↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Pop Top Roof
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Looking Very good!!

The Tweeking’ never stops !! you will be reviewing the location of all the kit constantly and move things around frequently till you reach a system that suits your style of traveling.

We had a water tank in the cupboard by the passenger door for a couple of years and it worked very well - no cutting or drilling into the units required, so its very easy and possible to set up to be flexible in this way.

Enjoy using your camper ! Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #1003312 7th Aug 2023 10:08pm
Andrew95

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Corris Grey
So we're on our first trip out with the new camper build this week. It's been a bit of a hectic start as we're at the ATUK greenlaning week near Thetford. So we're operating at somone elses schedule which has meant we haven't had a much time to play around as I would like.

But so far I think it's going well. I love having a space where I can get changed, hide out of the wind and generally just live without being outside. I'm using it more as a sitting space than I thought I would.

We have only had one disaster so far. The roof conversion uses the original roof which we asked him to leave the sunroof in (edit: it's never leaked!), but we had some heavy rain the other night and it poured in between the glass and seal (mostly from what looked like a drain hole in the seal). I assume it's something to do with the new angle of the roof.

Yesterday I went to screwfix and plastered the thing in silicone and duct tape so we will see! Once I'm back home in my own time I'll have a propper look and sort a permanent solution but for now hopfully it holds - I've seen non opening single glass panel replacements which look good but surprisingly pricy

I want to move everything around interior wise but I'll save that for when we don't have an audience!

Things I want / will change / need to be done:
- tap on the back door needs to be moved further along to avoid soaking the interior
- some sort of storage or netting up in the roof when we sleep would be nice
- finish off the interior cushions
- make some clear panels to velcro on instead of the bug net so we can have the windows open without the weather getting in
- sun roof drama!
- bug net on the rear door

The ATUK trip is going well. Some really nice lanes out in Thetford (and some not so nice!) I would certainly come back here in my own time.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1004176 15th Aug 2023 8:55am
sdev

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Keswick Green
How are you finding the Terrafirma awning? Looking for a freestanding 270 awning here, and it's about the best priced on the market. Would you recommend?
Post #1004442 16th Aug 2023 11:33pm
Andrew95

Its a good awning, we went through all sorts of options before settling on the TF awning - I think I said about it earlier in this thread. We are more than happy with it.

If you are after something that is free standing in windy conditions it probably wouldn't be my first choice, its got a well designed bracket so certainly can be used free standing but if it was in an exposed or windy location I certainly would put the legs down. For us if its being used quickly - like for lunch, then its great to be freestanding, if its for a longer period of time for the extra few seconds involved putting the legs down we just do that.

The material is nice, quite thick so looks durable but not so thick that its difficult to roll up. Velcro around the inside which there awning room attaches to (we dont have that). The poles are all sturdy - pretty much the same ones as you get with any awning.

A nice thing as well is that it came with all of the bolts, pegs, extra guy lines, lots of different attachment brackets and even two spanners to attach it!

My only gripe is that the straps holding it together when rolled up can slip loose when off-road, for us on the camper its quite close to the door so after a days off-roading then the door tops can catch on it. I don't think it would be an issue if on a roof rack. I keep meaning to sort a couple of extra straps to hold it up. [/quote]
Post #1005200 23rd Aug 2023 2:10pm
Dunc99

United Kingdom 
Very interested in how you attached the awning to the roof. I've just got the same setup and trying to figure out how to prevent the awning conflicting with the roof gutter or the door tops. Thanks. 200Tdi 90 Hard Top
2.4 Tdci 110 Station Wagon
Post #1006544 5th Sep 2023 1:20pm
Andrew95

So an odd one.

I have been getting a bit of water build up by the front hinge of the roof. Its only just started since about October. I initially thought it was coming through the hinge but the way its designed it can't, the only place it could get through is the bolt holes for the front hinge. But there is more water than I would expect to get through the bolt holes.

I am wondering if its condensation on the aluminium roof? The driveway slopes quite a lot so then the water is running down the inside of the roof and dripping off at the bottom end, the roof seal then stops it escaping?

Has anyone else had anything similar?

I am wondering about putting a couple of 3-5mm gaps in the roof seal for water to escape from?
Post #1016831 30th Nov 2023 2:00pm
LR Nuts

could try changing hinge for a Hurricane type

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274239596240

or CentaFlex hinge
Post #1016836 30th Nov 2023 2:24pm
Andrew95

The water is not coming through the hinge, that I am certain of. It might be the bolts on the hinge, but again its more than you would expect from that. I do think its condensation .
Post #1016837 30th Nov 2023 2:29pm
Andrew95

Happy New Year Everyone! Its a surprisingly slow work day, so I thought I would give you all an update.

So the last month or two both myself and the land rover have been on borrowed time. After a few really rough weekends out - the sort where everything just gets soaking wet, silly little breaks down / problems, everything being muddy and generally a bit miserable. Having personally been suck in a bit of a rut, I had an existential crisis and thought the best thing to do would be selling the land rover. The idea being to sell it for something like a 4x4 van.

Long story short, its staying. Whether that is the right thing to do or not, who knows. A mixture of sales people not bothering to get back to me, realising how far we have come with this build, and pure sentimentality we realised its probably best to stick at what we know. We would never get close to what we have put into it, and having worked out the costs it wouldn't take us much to get the land rover back into a good state where as to start again with a new build would cost thousands and lots of time (which takes away from other adventures & travels we want to have).

So I have made a few lists, started ordering some parts, actually made time to do the work (rather than faffing around after work in the dark!) - onwards we go.

For full transparency, when we bought the land rover about 5/6 years ago it was a completely factory standard 110 SW in desperate need of some love. The furlough months of covid gave us this opportunity and I don't think I stopped working on it for the several months I was off work. Having said that, since then we have used it very hard over the last few years and with no real maintenance so some issues are starting to come through and with a total lack of motivation I have sort of been ignoring them.

-----

So now we are upto date, the first few months of this year we are going to set aside doing some well overdue maintenance. With the intention of hopefully going on a group trip to Romania later this year and a trip to Norway planned for 2025.

The list of things that need fixing includes:
- Bonnet cable needs replacing
- Heater temperature cable needs replacing
- Windscreen wipers don't have a full sweep on the passenger side
- We seem to have a issue with a turbo whistle / air escaping. I've replaced intercooler pipes but I think it might be a cracked intercooler so using it as an opportunity to upgrade to a full width intercooler.
- Front brake discs
- Brake pads all around
- Steering damper bushes
- Horn intermittently works
- Still having issues with water ingress and a couple of other issues with the roof (its being sent back to AW4x44 who said he would sort it)
- I think the leisure battery is toast, it will charge up fine but not hold the charge.
- Chassis rust treatment being done by Trek Overland.
- Radio needs replacing as it intermittently works

While we are at it we also have a few modifications planned:
- Gas strut for the rear door
- LED Headlights & sidelights
- Carpet over the interior trim*
- AW4x4 are going to make us some slightly higher awning brackets as unless packed away perfectly it catches on the top of the door slightly.

*one of our main problems with the land rover, being in Costa Del England is damp & condensation. I want to try and cover as many of the surfaces which get damp / condensate as possible and we find the interior trim is a big one.

We are also going back to YdY who made our interior to have a back door drop down table made, similar to this one by oneten_overland on instergam. In the future we might look at redesigning the second row unit to have some sort of pull out kitchen area - or at least something more useful.

We have a few other things we would like to do, but for now thats our starting point.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1019825 2nd Jan 2024 12:07pm
Galyman

Scotland 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Aintree Green
Glad you have decided to stick with it. I need all the suggestions I can get for my build. Very Happy
Post #1020029 3rd Jan 2024 9:49pm
Galyman

Scotland 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Aintree Green
Glad you have decided to stick with it. I need all the suggestions I can get for my build. Very Happy
Post #1020030 3rd Jan 2024 9:49pm
L110CDL

England 
+1 for you deciding to keep the 110 and carrying on with your plans for it Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1020247 5th Jan 2024 9:20pm
Andrew95

Thanks for the support guys, I think its the right thing to do. Its just hard to keep going sometimes!

Got a few job ticked off already including LED headlights, LED sidelights / indicators - although I need to get hold of one of the RDX earth fix bulbs when they are back in stock. I have not tried them out on the road yet, but flashing my neighbour across the road I could see exactly what he was having for tea so that's a start! Its certainly looking promising and given me a bit of motivation to start cracking on with a few things. I got the LED reverse done last night and will do the fog light tonight, they are bit more of a faff but not too bad.

I have a big box of shiny new parts in the shed now ready to fit. Most are straight forward but I think the hardest will be the intercooler and maybe the rear door strut as drilling holes and them being where I wanted them is something I have never managed to do!
Post #1020613 9th Jan 2024 9:57am
L110CDL

England 
I think that we all get a bit " wayward " on things but get our mojo back and crack on with a new purpose in life, which is great Thumbs Up

Was your neighbours tea anything interesting Wink Laughing

Yes the rear fog and reversing lights were a bit of a faff but well worth it as the reversing light is so much better Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1020848 11th Jan 2024 10:02pm
Irishdog

Germany 
Alu–cab pop top and Awning
Evening all! Just thought I would add my two penneth. We prepared our Landy (2008 td4)in 2018/19 prior to shipping it out to Namibia. He has stayed there ever since, and we visit him as often as possible.
This year, due to advancing years, we decided to swap the RTT for an Alu-cab pop top and Awning. It was the best decision ever, and the Team in Swakopmund at Namib Campers did a wonderful job.
We have just got back to Germany after seven weeks going around Namibia, Zambia and Botswana.
It may cost a bit more, but the quality will pay you back double. Hats off to Alucab for their products. No, I haven’t been paid to write this Smile

Click image to enlarge
Post #1028046 14th Mar 2024 6:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>