↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Mt82 spigot shaft condition
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Mt82 spigot shaft condition
My nephew has his Puma engined Defender at an indie for a clutch change and the usual components that is wise to replace while you are in there.
He sent me this photo, showing the new thrust bearing installed. Apart from being disgusted by the fact that the indie did not bother to dust off the clutch dust, I am shocked to get a reply that the gearbox is going back in as is. I am not liking the condition of the spigot shaft.

Thoughts?

Click image to enlarge

Lets see if it comes back leaking engine oil, as I advised him to ask to have the rear crankshaft seal replaced. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1017081 1st Dec 2023 10:18pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
I don't know but is there a roller bearing in the flywheel (instead of a sleeve type)?

Also I have had mixed results changing seals. Quality of seal and fittings the seal can all result in leaking. If it's not leaking you could consider just leaving it be.
Post #1017106 2nd Dec 2023 8:39am
Dinnu

Yes, the Puma, has a roller spigot bearing, LR004390, not the usual bronze bush.

The other problem is that I had ordered all the parts for him, seals I always go for Corteco), as the plan was that I do the work for him, but I have been so busy that he decided to give it to the local indie. So would be difficult to prove that if it leaks it is their dodgy work. But based on the picture I have seen, I cannot expect much from them. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #1017108 2nd Dec 2023 9:05am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Spigot bearing is a needle roller bearing on the 2.2 and 2.4. The rear crank seal is notorious for leaking if not fitted properly and notorious for not being fitted properly, there are two critical spots of sealant which must be put in exactly the right place.
Post #1017109 2nd Dec 2023 9:09am
andy63

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Aintree Green
I'm in boat that changed the crankshaft oil seal and obviously made an ass of it.. And I read the instructions and applied the sealant to the little recesses in the seal as per the instructions.. Mine still leaked so it's to do again..
I didnt have a spiggot bearing puller and that was a right pain.. I've since watched a few videos on it and if you don't have a proper puller, then knocking the back of the housing out and jamming a bolt head in behind the cage seems to be a effective approach.. Plenty of videos on the tube covering it👍
Post #1017114 2nd Dec 2023 9:40am
ashtrans
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
We often see this diameter chewed up from a failed spigot bearing,

I cant be sure from the photo but the diameter doesnt look very good,

Dave Dave
Post #1017391 4th Dec 2023 2:16pm
Dinnu

Thanks Dave. So if I understand right, this is not normal wear (its at about 135kmiles), but caused by a failed spigot bearing.

I also only was the photo, but to me also does not look good. The indie did not mention anything to my nephew...and seems like the gearbox is going back as is.

At least the other end of the gearbox is sorted Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #1017394 4th Dec 2023 2:47pm
andy63

Do you think it would be possible to cut a new surface on that shaft end with a cylindrical cutter.. Are they called broaches?.. Then Re sleeve the end and fit into a new spiggot bearing..
I wonder why they went to a caged roller bearing instead of the traditional bronze bushes.. .. Has anyone ever Re done it with the traditional bush type bearing surface?..
Post #1017398 4th Dec 2023 2:58pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Since the surface of the spigot forms the inner race of the needle-roller bearing I would expect that it has a hardened surface, in which case most forms of refacing or reclamation will be a challenge.

I find it hard to tell from the photo how much of what is visible is damage and how much crud, but pragmatically it may be that there is little you can do except clean, lubricate, and reassemble, the use the clutch sparingly. It would be painful to put a new gearbox in simply because of the state of the spigot.

I am not really sure why the current trend it so fit needle-roller bearings in place of the traditional sintered bronze or "Oilite" bush, given the long and successful history the latter have. I don't know how the whole-life costs of the two compare but imagine that it is down to cost. I have never known an Oilite bush chew up a spigot, but needle-rollers do tend to do this when the lubrication dessicates.
Post #1017403 4th Dec 2023 3:47pm
andy63

It was just a thought, if it was mine I'd be tempted to try it if a file indicated the shaft end was machinable..the broach would likley have to be made to suit which might be another limitation as to what it would cut..
Like you say it's hard to see exactly how the surface has been worn or is it just rusty looking marks..
Post #1017405 4th Dec 2023 3:56pm
Dinnu

I could not go to check on the gearbox. I think it is also not fair to go and check on an indie that specializes in Land Rovers. I only do my own and family cars, time permitting, and again I do not work under time pressure. So I cannot expect much if they need to keep a competitive price.

But as Blackwolf pointed out, it is hard to justify a gearbox full strip for some wear on the spigot shaft. I think time will tell if it was a smart decision or not.

Frankly speaking, I strongly doubt if there is any hardening on the spigot. Unfortunately I do not have any pictures showing the condition of the bearing. Would have been nice if the spigot can be sleeved in situe.

Last 2 clutches I replaced (in a span of less than a year) where on my Golf and wife’s Polo. Both don’t have a spigot. Maybe more common on fwd cars? Ohh, and the clutch on the Golf was the original of 17years and 250kkm…always driven on extremely short roads. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #1017414 4th Dec 2023 5:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1