↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > 300tdi 110 csw fuel tank options
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
300TDi CSW Phil

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
300tdi 110 csw fuel tank options
Quick post in case I'm missing something.

I want to put a larger capacity fuel tank on the old girl for some upcoming trips and doing some googling safari equipe seem to be the only supplier of such things.

Are they the only ones?

Are there any fitting issues?

I guess the Are they worth the money question is moot as if they are the only one then there's not much option.

TIA for any input on this one 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
Wide Track Sankey- In bits- Gone to a new home
M0XQS
Post #1017995 10th Dec 2023 6:47pm
8619simon

Wales 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
I’ve had the Safari Eqip one in for 5 years now. Went SS with extra thickness on the base, not cheap but has been faultless.
Post #1017998 10th Dec 2023 7:22pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
I think allisport did them, I don’t know if they still do. Or you could fit an under seat tank
Post #1018001 10th Dec 2023 7:56pm
300TDi CSW Phil

Thanks for the responses, alisport don't list them anymore soi think it probably has to be Safari Equipe.

The wing tank idea may follow for future trips/expeditions but the main tank is not looking the best so an upgrade in materials and size seems like the way to go.

Just need to make sure the SE one will fit with Dixon bate tow bar. 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
M0XQS
Post #1018017 11th Dec 2023 12:31am
8619simon

The Dixon bate will not fit with the SE long range tank I am afraid. I had to get the bracing from the chassis fabricated to suit the lower slung fuel tank. The SE receiver hitch works fine though with their long range tank.
Post #1018204 12th Dec 2023 9:53pm
Timo K

Finland 
Any chance of getting some detail pictures of how low the tank is? I'm slightly concerned whether it'll hinder the rear angles and ground clearance too much for offroad use. My current standard tank has a guard on it just give some peace of mind, but it has so far never taken a hit. All the long range tanks seem much deeper than the standard one though.
Post #1018325 14th Dec 2023 7:41am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Timo K wrote:
Any chance of getting some detail pictures of how low the tank is? I'm slightly concerned whether it'll hinder the rear angles and ground clearance too much for offroad use. My current standard tank has a guard on it just give some peace of mind, but it has so far never taken a hit. All the long range tanks seem much deeper than the standard one though.

They extend below chassis rails a fair bit and cam be prone to damage due to being below the rails. Under seat tank is prob cheapest option for 55l gain. Towing attachments are what stopped me going for a larger rear tank. In the end I ended up with an aux side wing through flow tank Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #1018331 14th Dec 2023 8:39am
300TDi CSW Phil

I spoke to SE the other day and apparently it doesn't have an effect on departure angle although it must be lower at some point than the original (just to get the extra capacity).

With regards to the Dixon bate towbar I will probably have to get new struts made if it is a problem with clearance as I use my towbar for a step and towing and the SE receiver hitch is not type approved (may or may not be an issue on a 1995 vehicle). 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
M0XQS
Post #1018332 14th Dec 2023 8:43am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Although I like the technical challenge of this discussion, in practical terms getting some high quality Jerry Cans has got to be more logical:

- cost obviously
- versatility: you can use them for many many years to come for many different cars etc
- Practicality: How often will you really need to decant your Jerry Can into your main tank. Normal tank range is ~500miles? It is not Paris-Dakar is it. you just stop.
- Reliability: current proven fuel system v custom made tank solution

I believe there are a few solutions where you can have secondary tanks fitted where you transfer the content over. This at least keeps the original fuel system in place.
Post #1018339 14th Dec 2023 10:10am
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Jerry can - where to place them? Roof is not the best. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #1018381 14th Dec 2023 2:00pm
8619simon

Timo K wrote:

Sorry, been away a few days. I’ll get some pics for you this week. I’ve never had an issue with clearance on the tank. I run the Dixon Bate most of the time as I do a lot of towing of horse trailers. When I go on overland trips etc it gets swapped for a 2” receiver hitch and recovery point. Only takes 30mins to swap it all over so best of both worlds if not the cheapest option 🙄

I went with the double skin option on the base of the tank in case it did hit anything but in all honesty after several trips now across some rough tracks in the Pyrenees it’s never been an issue.
Post #1018783 20th Dec 2023 12:23am
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
These are really popular over in the USA

https://rotopax.com/collections/containers...nd=RotopaX

some sort of modern jerry can that can be mounted easier?
Post #1018785 20th Dec 2023 1:49am
julian

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
The series military underseat tank fits on the 110csw. You have to buy some overpriced bracket for the rear of the tank and then a support for the front side, but all the holes are pre existing on a 300 chassis (the only one I've looked at)

Or...

If you're an engineer, the 300 90 underseat tank can be made to fit, but that's welding, custom spacers and custom brackets.

It's a more pleasing view from the side though. The series tank looks like a block bolted on the bottom whilst the 90 tank is less obtrusive.

If you look at the original parts numbers, there is an option for the csw (again 300era as that's what my knowledge is from) for the underseat tank (ie factory fitment). The part number isn't the same as the series tank but everything I've ever seen implies they are the same, and ive test fitted an old series military one on mine and it works.
Post #1018811 20th Dec 2023 12:31pm
julian

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Sorry, in follow up, you can fit that inline quarter tank also (fairly cheap) and there used to be (but I've not seen anyone selling it for years) a similar tank for the other rear quarter. It was done in the same style as the inline one but obviously not inline. Again I've not seen it for sale for some years though.

(For clarity I'm talking the space that the front runner water tank fits into)

Inline tanks require no extra valves etc but the underseat one will need some sort of switch over setup.
Post #1018813 20th Dec 2023 12:34pm
8619simon

Some photos of the SE long range tank,110 ltrs, with Dixon Bate adjustable tow ball fitted. I had the tow bar to chassis bracing custom fabricated to fit around the lower hanging tank.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1019026 22nd Dec 2023 7:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>