↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > V8 > Straight pipe exhaust?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
mediamab

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 2.5 TD SW Epsom Green
Hope this isn’t a dumb question haha but these are the exhaust manifolds. I have a receipt that says the whole system was replaced with stainless system at a cost of 1k about 5 years ago. Does stainless steel tarnish like this? If it does I assume I can polish them clean again?

Click image to enlarge
Post #1021341 15th Jan 2024 10:13pm
trickster5000

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arles Blue
I’ve got a bit of a mongrel of exhaust bits on my 90 V8 due to the conversion, when I first fitted it I had a largely 300tdi based setup with the big centre box and small tailpipe box, I then changed the centre box for a smaller silencer I found in some scrap metal and welded the right flanges on and I’d say it’s a good balance all-round.

It’s got a decent bark when you put your foot down and a nice burble on idle but it doesn’t drone at medium load/cruising speed.

Click image to enlarge
 Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html
Post #1021343 15th Jan 2024 10:40pm
mediamab

Ah ok so yeah maybe just a smaller silencer could be the sweet spot then. Think I’m gonna stay away from a full straight pipe. Found some videos on YT, they sound great but I can’t imagine an hour drive in one!
Post #1021345 15th Jan 2024 10:51pm
mediamab

Only part of the silencer ha but obviously quite a bit larger to the one you adopted!

Click image to enlarge
Post #1021346 15th Jan 2024 10:52pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
mediamab wrote:
Hope this isn’t a dumb question haha but these are the exhaust manifolds. I have a receipt that says the whole system was replaced with stainless system at a cost of 1k about 5 years ago. Does stainless steel tarnish like this? If it does I assume I can polish them clean again?

Click image to enlarge

Those look like mild steel. Usually ‘full’ exhaust means from the down pipe back. Not including the manifolds.
Post #1021368 16th Jan 2024 9:37am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
mediamab wrote:
Only part of the silencer ha but obviously quite a bit larger to the one you adopted!

Click image to enlarge

That looks like stainless. Note the smooth surface, even though some is heat discoloured.

You have some choices to replace. You either need to find or make up a section with the flanges, so you can bolt it back in. This will probably require welding. The other option would be to cut the flange of the pipe either side and then use a flared section to rejoin. Both would work. The flange is probably the better approach, but will need you or someone to be able to weld.

In terms of silencers. A smaller “bullet” one will work or indeed something like a cherry bomb. A cherry bomb is just a compact glass pack silencer, usually painted red.

Other smaller silencers can be glass pack too. Or you get chambered silencers. They will sound different. A glass pack is normally more crackly sounding while a chambered one tends to have a deeper more pronounced tone.

Jetex sell silencers or have a loom on eBay eg
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335178630189?mk...media=COPY

Remember to check your pipe diameter. The silencer can have bigger and use some step downs. But don’t go smaller as it will reduce gas flow.
Post #1021369 16th Jan 2024 9:45am
donmacn

TexasRover wrote:
Don't do it.

I just bought a P38 4.0 and the PO fitted an expensive "performance" exhaust, which I already factored in changing back to stock. It's loud and well exhausting and embarrassing. The drone is always there and you find yourself holding back driving through the IKEA parking lot.

Just changed it back to stock this weekend and it's much better.

Hah! Snap.

I've lived with this for a while but my intention is definitely to change back to a centre silencer when I can find the time and inclination.

I'm probably 60/40 on it. 30 - 40% of the time it can bring a smile to my face; most of the time I wish it was just a little quieter - but I do like the rumble of a V8.

I've found myself (probably idly) wondering how hard or expensive it would be to get a switchable exhaust - calm and controlled for when that was needed;howling and wild when not...... but that probably won't happen! Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #1021377 16th Jan 2024 10:56am
mediamab

Thanks so much everyone! This is all so useful.

The eBay link for the muffler looks a good option. Unfortunately welding isn’t a skill I’ve tried but I assume if I take measurements of the pipes, the distance between the pipes with silencer removed etc then someone should be able to provide / fabricate the pieces quite easily?

With the headers, is there any value in going stainless? I need to remove them and replace bolts and gaskets in the hope they’re the cause of the tapping noise I get when engines hot.
Post #1021429 16th Jan 2024 7:34pm
mediamab

I assume a kit such a tho below requires more than just to straight pipes to couple together? Ie welding still required?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385466852053?mk...media=COPY
Post #1021430 16th Jan 2024 7:38pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
mediamab wrote:
Thanks so much everyone! This is all so useful.

The eBay link for the muffler looks a good option. Unfortunately welding isn’t a skill I’ve tried but I assume if I take measurements of the pipes, the distance between the pipes with silencer removed etc then someone should be able to provide / fabricate the pieces quite easily?

With the headers, is there any value in going stainless? I need to remove them and replace bolts and gaskets in the hope they’re the cause of the tapping noise I get when engines hot.

An exhaust shop should be able to fab up something with the correct ends. Either drive the vehicle down, or just take the silencer to them with the new one and ask them to build the ends to match the other. Obviously matching by eye might be hard, so fitment may require a little work, unless you get them to do it. I'd have thought most custom exhaust places would be favourable to a cash in hand deal for a small job like this.

Years back I removed the rear silencers on my Jag XJ-S V12 and had a local company bend some straight pipe to match. One of the best mods I ever did to the car.
Post #1021431 16th Jan 2024 7:47pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
mediamab wrote:
I assume a kit such a tho below requires more than just to straight pipes to couple together? Ie welding still required?

Ive not used a clamp like this before. But it should work, assuming you the correct diameter, it would be instead of the flange.
Post #1021432 16th Jan 2024 7:48pm
mediamab

Yeah I’ll explore local places (haven’t lived here that long ha) but sounds like finding the right replacement and then getting someone to do the simple fab to match will work well and suit my wallet too!
Post #1021433 16th Jan 2024 7:50pm
mediamab

Chicken Drumstick wrote:
mediamab wrote:

Ive not used a clamp like this before. But it should work, assuming you the correct diameter, it would be instead of the flange.

So really if I had two straight pipes then it should be a straight swap? (I don’t currently but I could cut them down)
Post #1021434 16th Jan 2024 7:52pm
mediamab

Ah actually looks like that’ll still need welding. Seems to be a bunch of none welding solutions but feel like I’d rather it all be done right!

I did come across the below - which appears to be the only full kit. But whilst would be an upgrade to stainless wary of it’ll help bring out the rumble ha

https://www.paddockspares.com/da4236-exhau...ts-wi.html
Post #1021436 16th Jan 2024 8:07pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
mediamab wrote:

If you do take the headers off, I would be interested in buying them.

Although if I'm honest, stainless is more about looks than anything. Obviously should last longer too.
Post #1021438 16th Jan 2024 8:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>