↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > High HTHS oil
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Rednaxela

United Kingdom 
High HTHS oil
Getting to that time when I need to replace the engine oil (TD5).

I've run a fully syn 5w30 ACEA A5/B5 spec for the last while but it seems to be one of those oils with fuel economy in mind, therefore potentially with a lower HTHS rating. (High HTHS = better engine protection). (The oil was Millers oil - code 6221).

I'm having difficulty identifying an oil which displays its HTHS rating on a data sheet. Maybe going for a ACEA B1 or B3 oil would be an idea.

Any ideas...
Post #1014207 7th Nov 2023 12:54pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Maybe filter your search to ester-synthetic oils. These are the most expensive, highest quality and I think tend to be HTHS. Options are limited though. https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-953-ester-syn...tityids=53

BMW LL04 spec is quality synthetic oil that was used in the pre-fuel economy days a few years ago. Something like this https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-92073-motul-8...e-oil.aspx

Look at other long-life full synthetic oils that don't say anything about fuel economy on the can. Maybe the ones intended for VAG variable service intervals from a few years ago.

Maybe drop an email to Opie Oils, they are usually helpful with technical queries. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1014239 7th Nov 2023 5:36pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Acea A3/B4 HTHS cP ≥3.5
SAE 0W-30 group IV base oils (PAO)
SAE 5w-30 group III oils (usually HC. Not "true" synthetic) Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #1014305 7th Nov 2023 11:28pm
Rednaxela

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the input.

I went today to a near supplier who I can't really beat for price, picked up some Millers 7625. That's fully synthetic 5w40, A3/B3. Interested to see how a 5w40 goes.
Post #1014447 8th Nov 2023 8:40pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Quite thick for a Td5. Anyway, only an oil analysis will tell how it went. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #1014483 8th Nov 2023 11:41pm
spudfan

Ireland 
I am using this MANNOL Energy Formula FR 5W-30.
"Innovative energy-saving ester-containing fully synthetic premium engine oil specially developed for modern diesel engines and a number of petrol engines in FORD and VOLVO vehicles, considering the requirements for heavy-duty operation and extended engine oil change intervals. The oil can be used in petrol and diesel engines of European and Asian car manufacturers requiring API SN and ACEA A5/B5 oils.
Product properties:
- Ester components provide excellent anti-wear and anti-friction properties due to the exceptional durability of the oil film, which, combined with excellent pumpability, significantly increases engine life even in “start-stop” mode;
- Significantly saves fuel due to the reduced high-temperature viscosity (HTHS) and excellent anti-friction properties;
- Effectively protects the timing belt from wear, offers an increased total base number (TBN) and excellent compatibility with sealing materials, following additional requirements of FORD;
- Provides easy, low-temperature engine starting due to its excellent pumpability and particularly turnability, which significantly reduces engine starting wear;
- Effectively protects the timing belt from wear, offers an increased total base number (TBN) and excellent compatibility with sealing materials, following additional requirements of FORD;
- A synthetic base guarantees low volatility and reduced operating consumption;
- Excellent washing and dispersing properties, together with the highest thermal-oxidative stability, effectively prevent all types of deposits and keep engine separate parts clean throughout the oil change interval;
- Due to its high thermal-oxidative stability, it resists ageing effectively, thus extending the oil change interval;
- Suits bio diesel engines.

Designed for diesel engines of passenger vehicles by FORD, VOLVO and GM, where SAE 5W-30 oil is recommended, which complies with the ACEA A5/B5 standard and meets FORD WSS-M2C913-D specification, as well as for petrol and diesel engines of these brands where previous specifications 913-C, 913-B and 913-A oils are recommended."
Using it in two Puma 2.4 vehicles. No issues but I change yearly and always within specified guidelines. It is well priced. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #1014559 9th Nov 2023 5:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1