↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Trying to decide between D5 D300 and 663 D300
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
RDR

United Kingdom 
I have owned d3,d4,d5 and a l460 Range Rover. Out of the current LR crop I prefer the defender. It’s definitely tougher than the disco and Range Rover and when comparing gadgets and features all models are basically the same even some of the switch gear carries over. If the defender had the option for a proper drop down tailgate it would be about perfect. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #1011587 17th Oct 2023 7:03pm
IRBails

Australia 
I like the Dfender, also but if there isn't too much difference mechanically then as my main concerns are as a tow vehicle I may go the D5. I still have to check rear axle loading as this has a big imoact on Tow Ball weights.
Post #1011615 17th Oct 2023 10:22pm
zilch

Australia 
Quote:
I like the Dfender, also but if there isn't too much difference mechanically then as my main concerns are as a tow vehicle I may go the D5. I still have to check rear axle loading as this has a big imoact on Tow Ball weights.

Had our 7 seater weighed when both hitched and unhitched, with the our Zone Caravan weighing in at
2.91t, the TBW at 201kg (a bit light), the rear axle was at 1704kg, so 186kg spare with the
Defender loaded with 2 adults, recovery gear and a full tank of petrol.. 60kg of the rear axle load
transferred from the front axle when hitched.. yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #1011632 18th Oct 2023 6:26am
malibu

Australia 
Towing limits in Australia are very complicated and not many people fully understand them. This guy is very knowlagble and compares D5 vs 110 and many other cars. Both are very capable towing vehicles. The D5 has a few KG more capacity.

Post #1011634 18th Oct 2023 6:44am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
IRBails wrote:

I would still say the disco 5, correctly spec'd is probably better.

Theres not a land rover ive not owned, except the absolute latest RR and RRS, but having D5 and defender side by side, i always used the d5 for the larger tasks and towing and as such ive only towed with the defender once, favouring the d5 Mike
Post #1011651 18th Oct 2023 9:51am
norland

I went D5 after a lot of agonising over the decision. Do like the chunky external styling of the Defender, but the hatchback instead of swing door(mainly) and also the interior and space of the D5 finally swung me that way. Very happy with that choice after living with it for a while, but think either one is a solid choice depending on your individual preferences.
Post #1011696 18th Oct 2023 7:08pm
Moo

Ukraine 
I like my new Defender, prefer my D4 for overall functionality, but with hind sight should probably have bought the D5 for practicality and our lifestyle, even though it's a bit too 'posh' and is pig ugly. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1011723 18th Oct 2023 10:34pm
IRBails

Australia 
So much great info here. I aim to see a D5 in the flesh soon, Price wise the Defender and D5 are on par, and the mechanicals don't seem to vary that much. So for a tow vehicle the D5 is starting to grab my attention.
Post #1011724 18th Oct 2023 11:02pm
DFNDER

Australia 
Mate has a D5, just towed his new 2.6t van around WA, he's told me that he'll need potentially new LCAs and a wheel alignment after that, I guess it's the price you pay for the ride comfort in the D5.

I'm still to tow a van with my L663 so can't comment on how the L663 compares.
Post #1011735 19th Oct 2023 5:54am
Guyneutron

United Kingdom 
IRBails wrote:
So much great info here. I aim to see a D5 in the flesh soon, Price wise the Defender and D5 are on par, and the mechanicals don't seem to vary that much. So for a tow vehicle the D5 is starting to grab my attention.

I just pulled the trigger on a Defender 110 D300, when I went in the dealership a few days ago they had a D5 metropolitan, and it definitely got me thinking, it was super plush inside and felt much much more lux then the defender, for a hot second i considered it, but ive been wanting a defender for a while now, and for me, looks wise i much prefer the defender(i like the front end of the D5 but the from the rear doors back it doesn't look right to me)
The defender also feels alot more spacious inside(although its probably just perception due to the panoramic roof)
At the end i think it truely boils down to which you prefer the look of, and if you want a more rugged interior(defender is still very nice inside) or a more plush/lux interior.
Just my 2 cents offcourse
Post #1011737 19th Oct 2023 7:33am
zilch

Australia 
DFNDER wrote:
Mate has a D5, just towed his new 2.6t van around WA, he's told me that he'll need potentially new LCAs and a wheel alignment after that, I guess it's the price you pay for the ride comfort in the D5.

I'm still to tow a van with my L663 so can't comment on how the L663 compares.

With the larger and tougher suspension components, in theory the Defender should take more
corrugated road punishment and therefore less LCA replacement.. a common replacement component
on most LR’s after a few years of off road punishment and a tad longer if mostly living on the tarmac..

In theory of course Whistle yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #1011875 20th Oct 2023 6:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12