↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Removing Sound Deadening
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
NorthernDefender90

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Removing Sound Deadening
Wondering if anyone has a good way to remove sound deadening (SilentCoat). I'm wanting to replace it with thicker stuff. Since the glue was so sticky when i put it down dread to think how hard it would be to get off.

If anyone has any tips, will be very helpful.
Post #1019137 23rd Dec 2023 9:47pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Only thing i can think of is using a heat gun to soften the backing but don't expect anything other than a messing very long winded job.

The black backing retains a lot of heat and will stick to your fingers if you are not careful.

Silent coat does a good job of stopping the vibration and resonance, some people here then top cover it with a foam layer

www.silentcoat.co.uk/collections/sound-abs...er-7-sheet

Would that be a better option for you, it would certainly save a lot of pain and swearing.
Post #1019140 23rd Dec 2023 10:43pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Lay more on top? Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #1019141 23rd Dec 2023 11:15pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
I was thinking the same.

Maybe the additional thickness may be an issue.
Post #1019162 24th Dec 2023 10:49am
custom90

United Kingdom 
WD40 may help, but test first just an idea and pulling it back on its self is probably best rather than at right angles due to putting more adhesion stress on the paint surface. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 26th Dec 2023 10:11pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1019248 25th Dec 2023 2:37pm
Lightwater

Australia 
Stick foam on top. Butyl is for reducing panels resonating. Foam will help deaden the environment. I have used multiple layers of foam including 25mm engine bay foam.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic33026.html

I originally did research on the Defender acoustic solutions & my thoughts were to go as thick as possible with the foam. Visitor - Freelander owner
Post #1019269 26th Dec 2023 5:56am
Lightwater

Australia 
A link to thick insulation:

https://megasorber.com/wp-content/uploads/...ber-FG.pdf

Click image to enlarge

Case study 4wd bus:
https://www.acoustics.asn.au/conference_pr...s/p116.pdf Visitor - Freelander owner
Post #1019341 27th Dec 2023 2:53am
The Zee

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
Re: Removing Sound Deadening
NorthernDefender90 wrote:
Wondering if anyone has a good way to remove sound deadening (SilentCoat). I'm wanting to replace it with thicker stuff. Since the glue was so sticky when i put it down dread to think how hard it would be to get off.

If anyone has any tips, will be very helpful.

There are 2 options with removing sound deadening :

Solvent (WD40, white spirit, petroleum naptha, paraffin, or even kerosene (JET A1/AVTUR)) will desolve the adhesive, this option is both time consuming, messy and exposure to harmul solvents and vapours, I've done it this way - double layers of nitrile golves and lots of rags, and 2 boxes of paracetamol for the headaches Big Cry

Use water ice in a bag, dry ice (cardice/ CO2 ice) or something colder (liquid nitrogen) If you cool the sound deadening to very cold, (sub zero) it becomes very brittle and so it can be removed with a rubber mallet! It's very quick, and clean since there is very little residue. But a little difficult: if you can find somebody that does dry ice blasting or can get some dry ice (minus 80 C). I've seen it done for a car restoration with dry ice pellets, once all the ice has evaporated just vacuum all the shards up. Zaid-M
www.DefencePhotos.com
2014 Defender 110 Utility, 2.2 Puma, Indus Silver
Not just transport more like a religion
Post #1019394 27th Dec 2023 8:41pm
Lightwater

Australia 
You really can't put too much acoustic foam in the car. The thicker it is the better at cutting back the lower frequencies.

I was never going to do the ceiling in the Freelander, but thought while at it I'll do it

Started off with 10mm foam over the entire roof & some more 10mm on the ceiling lining over the driver & front passenger. I was surprised of the improvement of acoustics in the car.

Then pulled down the ceiling again, probably about the fifth time by now, & lined the entire ceiling with an additional 25mm engine bay foam, as much as I could squeeze in the ceiling gap. I was surprised how much the acoustic environment improved.

Basically every spot in the car I have filled with acoustic foam to the maximum capacity. Even bought 3mm & 6mm foam to line areas with tight tolerances.

Recently had to drive around with car windows open due to catching my first round of Covid, trying to avoid other half getting it. It was a real eye-opener of how quiet the car is with closed windows.

So I would suggest 25mm foam everywhere & where there are gaps to fill, fill those spaces totally. In the Freelander I have stuffed foam everywhere.

The spare wheel in the boot I have stuck foam around my third air compressor & air tank. Even pushed foam into the A, B, C & D columns.

Basically have been trying to prove a point at how quiet one can improve a car. Visitor - Freelander owner
Post #1019405 28th Dec 2023 6:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1