↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Best stick on sound proofing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
blackwolf wrote:
At the moment my thoughts are self-adhesive closed cell foam, dos the panel think that this would be the best, or is there something better?

I'm sure that self adhesive closed cell foam would solve the problem and has the advantage of being cheap as chips. However, as you're not looking for sound proofing qualities then a thermal insulating foil based product may be better. Something like this, which is just the first example I found on a quick search: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bubble-Foil-Alu...Sww0ZeL2Ub Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #821558 27th Mar 2020 9:14am
Fatbaron

United Kingdom 
I've used Silent Coat a few times now and think it's great. A heat gun makes the job a doddle. Thumbs Up
Post #823252 4th Apr 2020 7:52am
Jem_90

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Baltic Blue

I’ve used Noico from amazon, it’s worked a treat so far...
Post #823341 4th Apr 2020 8:07pm
LiftedDisco

Have a hunt for something called Tecsound 100 which can be found with a sticky back... I’ve just used this to treat a building to enhance the DB rating of the structure and have used some off-cuts on the Tornado build.

It’s an elastomeric polymer, weighs around 10kg per m2 and is particularly good at low frequency noise.

Any good?
Post #823516 5th Apr 2020 6:52pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Re: Best stick on sound proofing
jst wrote:
What's the consensus on best value for money sound deadening I can stick the rear seat box of a double cab?

I'd say anything you stick down is only going to cause problems long term. With so many seams in the bodywork, moisture will get in and then once trapped will help accelerate corrosion, unseen until you or a future owner notices a major issue or goes to do some upgrade.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

There's a reason Lotus had a major recall on the Elise to remove stuck down rubber mats in the footwells and bond in new panels to counteract the corrosion.

Maybe, there's a new tech solution that's more appropriate :

"Silentium’s Active Acoustics software can take out 90% of unwanted road noise

Active noise control might seem like a nice-to-have rather than a must-have, but it’s becoming as significant a part of vehicle architectures as the metals and plastics used to create them.

Active noise-cancellation systems, which detect unwanted noise and cancel it with signals broadcast through the car’s audio system, have now become fairly commonplace on premium cars. As well as making the driving experience more relaxing, active noise cancellation systems have a significant role to play in reducing vehicle weight by cancelling noise that would otherwise be controlled using hefty passive noise-damping materials.

Early noise-cancellation systems could tackle fairly narrow frequency ranges and have been good at dealing with predictable noise like that created by engine vibration. But more random sound, such as wind or road noise, is much harder to deal with.

Israeli firm Silentium has come up with a new software package called Active Acoustics, a facet of which is broadband active road noise cancellation. Drawing on signals generated by microphones and sensors to measure suspension movement, the system has recently been introduced by Jaguar Land Rover on the Jaguar F-Pace, Jaguar XF and Range Rover Velar, and it can take noise over a wide range of frequencies, from 20Hz to 1kHz (1000Hz).

Beyond road noise, the Active Acoustics software can be configured to take out a range of unwanted sound from various sources, leaving only the desirable sound. The system can also be used to profile noise, shaping the noise spectrum to a certain level inside the cabin that’s pleasant, comfortable and safe. In that role, Active Acoustics uses the same methods as active noise-cancellation, such as software, transducers and computing power to sense the noises that need to be manipulated.

The noise-shaping technology can add noises that aren’t there but are desirable or emphasise sound that a driver wants to pay more attention to, like telephony, driver alert signals and external sounds entering the cabin, such as ambulance and police car sirens.

Active Acoustics is still an evolving technology, though, with the eventual goal of manipulating every sound in the cabin, especially speech, which is one of the hardest sounds to modify. Although not every sound can be controlled, Silentium is already able to create a ‘quiet bubble’ in space around each occupant’s head. The bubble is a spherical space about 330mm in diameter in which the sound volume and quality can be individually controlled.

One of the first uses of the Active Acoustics bubble was active road noise cancellation, but it’s likely to become even more relevant to EVs, where road noise is no longer masked to some extent by engine noise. Wind noise cancellation using the same techniques is also under development. Personalised audio within each bubble, inaudible to the other occupants in the car, is expected to be ready for production in the next two to three years."

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/technol...-will-love

Click image to enlarge
Post #872978 15th Dec 2020 7:51am
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
I think a Defender kit has to include an additional Alternator to power that system to cancel all the Defender noises. Laughing Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #872989 15th Dec 2020 9:07am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Just crank up some Metallica on the duke box.

Guaranteed to drown out all other noises, cheaper to Thumbs Up
Post #873019 15th Dec 2020 11:20am
Lightwater

Australia 
This is our effort over at the Freelander site. I actually did a lot of research on Defenders to see what you were doing to improve things.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic33026.html

The latest addition is another 25mm of foam on top of some 10mm foam I had already installed.

Click image to enlarge

An interesting article reducing noise on a 4WD bus. I know it's not a car but there are a few numbers & graphs to take onboard if one is going through this process of installing acoustic insulation.

https://www.megasorber.com/soundproofing-case-studies/4wd-coach Visitor - Freelander owner
Post #873175 15th Dec 2020 11:38pm
kenzle8a

If I did anything I would probably go for Lizard Skin on the floor / tub panels as its a proper coating. I don't like the idea of anything stuck onto the surfaces esp over joints.

Covering every inch of the car in foil backed stuff doesn't work either, its only meant to add weight to the middle of large panels.

I'm thinking of using this over a decent base coat like their 2k base.

https://www.buzzweld.co.uk/lizardskin-cera...-pack.html
Post #873222 16th Dec 2020 10:49am
Jon w

Wales 1991 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Epsom Green
I have found the large roll of Dodo matt works out cheaper to the stick on foil stuff. Have also used Silent coat. While it isn't intended for covering a whole panel many people do a the more is better theory and adding mass. But a mixture of products are needed to absorb different resonance such as the foams etc.
Post #873232 16th Dec 2020 11:16am
C&M

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
Perhaps some of you insulation gurus could give me some advice?

I will shortly be removing the droopy headlining from my Disco2 to re-upholster it, it has the usual D2 problem of the foam layer disintegrating so the fabric drops. While the headlining is out, I want to apply some insulation to the bare steel roof since another well know D2 problem is that you get a mass of condensation on the roof which then pools and shoots out of the front seat belt upper mounts straight into your lap (or the passenger's lap) when you set off.

It was my plan to apply some form of thermal insulation (noise really isn't an issue) to try to inhibit the condensation. At the moment my thoughts are self-adhesive closed cell foam, dos the panel think that this would be the best, or is there something better?

Many thanks!

I am waiting to do my soundproofing next spring when I have more time but was really getting fed up with the condensation so bought 4 bags of silicon balls for £20 and put 2 in front, 2 in back. pleased with the results for now as a quick fix - windows are all dry in the mornings now Defender D250 HSE
Dender 110 XS - sadly gone
VW Polo
VW Caravelle - Gen 6
Post #873392 17th Dec 2020 8:16am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Can't help remembering the simpler days...

Click image to enlarge
Post #873716 19th Dec 2020 7:24am
johamelbon

United States 
When it comes to stick-on soundproofing materials, there are a few options you can consider:

1. Butyl-based Sound Deadening Sheets: These sheets are often made of butyl rubber and are designed to dampen vibration and block sound. They have a sticky backing that allows them to adhere to various surfaces. The thickness and density of the material will affect its effectiveness. Look for high-quality brands that offer good adhesion and sound-blocking capabilities.

2. Mass-Loaded Vinyl (MLV): MLV is a dense and flexible material that is effective at blocking sound. It typically comes with a backing adhesive that allows for easy installation. MLV is often used in automotive applications to reduce noise transmission. Look for MLV with a high mass per square foot for better soundproofing performance.

3. Acoustic Foam Panels: While not strictly "stick-on," acoustic foam panels can be attached to surfaces using adhesive. These foam panels are designed to absorb sound energy, reducing echo and reverberation. They are commonly used in recording studios and home theaters. Look for foam panels with a high Noise Reduction Coefficient (NRC) for better sound absorption.

4. Self-Adhesive Fiberglass Insulation: Fiberglass insulation with a self-adhesive backing can be another option for soundproofing. This material is typically lightweight, easy to work with, and offers good sound absorption properties. However, be cautious when handling fiberglass and make sure to use proper protective equipment.

It's important to note that the effectiveness of these stick-on soundproofing or Sound Damping materials can vary depending on the specific application and the level of noise you are trying to reduce. It's a good idea to research different brands and read customer reviews to find products that have been proven effective for soundproofing purposes.
Post #1007902 17th Sep 2023 8:46am
west4x4

United Kingdom 
Silent coat from the sound deadening shop on eBay used here did the interior with the 2mm and just done bonnet in the 4mm (as I hadordered the wrong item on eBay) really makes a big difference
Post #1011699 18th Oct 2023 7:49pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Lead sheets do an excellent work Twisted Evil Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #1011726 19th Oct 2023 12:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>