↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > P0101 Fault HEADACHE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I think Andy is on the right line of thinking re airflow. Are you using a gen LR air filter as they tend to perform better than aftermarket ones and if you are close to the max airflow you need due to the map it could trigger the MAF fault as a new aftermarket air filter gets clogged through use.

Again, building on andys thoughts, have you upgraded the air intake pipe from the airbox to wing. The standard one is highly restrictive and having a raised air intake induces more restriction.

Other than cost there are no downsides to upgrading the airbox to wing intake, it noticeably improves performance and seals the intake from water ingress. The standard one has very poor water ingress sealing. So it’s worth doing anyway to see if it resolves the issue.

Also check the wiring from a MAF , it can suffer from chafing / loose connection and cause faults / intermittent faults.
Post #1019380 27th Dec 2023 4:31pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Clean the MAP sensor also, surprising how gunked up they can get. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1019381 27th Dec 2023 5:44pm
Ashbyandy

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
With respect to the MAF wiring, the indi I worked for, for a couple of years, had a very similar problem with a customers Puma. I eventually traced it down to the wires at the MAF sensor plug, which if you look at any Puma model, always seem to be bent over at right angles to the plug, and often show signs of the insulation splitting.
Although no one believed me at the time, I fitted a new short repair loom which included the plug, and added extra very small heat shrink to each cable, before I soldered the new wires to the existing 4 cables of the loom. I also folded them down as carefully as I could at the plug, and then tied the loom to the air intake tubing right next to the air filter box. Needless to say, the fault never reoccurred.
On further investigation you could just see a mark on the underside of the bonnet where the loom had been rubbing, and obviously must occasionally have been causing a fault to earth.

Anyway, worth a look, to see if you might be experiencing the same problem.

Hope you get to the bottom of it, what ever the cause

Ashby Andy
Post #1019385 27th Dec 2023 6:04pm
nufc1ac

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Zermatt Silver
Ianh wrote:
I think Andy is on the right line of thinking re airflow. Are you using a gen LR air filter as they tend to perform better than aftermarket ones and if you are close to the max airflow you need due to the map it could trigger the MAF fault as a new aftermarket air filter gets clogged through use.

Again, building on andys thoughts, have you upgraded the air intake pipe from the airbox to wing. The standard one is highly restrictive and having a raised air intake induces more restriction.

Other than cost there are no downsides to upgrading the airbox to wing intake, it noticeably improves performance and seals the intake from water ingress. The standard one has very poor water ingress sealing. So it’s worth doing anyway to see if it resolves the issue.

Also check the wiring from a MAF , it can suffer from chafing / loose connection and cause faults / intermittent faults.

You don’t Happen to know the part code for this pipe do you? From air box to wing.
Post #1019856 2nd Jan 2024 4:40pm
andy63

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Aintree Green
Have a look or Google 90mm silicone hose..
Looks like the stuff alisport are using..
https://www.autosiliconehoses.com/silicone...wOEALw_wcB
Post #1019867 2nd Jan 2024 5:25pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
In addition to the hose you need a new wing intake box as the original one is designed for a rectangular pipe and you will now have a round hose. So many buy a kit such as the one made by nugget stuff https://www.4x4overlander.com/product/nugg...ly-sealed/. Note nugget stuff have closed down as the owner retired, but it looks like 4x4 overlander till have stock.

Not cheap at £230 but many have fitted with good results.

Alternatively you can go further and fit the allisport air intake and airbox upgrade but thats circa £560

https://www.lrparts.net/as293-cylinder-air...sport.html

PS .best to contact allisport directly if going down that route to confirm the right kit for you and availability.

PPS. I’m still not sure how the alisport solution will deal with water ingress to the airbox as it does not have a drain. See my post half way down https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic89374-15.html
Post #1019874 2nd Jan 2024 6:08pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
nufc1ac

On another topic I note you have not replaced the small 90 degree elbow hose from the metal pipe to the inlet manifold and you are looking to replace that. Here is a good guide https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic81674.html?highlight=elbow

It would make sense that there is air ingress into the system after the MAF sensor that’s triggering the DTC. Given this happens when their is an air filter present, but not when it is removed also makes me think it’s a slight split in a hose or a poor hose clamp after the airbox or minor split in the intercooler. Noting when the air filter is present it creates a greater vacuum between the airbox and the inlet manifold and that could cause it to suck air in via a slight split in a hose, a poor hose clamp, or minor split in the intercooler.

As you have a new intercooler and silicon hoses , just having the rubber 90 degree elbow left it would make sense to now replace that, plus double check your hose clamps.
Post #1024225 10th Feb 2024 5:30pm
nufc1ac

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Zermatt Silver
Great, thanks for this, looks a really useful thread for the job 👍🏼. Fingers crossed that’s it.
Post #1024258 10th Feb 2024 10:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12