn on. If I just use the key and start the vehicle I know that they come on under a certain temp.

I agree that it would be great to be able to turn on the seat and glass on. When it's -12c or worse every minute counts.

I've had some weird instances using the remote app. A couple times I've come out after running it for 30 minutes and it shutting off.. then I show up 5 minutes later and start it, and look down and my seat is on. Only happens after running a full remote start cycle.

I also went to get groceries the other night. Parked and went into the store. As soon as I went into the store I restarted the car via the app so it would stay warm (it's cold here...)
When I came back out I could hear the radio booming away in the car. The doors were locked and the PIVI was on and it was belting out tunes from Spotify (my usual source).
I've never seen the radio on or even the PIVI screen when using the app.

Hasn't happened since then, but I'll be looking out for it.

I wonder if there could be a GAP solution. Maybe there's a CCF that controls what happens when the remote start is engaged. If it wasn't so bleeping cold I'd go flip through the screens and see.
Post #1021913 20th Jan 2024 4:22pm
PNW Rover

United States 
We have a '22 GMC Yukon Denali that remote starts via fob, app, or Apple Watch. In winter it automatically senses cold conditions and turns on the heater, heated seats, AND heated steering wheel. I need to look, maybe even defrosters.

In summer when doing a remote start it will sense the warm temp and automatically turn on the a/c AND the cooled seats. It is probably one of our favorite things about the Yukon. I'll bet there are no additional parts or module costs to GMC to do this feature, only programming time to trigger certain events after a remote start and assessing outside temperature.

You'd seriously think some JLR programmer could get the "if" statements written into the software within a day, so then why haven't they?

The other two cool features are:

1) Want to leave the vehicle running parked longer than the 20 minute engine shut down time? When starting the vehicle just hold the 'push to start button' down and continue hold it down until the screen message stating "Auto Shutdown Disabled" appears in a few seconds. The Yukon will now run in park until it is out of gas.

2) Want to leave your dogs in a running Yukon with the HVAC going full blast? Do the disabled engine shutdown and then on your way out the door push a button that disables the interior motion sensor. Then just exit the vehicle and lock and arm with your fob. Full security less interior motion my two Bernese Mountain Dogs are famous for setting off.

Hmmmmm. I'm getting rid of the excellent Yukon dog hauler for a V8 130 for what reason????
Post #1021946 20th Jan 2024 9:56pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Yukon Denali’s are sweet. Thumbs Up Cool Do you have any pics? Thumbs Up

In GB, we can’t have remote start (as far as I’m aware). A similar stupidity as we are still requiring a TV License. Rolling Eyes

Regards this product suggestion, wouldn’t secured Bluetooth or Wi-Fi make more sense? Cheaper, no cell network costing, and sensible to be in the vicinity. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1021956 20th Jan 2024 11:06pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
We do have remote start here Rolling Eyes
Post #1021957 20th Jan 2024 11:08pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
As far as I’m aware it’s not lawful to have an engine running on public road or area unattended in the U.K. RTA, with a few very minor exceptions such as making deliveries etc.

Private land is a different matter of course.

Sure you can have it, but…

A lot of vehicles get stolen by being ran unattended in icy weather, it’s a known fact in winter time.
Though I expect on modern systems they stay locked, whilst running until unlocked by owner for security. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1021959 20th Jan 2024 11:20pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Yes, that’s the whole point of remote start - so you don’t have to leave the keys in it and the car stays secure.

I never use it as I don’t believe cold idling is good for a diesel engine, but many folk do it seems. A remote controlled fuel burning heater is a much better solution.
Post #1021960 20th Jan 2024 11:30pm
whiterdesign

United Kingdom 
my screens work on remote start but not seats or steering wheel, my last car a 2018 volvo put all on on remote start, why can't LR 110 XS 250 MY 23 Gondwana Stone, Cold climate pack and towbar
Post #1021961 20th Jan 2024 11:32pm
milesg7

United Kingdom 
It is one of the best features of the P400e, I can pre-heat the cabin with the electric battery, and if it is still plugged into the wall it doesn't drain the battery. You can set the temp in the app so sure it will be useful in summer too.
Post #1022039 21st Jan 2024 3:45pm
ashtrans
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
whiterdesign wrote:
my screens work on remote start but not seats or steering wheel, my last car a 2018 volvo put all on on remote start, why can't LR

totally agree, it cant be that hard for LR to do, Dave
Post #1022155 22nd Jan 2024 1:05pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Retroanaconda wrote:
Yes, that’s the whole point of remote start - so you don’t have to leave the keys in it and the car stays secure.

I never use it as I don’t believe cold idling is good for a diesel engine, but many folk do it seems. A remote controlled fuel burning heater is a much better solution.

My Discovery 4 (RIP - TDV6) had a build in diesel burning heater which was there to heat up the engine quicker for emissions reasons. I don't think I have ever seen it in action. You could apparently hack into it to remote activate it. It heated the cooling water which is neat.

Truck idle their diesel engines traditionally, but I think that's just because they need to compressed air to be at pressure to release the brakes. I agree idling any engine cold is not a good thing, best to get it warmed up quickly without unnecessary strain.
Post #1022158 22nd Jan 2024 1:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1