↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Life after a Defender - What would you choose?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Speed limits in these cases are nothing to do with tax classes. they're determined by whether the vehicle qualifies as a 'dual purpose vehicle', which is determined by unladen weight and being 4wd. There's been a lot of discussion on the forum about this over the years but this thread is a good place to start for more details:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic87520.html Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #1013543 1st Nov 2023 5:03pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
MarkBrown wrote:
Jeep wrangler 4 door.

Just replaced my 2011USW with one, beam axles, 280HP, 8 speed auto, proper panel gaps, leather, not overly endowed with electronics, iconic shape. more affordable than a G-Wagon.

Click image to enlarge
 Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #1013548 1st Nov 2023 5:48pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
l love the Weangler particularly in LWB and post 2018 with the 2.0 engines.

I would have bought one, but again they're not a Commercial Vehicle so l couldn't put it through my LTD Company.
Post #1013549 1st Nov 2023 5:57pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Pity you're missing a treat. I've had Land Rover series, 300tdi and Puma since 1977, 5 in all and never without one.
The Wrangler is the only 4x4 that might fill the Land Rover gap in my life!

Click image to enlarge
 Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #1013553 1st Nov 2023 6:06pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Lol... BMW X5 with a side sprinkling of a VW T5 California and a Volvo XC70 for the grunt work. Off road is now CRF1000 in rally spec Thumbs Up

Might consider an ID Buzz in the future to replace the Volvo, as it offers more space, however I do like the gruff 5 cylinder D5 and the comfort of the Volvo.
Post #1013556 1st Nov 2023 6:21pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Speed limits in these cases are nothing to do with tax classes. they're determined by whether the vehicle qualifies as a 'dual purpose vehicle', which is determined by unladen weight and being 4wd. There's been a lot of discussion on the forum about this over the years but this thread is a good place to start for more details:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic87520.html

Yes, fair enough, thanks for that. I was trying answer the point about pickups and motorway speed limit but went too far!

I have a Navara pickup and there has been considerable debate on the nissan-navara.net site on the same subject. Most variants are under the 2040kg limit but some premium versions may be over. If anyone’s interested see https://www.nissan-navara.net/threads/spee...y_top_post
Post #1013565 1st Nov 2023 6:56pm
Jerry

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
I’d like a Toyota Land Cruiser 300 series
Or a Toyota 79 series
Or ford bronco
…But none of these coming to the uk
G wagon definitely but way too expensive
I like the wranglers when they are lifted with larger tyres but not stock
So I’ll stick with the classic defender (I like the new defender in 90 format but would be concerned over long term >5 yr reliability on electronics).
Post #1013580 1st Nov 2023 9:06pm
Tim in Scotland

I’m already planning for a Fisker Ocean Force E in 3-4 years time. I suspect that the way JLR’s prices are going I won’t be able to afford a Defender BEV
https://www.fiskerinc.com/en-gb/forcee Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #1013581 1st Nov 2023 9:40pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Humvee ( Hummer H1) or unimog Very Happy
Post #1013582 1st Nov 2023 9:44pm
J77

Scotland 
I’ll be taking a look at the Defender Sport EV or whatever they call it. Can’t see me moving from the Land Rover stable but if I did it’d be a Volvo of some description. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #1013584 1st Nov 2023 9:58pm
XplusYplusZ

Tim in Scotland wrote:
I suspect that the way JLR’s prices are going I won’t be able to afford a Defender BEV

I figure I have at least one more ICE vehicle in me before I must move to an EV - So probably 5-6 years away. I'm hoping by that time, EV battery tech and range will have improved, and the woefully inadequate charging network will have ramped up sufficiently.

For the moment, I'm really not excited by the current offroad EV offerings. Again, I hope that changes 5 years form now. I am pleased to see the Defender BEV is in the works - But as you say, how much is the bloody thing going to cost!?

JLR have already identified the Discovery as an opportunity to 'elevate'.. i.e. squeeze more money from.

But there must be a point at which the market caps off. Not all LR owners have endless funds..
Post #1013623 2nd Nov 2023 11:01am
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
shropshiredefender wrote:
MarkBrown wrote:
Jeep wrangler 4 door.

Just replaced my 2011USW with one, beam axles, 280HP, 8 speed auto, proper panel gaps, leather, not overly endowed with electronics, iconic shape. more affordable than a G-Wagon.

Click image to enlarge

I bet it's lovely, I've had a few Jeeps and once said I'd never ever own another Land Rover! I've since had three, and have started another 90 build, I guess one of each would do.....
Post #1013638 2nd Nov 2023 12:39pm
Telemarkskier

United Kingdom 
XplusYplusZ wrote:
Tim in Scotland wrote:
I suspect that the way JLR’s prices are going I won’t be able to afford a Defender BEV

I figure I have at least one more ICE vehicle in me before I must move to an EV - So probably 5-6 years away. I'm hoping by that time, EV battery tech and range will have improved, and the woefully inadequate charging network will have ramped up sufficiently.

For the moment, I'm really not excited by the current off road EV offerings. Again, I hope that changes 5 years form now. I am pleased to see the Defender BEV is in the works - But as you say, how much is the bloody thing going to cost!?

JLR have already identified the Discovery as an opportunity to 'elevate'.. i.e. squeeze more money from.

But there must be a point at which the market caps off. Not all LR owners have endless funds..

JLR have already priced me out of the market so I am keeping my 2020 Defender for the time being. It's reliable and comfortable. Only real gripes are the door rubber creaks and the cost of the extended warranty. I suspect the small BEV Defender will have a starting price tag North of £60,000 2020 Defender 110 SE 240D: Fuji White.
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE
2007 Freelander2 HSE (man)
Post #1013652 2nd Nov 2023 3:16pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Ineos Grenadier! The perfect Defender extender! Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #1013667 2nd Nov 2023 5:00pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
New Land Cruiser when it’s out next year, until then I’ll use my 25 year old LC which never puts a foot wrong. However I’ll still have a S1 and a 2 door RRC in the garage Thumbs Up
Post #1013669 2nd Nov 2023 5:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>