↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Anxiety.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Oldyellar

Scotland 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Anxiety.
Hi guys I'm heading off tomorrow for a nice 75day Trip to Australia.
Only problem is I can't shake the anxiety about it I've narrowed it down to a fear of the long haul flight. I am a pretty frequent flyer and usually ok with stuff like this.
Any advice is appreciated thanks
Post #1015707 20th Nov 2023 8:32am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
I do long hauls pretty often, this year alone did 5 round trips to Asia, not to mention the short ones around Europe.
I actually prefer the long ones, planes are usually more comfy, although they differ airline to airline.
My recommendation is to check in online as early as possible. I prefer to take an isle seat in the middle rows of seats. Less likely to get disturbed. Strangely, since Covid, flights are much more busy (and expensive). 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1015709 20th Nov 2023 9:23am
BrickBox

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Load up your devices with plenty of pod casts and films that the flight may not be able to offer.

Focus your mind on something like sourcing parts/make a list for your Defender etc. Any distractions will help.

Also, walk around often and chat to other people while you’re in a queue for the toilet etc.

Spend a little extra on a travel pillow etc. 2008 2.4 110 Utility XS.
Post #1015713 20th Nov 2023 9:39am
jim4244

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
I find that the below works quite well for me

*Always fly Business Class. If you have booked economy then when you drop your bags on the day of the flight ask if there are any cheap upgrades available. Ask for an aisle seat.

*Don't get drunk or take weird medication recommended by "Dave down the pub" Stay hydrated and walk around the cabin every couple of hours.

*Think about investing in a set of over the ear noise cancelling head phones. Absolutely brilliant pieces of kit that take you off to your own little world.

*Try to focus on how great the end result of arriving in Australia will be!

Sorry that I can't help more. Which airline and route are you flying?

Jim
Post #1015743 20th Nov 2023 1:26pm
piechipsandpeas

Australia 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Focus on the destination and don't worry about the flight..............................sharks, snakes, spiders, bull ants, box jellyfish, blue ringed octopus Thumbs Up
Post #1015744 20th Nov 2023 1:26pm
piechipsandpeas

Australia 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
...........and the crocs.
Post #1015746 20th Nov 2023 1:44pm
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
big baggy loose clothing, easy on/off shoes and socks, move every hour for at least 5 mins, plus think of the fun you'll have at the end destination. Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #1015772 20th Nov 2023 4:08pm
Tim in Scotland

Pre-retirement I used to do 3-4 long haul flights a year - in the cheapest seats available. I arrived at JFK to board a BA flight to LHR and popped into the W H Smiths in the BA terminal to get a book just as they were closing for the night and after paying for the book the cashier put a fist full of wrapped free sample Tylenol tablets in the bag with the book. I could just read the label and they were anti-histamine “sleep aid” tablets……….. I didn’t bother raking them but my next flight was London to Dunedin via Singapore/Sydney/Auckland and Wellington. London - Singapore I was in a bulkhead seat next to a lady with a very young baby……………. After dinner I popped a couple of the Tylenol and the next thing I knew we were on approach to Changi Airport! Lady next to me commented that she didn’t know how I had managed any sleep as her baby had been kicking me all through the flight and what were the tablets she saw me pop! In the UK we cannot get quite such strong antihistamine as you can in the States but Boots anti-hay fever antihistamine works pretty well as a sleeping tablet I’ve since found. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #1015777 20th Nov 2023 5:04pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Breathing. I know you have to breathe (that’s a given) but to alleviate anxiety, breath exercises work a treat.
Breathe in and hold for seven seconds. Breathe out and hold for eleven seconds (or whatever works for you in that kind of proportion). Do this as you require. It works for relaxation as well.

Anxiety is a horrible thing and it can grip anyone at any time. Good luck. I hope it goes well and you have a good flight.

As for flying Business Class, I thoroughly recommend it. My bank balance, not so much so Laughing Only managed an upgrade once on the flight out. The flight back in Cattle Class was a bit of a disappointment
Post #1015783 20th Nov 2023 5:23pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Dinnu wrote:
I do long hauls pretty often, this year alone did 5 round trips to Asia, not to mention the short ones around Europe.
I actually prefer the long ones, planes are usually more comfy, although they differ airline to airline.
My recommendation is to check in online as early as possible. I prefer to take an aisle seat in the middle rows of seats. Less likely to get disturbed. Strangely, since Covid, flights are much more busy (and expensive).

Completely agree with the above. As a very long-lived long haul flier the above is excellent advice. Especially for the 6 foot and over person, the aisle seats or the emergency exit seats are key.

As for "sanity" gear: Noise cancelling earphones are excellent as are those with a 3.5mm phono jack so you can use them with the in-flight entertainment system. You cannot expect SUB charging so take a battery pack with you if you intend to use your phone for tickets and entertainment. After that it is a case of the essentials: wallet, passport, pants, deodorant, mints and tooth brush. The rest you can get in-country.

I absolutely love flying, but as said, post-covid the airports seem to be bursting at the seams with travellers. The best advice I can give is leave plenty of time, take it in your stride and thank goodness for an Audible account and noise cancelling earphones.

Oh and the last two bits of advice... Hydrate and the help desks are amazing if you are unsure of where to go.
Post #1015786 20th Nov 2023 5:34pm
Jerry

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
I’m not a fan of long haul fights either. Lots of sensible advice on here. I generally just watch films and can recommend top gun maverick especially if you have a bit of turbulence - it’s like being in one of those full effect cinemas! Hope it goes well.
Post #1015817 20th Nov 2023 9:03pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter I did indeed watch Maverick on my last trans Atlantic Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #1015819 20th Nov 2023 9:05pm
Oldyellar

Scotland 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Thanks for all the replies guys it means alot, I have been very busy today so I've never had a chance to think about anything so that's been good Laughing I'm feeling good about it now raring to go. I have a stop over in UAE for one night so thst will break things up. Thanks again
Post #1015823 20th Nov 2023 9:24pm
DAZ110

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
Have a great time. Thumbs Up
Post #1015825 20th Nov 2023 9:37pm
ScarboroughSeadog

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Keswick Green
Drink as many of the free in flight gin & tonics as you can. Browse a Land Rover mag or two. Then have a little snooze. When you wake up, gently resume the same course of action until you arrive.
Post #1015851 20th Nov 2023 11:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>