↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Handy kit you keep in your truck, Especially now in winter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Especially for my Disco tdv6 I have a spare car. When it's engine seized I had it transported back home quickly on a recovery trucj and continue my Journey in my spare car (BMW)

My defender does not have a Ford engine, so I don't need a spare car for that.
Post #1017293 3rd Dec 2023 7:07pm
Puddings 3112

While I have had my fair share of series, defender, discovery (2,3 &4) and RR temper tantrums, I have generally found myself stuck on journeys over the years because of either people further up the road (and resulting traffic jam) or road blockages such as tree fall or flooding.

First thing for me is that all my cars are on a minimum of all season tyres from Mid -October to usually around Easter (sometimes a little later if we have a late cold snap) which usually cope with all but the very worst snowfall in the UK - generally the vehicle will beach before the grip runs out. On my standard road car, Mich Cross Climate 2, on the 90 it is on KM3s because of needing to get through muddy forest trails at this time of year.

I have tools appropriate for the car in each vehicle including knowing where my towing eye is for the commuting car plus high vis, strobes, first aid kits (inc foil blankets), mix of hats, gloves, fleeces, waterproofs and welly boots in each car plus sleeping backs/alpine duvet jackets ( try to avoid sharing between both because it will always be in the wrong car). In the 90 I also have a selection of tow ropes, strops, shovels, winch kit and other useful recovery tools if I need to help out although most are ironically used more in the British summer for getting people out of country fair muddy field carparks when the inevitable down pour has happened

The big thing for me is to always have an emergency grab bag in a vehicle containing water, mini gas stove with a full canister, metal cup/pot for boiling, 2 pot noodles, soup sachets, hot chocolate, cereal bars, spoon, 2 lighters, foil blanket and a pacamac. If I am stuck on any road or in worst case, have to abandon the car ( I have had a car fire in the past), I can grab it to have something to keep me going until i get to move again.

Good to see that with a little snow this weekend, the press coverage was filled with people moaning about how they had nothing, there were cold, they were not rescued quick enough, going hungry etc (see the news from this weekend as an example) - it was forecast days in advance and yet they did not have the sense to prepare with even water and snacks.
Post #1017336 3rd Dec 2023 11:39pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Yes I laughed at that, on the news on Saturday, some family had tried to drive from Kent up to somewhere waay up which was all snowed in.
Then crying and moaning that "no-one" has come to offer assistance/food/chai latte nor to tell them what was going on...
I guess all the white stuff falling from the sky wasn't enough of a hint for them.
Post #1017342 4th Dec 2023 7:51am
JPE

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
My all year round special emergency kit:

- stove
- kettle
- water
- fork
- bombay bad boy pot noodle

What more could anyone possibly need (except perhaps a backup pot noodle)?
Post #1017343 4th Dec 2023 8:09am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Not much mention of a phone charger battery, or if you have a USB fitted, the correct USB cable(s) to charge (all) the phone(s) in the car.

Also you travel with 6 year old daughter, the latest My Little Pony downloaded in case you loose connectivity (the horror!)
Post #1017364 4th Dec 2023 11:43am
camelman

United Kingdom 
A sledge. 
Post #1017368 4th Dec 2023 12:10pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Loving the Bombay bad boy....

I will add this and a stove in our kit Smile
Post #1017369 4th Dec 2023 12:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12