↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Who designed the latest LR vehicles?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nebc100

Luxembourg 
Who designed the latest LR vehicles?
Hello all,

I have had my 110 for about 2 weeks, and I used it for towing for the first time today.

I have horses and have to tow a 2000L water drum in and out of the horse field nearly every week.

I have been doing this with my D2, then with my Gen1 RRS or with my D3…. These were ALL much better when reversing with the trailer than either my D5 or 110 because in the D5 or 110 you simply cannot see the trailer out the back window.

The D5’s rear window is too high, so you cannot see the trailer, but you can at least see if in the reversing camera.

The 110’s spare wheel blocks the visibility out the back window, and I cannot see the trailer. To make matters worse, the reversing camera is too low, and just lets me see the front of the trailer but nothing further back, and the Clearview camera is too high and doesn’t show the trailer at all.

Did the LR design team actually TRY towing with these vehicles?

The old design teams certainly did, but I am honestly not impressed with the new designs.

It is a shame because the cars tow my horse trailer (and other trailers) brilliantly otherwise, and this is just as well as I have probably towed about 10000km this year alone!!

Has anyone else found this to be the case?
Post #1016443 26th Nov 2023 8:12pm
Moo

Ukraine 
Not sure you need to tow on the school run, hence the focus groups wouldn't have considered it. Confused Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1016449 26th Nov 2023 8:18pm
nebc100

Luxembourg 
Probably true!!! Although might be good to take little “Johnny” to school in a cattle trailer!! He might learn a bit about life and how the world works. Wink
Post #1016451 26th Nov 2023 8:35pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
My experience has been that the new defender is a dream for towing…

The way that the rear cameras, deployable towbar etc all link into the system is really slick and helpful, and I’ve had no problems with visibility really

But I did have an old 110 before and so the visibility was even worse Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #1016476 27th Nov 2023 1:21am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
PS if you didn’t know, there are 2 different rear camera views that you can switch between by clicking on the camera direction icons on the top-down 360 view, one right and one wider Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #1016477 27th Nov 2023 1:22am
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
I have a 2007 Defender and its superb for towing, big trailers are a breeze to reverse on the door mirrors, small trailers you can't see are a PITA!

I put a pair of the Flexi stalk lorry lights on a bar on the rear of the little trailer I had so I could see it in the mirrors in the day or night, it was still comparatively a PITA but at least I could see where it was going!

HTH Keith
Post #1016485 27th Nov 2023 9:55am
RDR

United Kingdom 
my old Disco 3 & 4's were the best tow cars I have ever owned. D5 wasn't as stable and the 110 isn't much better over the D5. Real visibility is not as good as the old ones but compensated for in the Camera views however it takes some getting used too. The L460 was pretty planted when towing heavy but I think was helped by its own weight (PHEV) which did reduce the towing capacity. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #1016486 27th Nov 2023 10:03am
nebc100

Luxembourg 
Didn’t know about the other camera angle… will try it next time, but don’t think it will work as the issue is actually that the camera is too low.

The D5 camera is higher up, and gets a better view of my water drum.

It is a strange trailer because it is LONG, but thin and a bit higher than a standard trailer so the camera on the roof can’t see if, the camera on the back bumper can only see the “front” of the drum, and because of the wheel on the boot door, I cannot see it out the rear window because the drum is in the middle of the trailer.

I have now towed with, d5, RRS, D3, FFRR, D2, Volvo 850, Skoda Octavia 4x4 (I think that is all).

The D2 (manual) was a bit underpowered but otherwise excellent. Visibility was GREAT!!

FFRR was the td6… good visibility, nice and stable, but underpowered.

RRS and D3 were excellent for towing.

D5 tows REALLY well (do not find it squirrely at all!!) but rear visibility out window is not great because window is set too high. Cameras work great through!!

D110… not had long enough to say how it tows, but cameras (although they are better quality than on the d5) are not well placed, and visibility out rear window is severely compromised by the spare wheel!!
Post #1016543 27th Nov 2023 6:24pm
mani_jeenu

Australia 
Clearsight mirror should help in that instance and that is the reason it is offered as a upgrade when you have something to tow
Post #1016793 30th Nov 2023 1:23am
nebc100

Luxembourg 
In my case, clearsight doesn’t help in the slightest. The camera is too high and I cannot even see the end of the trailer.

Next time I tow that trailer, I will take some photos of
1. The clearsight image
2. The image out the rear window
3. The reversing camera images

Will either be this weekend or next weekend… depends how much water the horse drink Wink
Post #1016797 30th Nov 2023 7:30am
Tim in Scotland

You know that you can adjust the Clearsight mirror camera on the roof up/down and the screen brightness with the buttons under the RVM? I could adjust it in my last Defender First Edition 110 , it wasn’t available on my new one when I ordered it.

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #1016844 30th Nov 2023 4:01pm
nebc100

Luxembourg 
I know you can adjust the height of the clearview mirror, but even with the camera pointing down as much as possible, it doesn’t help in my case.
Post #1016882 30th Nov 2023 7:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1