↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > LOF clutch master cylinder
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
piechipsandpeas

Australia 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
LOF clutch master cylinder
Over the last few weeks the clutch bite point has become higher on the pedal stroke, so I took the cover off the pedal box to see if the master cylinder rod nuts had come loose and needed readjusting. Removing the cover led me to find fluid has been leaking past the main seal and the fluid that was left in the reservoir was very dark in colour. Very annoyed as this is an LOF Powermaster cylinder which is only 11 months old Big Cry The original one lasted 9 years.

Have others had similar experience with the LOF ones? I had hoped they were a good quality item, maybe I just got a duff one.

Fortunately, I have a spare LOF one as when I ordered one from Rimmer Bros at the end of last year Australia Post managed to lose it in transit. Well after a month or so of trying to trace it Rimmer Bros kindly sent a replacement FOC via a different courier which arrived in just over a week which I fitted. Then a few weeks later the first (lost) one turned up, which will be going in tomorrow, and I'll see how long it lasts.[/i]
Post #1016339 25th Nov 2023 2:03pm
Angus_Beef

Norway 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Same experience for me unfortunately Roaming around 🇳🇴🇨🇭
Post #1016360 25th Nov 2023 5:02pm
andy63

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Aintree Green
Re: LOF clutch master cylinder
piechipsandpeas wrote:
Over the last few weeks the clutch bite point has become higher on the pedal stroke, so I took the cover off the pedal box to see if the master cylinder rod nuts had come loose and needed readjusting. Removing the cover led me to find fluid has been leaking past the main seal and the fluid that was left in the reservoir was very dark in colour. Very annoyed as this is an LOF Powermaster cylinder which is only 11 months old Big Cry The original one lasted 9 years.

Have others had similar experience with the LOF ones? I had hoped they were a good quality item, maybe I just got a duff one.

Fortunately, I have a spare LOF one as when I ordered one from Rimmer Bros at the end of last year Australia Post managed to lose it in transit. Well after a month or so of trying to trace it Rimmer Bros kindly sent a replacement FOC via a different courier which arrived in just over a week which I fitted. Then a few weeks later the first (lost) one turned up, which will be going in tomorrow, and I'll see how long it lasts.[/i]

im still currently trying to get to the bottom of clutch fluid issues.. I replaced my clutch and hydraulic components including the master cylinder , and was immediately met with the fluid contaminating rather rapidly..
ill link to the thread in case you are interested..its still work in progress im afraid, as the original resealed grilling cylinder I put back on in place of the new lof cylinder is still turning dark with debris , maybe not as quickly...
I intend changing the pipework at some point as that would get rid of the flexible rubber hose at the slave end of the system, and is the only part of the system that is original ....but as the lab report didn't indicate any aluminium contamination, I presumed it most probably wasn't a master cylinder material issue, I have nonetheless less reworked a cast iron master cylinder to fit my connections, which is yet another option...
it all takes time to reach conclusions and eliminate causes, but ill report back on the original thread when I have any new developments Thumbs Up

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic89524.html
Post #1016366 25th Nov 2023 6:08pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
my LOF master cylinder also lasted all of about 6 months before I spotted fluid on the floor mat and the fluid had turned black, it was fitted by a well known and respected supplier whom replaced it with a Wilwood one which has been OK for several years. DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #1016382 25th Nov 2023 8:31pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
I had an issue with the ‘uprated’ LOF slave cylinder failing and having to have the clutch out again to replace it after less than a year.

Now have an OEM slave fitted with the LOF clutch and the LOF master cylinder, but keeping an eye out on the master incase of failure..

We spoke to LOF at the landrover show in the summer and they said that the master cylinder should not be changed till after the clutch had settled in (12 weeks or so) ... as stated on the instructions ...!!! Big Cry

Needless to say I was not that impressed, however now know what to watch for. Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #1016407 26th Nov 2023 9:43am
andy63

What reason is given for not changing the master cylinder at the same time as a clutch replacement..
Needless to say that's what I did.. 😩,
Nothing mentioned at the point of sale when it would have been obvious what the intention was... But I did not see the instructions you refer to🫣.. And what if the master cyl needed changing at the same time??? Or was the main issue that prompted the whole job??
Post #1016409 26th Nov 2023 10:20am
kmac

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
From their links to buy...

This Master can be fitted to All Defenders & Series 3, Also can be fitted with LOF POWERspring for best results

*Cannot be fitted in conjunction with the LOF POWER Slave cylinder*

* Please do not fit with a brand new clutch until it is fully bedded in- reason being a new clutch has a low biting point, and the LOF master also lowers the biting point somewhat, therefore combined it can be awkward to Drive, hence it is best to bed any new clutch in for 3-4000 miles before fitting, allowing for the biting point to rise up to a middle ground*
Post #1016455 26th Nov 2023 9:38pm
andy63

Thanks for that.. I obviously missed it, but I needed both doing so I suspect I'd have had to fit both anyway..
I thought mine was a hydraulic issue.. Ie failed mater, but when I looked at the clutch the springs in the friction plate were goosed anyway..
Anyhow I didn't experience any issues with the workings of the clutch..
Post #1016462 26th Nov 2023 10:36pm
piechipsandpeas

Fitted the new one yesterday. No issues apart from cleaning up all the brake fluid that had leaked out of the old one. Does anyone know if you can rebuild the LOF ones as I could keep the old one as a spare. I like the feel of the LOF one with its operation requiring less pedal effort, but to have to replace after such a short timeframe isn't really acceptable. Surely improving the quality of the components to last longer wouldn't increase the retail price that much.

Hi LR90XS2011, do you know which Wilwood one you had fitted? Had a look at their website, they seem to be a decent quality brand.

To bleed the clutch I now use my good old Gunsons Easibleed which makes it very easy and quick and always results in good pedal pressure first time round.

I did a quick measure of the clutch piping (see long section sketch below) which shows why air becomes easily trapped and can result in it being so difficult to bleed. The measurements show that bleeding from the master cylinder to the bleed nipple adjacent to the cylinder you have to push air a total of 59cm downwards, whilst even reverse bleeding you have to still push it 32cm downwards. So it doesn't matter which way you bleed it you still have to force any air in the pipe a considerable way downwards against its will.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1016512 27th Nov 2023 1:53pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
unfortunately I cant see the details on it, it clearly has a larger bore than the LOF one as the clutch became heavier when fitted and the bite point moved up a bit.

Click image to enlarge

Have taken a photo but cant see any markings that help, it was supplied and fitted by IRB so Ian may be able to help DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #1016566 27th Nov 2023 8:20pm
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
I actually encountered the early fail of my LOF power master cylinder too. When contacting LOF, I was asked a few questions and it was determined that mine was apparently from one of the first batches and that this batch had cylinders that failed quickly. Maybe yours was from the same batch? I was told by LOF that they'd send me a new one when I ordered something else from them. My LOF spring snapped, again an early batch issue apparently, same solution applied.

Willwood looks like a good solution. My clutch leg was actually looking for the stiffer pedal for precise control.
Post #1016592 28th Nov 2023 3:49am
piechipsandpeas

Thanks LR90XS2011 for the photo. I think it is likely to be their GS Compact one, the original LR ones seem to be Girling manufactured and very similar.

I also like the fact you can buy a Wilwood one and fit a remote reservoir. This would, depending on where it was mounted, make checking the fluid and bleeding the system a whole lot easier as space to the existing reservoir is pretty limited as well as with it being inclined meaning the reservoir isn't always as full as it could be.
Post #1016593 28th Nov 2023 6:23am
piechipsandpeas

I also changed out the clutch switch for a new one at the same time. After a few days of driving around I must say what a huge difference it has made to the way the car drives, especially in first and second gear. It is an awful lot smoother when throttling on/off, I wouldn't have thought it would have made such a difference, but glad I did it. It's almost civilised now.
Post #1016829 30th Nov 2023 1:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1