↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > V8 > Location transmission ECU 50th Anniversay / NAS V8i
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
chocotov1

Germany 1999 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Atlantis Blue
Location transmission ECU 50th Anniversay / NAS V8i
My Nanocom is showing the code "1777: GEARBOX IGNITION RETARD REQUEST LINE". I'd like to check and test the wires from the gearbox ECU to the GEMS unit (should be pin 31 of the red connector) and now i'm hoping someone can tell me where gearbox ECU is located Smile

The whole story:

Since a few month i'm having some intermittent problems with my 50th Anniversary Defender. It all started when I got the car back from the (2nd) garage that attempted to replace a leaky pipe from the transmission to the cooler at the front. Since the original part was nowhere to come by, in the end the pipe was refurbished.

Since the repair I've been driving the car more frequently (before it hadn't run for 3 months) and have had some really bad experiences with engine holding back or even temporarily cutting out. It never stalled though. Problems have been worst in rainy conditions.

I recently got a Nanocom and had it hooked up while driving. In one occasion of holding back at low speeds i noticed the the indicated vehicle speed according to the ECU had spiked and was incorrect. Later I read somewhere that the GEMS ECU cuts out when driving too fast.

Since I was already familiar with the speedo (because of the LCD display I had replaced recently) as a test I disconnect the speed signal from the speedo to the ECU. Sadly, the holding back problem was still occasionally there. Much more prominent when rainy. Under dry conditions though, the car drove without problems, even with the ECU not having a speed signal.

More info:
- Changed the spark plugs and wires last weekend, didn't fix the problem.
- I'm familiar with electronic basics, micro controller / Arduino stuff , connection, ground problems etc. but have little experience with cars electronics.
- I'm familiar with some GEMS specific documentation like GEMSbyPool.pdf, the Nanocom GEMS info and some official LR manuals that can found online.
Post #1021726 19th Jan 2024 12:12am
Romadog

There is no specific eco for the transmission.
There is a relay behind engine ecu in engine bay.
Speed is detected by a transducer on rear output to transfer box behind handbrake assembly.
You can search online for the Electrical Library for the 50th Defender which explains the systems and their locations very well.
Have you searched https://www.defender50th.co.uk
Post #1021757 19th Jan 2024 11:49am
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
That fault code is one for the P38 RR which retards the ignition when changing gear - the ECU port is redundant on the NAS/50th Gems ECU.

Could water be getting into your ECU plugs in the engine bay? I wonder if the the garage unplugged the ECU when fixing the oil cooler lines perhaps? JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #1021790 19th Jan 2024 6:09pm
100inch

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
Glad to hear about another German spec 50th on the road. Despite 180 build I have not seen many survivors, particular in good conditions. Own D164 myself since new. M
Post #1021825 19th Jan 2024 9:14pm
chocotov1

Thanks for the replies! Really nice to know I won't have to be looking for something that isn't there in the first place. Had the idea of the TCM from this document "Land Rover 4-speed Electronic Automatic Trasmission System.pdf" I found online. It's Range Rover specific indeed.

So I'll take a look at the car ECU tomorrow. Already noticed with the white cover still over it that the casing looked pretty corroded. Moisture problem seems probable.

I'll probably open up the ECU, check connections etc. Double check if pin 31 of the red connector is connected to something Smile

Haven't seen another live 50th yet. Reg D142 over here. 1st registered in Germany, then was registered in Belgium and I imported it back to Germany from a dutch seller. Not sure if i'm the 3rd or 4th owner.
Post #1021844 19th Jan 2024 11:50pm
100inch

Mine, when I picked it up after full refurbishment by Simon. Few upgrades include a John E build 5.2 and ZF HP24. Need to bring down under soon.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1021848 20th Jan 2024 1:40am
ashtrans
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
Hi,

these ZF boxes have no speed sensor, only the later electronic ZF's have then as fitted in the D2's and P38's, they thus have no ECU either, Dave
Post #1021883 20th Jan 2024 1:22pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Just out of general interest, how does it work then? I worked on RRC V8 with the Chrystler 3speed powerglide and it just had everything mechanical/ hydraulic with the power demand coming from a cable connected to the throttle.

Adjustment was interesting set it too slack and it would shift up quickly up, bogging you down, too tight and it would hold on to all the gears too long.
Post #1021922 20th Jan 2024 6:03pm
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
Exactly the same primitive set up uses the kick down cable to set and adjust gearbox line pressure in relation to throttle movement!
Post #1022058 21st Jan 2024 5:56pm
chocotov1

100inch wrote:
Mine, when I picked it up after full refurbishment by Simon. Few upgrades include a John E build 5.2 and ZF HP24. Need to bring down under soon.

Click image to enlarge

Nice one! Lots of questions.. I noticed the Swiss plates and you owned it from new? And Simon Durant refurbished it? Only know him from the videos on Youtube (and searching this forum after your post). Was the original engine broken?

At first I thought you'd maybe located in the German Brunswick and we could maybe hook up, but that's probably not the case.
Post #1022378 24th Jan 2024 1:42pm
chocotov1

Was busy over the weekend. Took out and opened the ECU. Was a bit rusty on the outside, had some moisture on the inside at one time as well, but otherwise looked pristine and was probably never opened since new (ESR3804, Datecode 2096, Tune ID 9613 (Nanocom)). The 3 connectors were all flawless.

Pin 31 of the red connector didn't have a wire connected, as was to be expected. Did a hack job though and soldered a stronger pullup resistor next to the 1.2 K one. The idea being the pin would have been floating somehow that could have caused the error / holding back.

Thankfully the car started up after the mod. Sadly the fault 1777 came back when I was still on the driveway. Didn't notice the engine holding back afterwards.

I fear 1777 might turn out to be a random error, unrelated to the holding back of the engine. Last 300 km was without incidents, but was under dry conditions all the time.

In Nanocom there are also some errors with the post cat O2 sensors. I'll investigate and maybe make a new topic for that:
1191 oxygen sensor heater circuit open circuit (downstream sensors)
1194 oxygen sensor heater circuit high resistance (downstream sensors)
Post #1022379 24th Jan 2024 2:03pm
100inch

Nice one! Lots of questions.. I noticed the Swiss plates and you owned it from new? And Simon Durant refurbished it? Only know him from the videos on Youtube (and searching this forum after your post). Was the original engine broken?
At first I thought you'd maybe located in the German Brunswick and we could maybe hook up, but that's probably not the case.[/quote]

Thank you. Yes, own the car from new (well less than 80km on the clock) and it is still in Switzerland, hopefully getting shipped to OZ within the next 12 months. Simon Durant did the entire refurb and I can highly recommend his work. Original engine was ok, but cam (aka loss of power) was getting worn and I had a new 5.2 sitting around, so thought why not. m

Click image to enlarge
Post #1022428 24th Jan 2024 10:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1