↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Business leasing a Defender Hard top?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Welshsurferdude

Wales 
Business leasing a Defender Hard top?
I keep selling my own puma 110s Rolling with laughter so ive figured I may as well lease a brand new one as I cant keep borrowing my wife's Discovery to tow defenders ive bought from all over the country, A job that it is indeed really good at! Whistle

A friend of mine has recently just placed an order for a 3 seat 90 D250 hard top and his lease has come in at 211+vat which I think it's ridiculously cheap!

110 is coming in at a little more

both is 10k miles which is enough for me.

My question is if I get a 110 version, is there a HMRC approved folding middle seat conversion available for it like it used to be on the D4's and D5's? as I occasionally cart my 3 kids to school etc.

And also can you fit a MTB in the back easily with the front wheel off?
Bow down 2008 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)

2015 Discovery 4.5 Black pack Firenze red XS

2008 Corris Grey 110 XS USW (sold)

2011 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)
Post #1020476 8th Jan 2024 12:02am
camelman

United Kingdom 
There are a number of what appear to be really cheap deals around.
You need to factor in what deposit that comes with however and the mileage limits.
Most of those really cheap deals are only 5k miles per year and require a 9months deposit. When you do the maths they tend to come out more like 4-500+vat a month. Add in realistic miles and it goes up even more.

Interestingly, the cheap deals appear only available on a 2 year lease, therefore increasing the impact of a 9 month deposit on the actual monthly cost across the whole term. I also expect, the resale value is significantly higher after 2 years rather than 3 due to the warranty still being in place.

I don't believe there is an 'occasional seat conversion' for the 110 that means you can legally avoid company car tax. 
Post #1020498 8th Jan 2024 10:58am
lightning

United Kingdom 
Fitting the rear seat conversion is a chance you'd have to take. Will your vehicle ever actually get inspected?
lf so you may have to pay back all the tax and BIK. But if you leave the rear windows blacked out and the rear seat conversion folds completely flat (some do) you might get away with it.

The other thing to consider is insurance, you'll need to tell them about the modifications or you may not get paid out in the event of a claim. Probably worth giving them a call before you fit the rear seats

Many vans can have "occasional rear seats" fitted and still be classified as a van. The vehicle has to be "primarily designed to carry goods" and you could argue that a Defender 110 with the basic bench rear seat conversion and a bulkhead in place (mesh bulkhead) and no rear windows is still primarily a goods vehicle
Post #1020518 8th Jan 2024 1:49pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
There's also the shenanigans with the payload if the 'van' has rear seats fitted. Looking at the mass of double cab pick ups available, to avoid company car tax (as opposed to van benefit) they have to have a payload of at least 1000kg.

The 110 Commercial payload is well below this (Max 888Kg with air suspension)

The old 110 Utility Wagons had 5 seats but counted as commercial for VAT and BIK because of the payload being over 1000kg. 
Post #1020528 8th Jan 2024 2:52pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
l was told that technically the new Defender Commercial doesn't qualify anyway but Land Rover managed to get an exemption.

The Grenadier "Commercial" qualifies with DVLA but not HMRC which is a stinker. lf it qualified l would probably have bought one.
Post #1020558 8th Jan 2024 5:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1