↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Euro 5 taxi ban
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Siwynne

England 
Euro 5 taxi ban
I have recently learned that our local authority have written to all operators giving them just over a year to move away from euro 5 engines. Many 2.2 transit minibuses used for school runs and airport transfers will be massively devalued. Presumably this will mean a glut of high milage 2.2 transits on the market as they are deemed financially unsound to run. I have spoken to two owners who are looking to offload van now and this is just the start
I’m going to keep my eyes peeled and try to pick one up cheap with a view to extracting the engine and reconditioning it myself
Post #1011300 15th Oct 2023 1:25pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
They’ll just register in Wolverhampton and carry on.

Third of Greater Manchester taxi drivers registered in Wolverhampton - FOI https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-67055065 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1011302 15th Oct 2023 1:49pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Good on Wolverhampton Very Happy

Ironic that these mayors go on about their right to make rules for their jurisdiction, even though it affects others outside of their areas, but bleat on about it if others make decisions that they are entitled to make that impact them.
Post #1011312 15th Oct 2023 3:50pm
Oldyellar

Scotland 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Tonight bought for £2800

Click image to enlarge
Post #1011473 16th Oct 2023 8:09pm
Oldyellar

Scotland 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
9 seater full leather 200,000miles. Drives a dream
Post #1011475 16th Oct 2023 8:10pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
lt's hitting values of older Defenders round here. People are offloading them, worried that new legislation will either ban them or impose punitive taxes.

Already if you drive any Defender classed as "Commercial" you'll pay £10 to drive into Sheffield.

l think it's grossly unfair, to impose these taxes retrospectively.
Post #1021460 16th Jan 2024 10:47pm
Moo

Ukraine 
There's no private car ULEZ in Bath, but if you park in a council car park then you will pay for parking based on your Euro classification. Confused

The council will only take payment by App so they know exactly what you drive. Luckily, there are some very good private car parks Thumbs Up Laughing Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1021466 16th Jan 2024 11:50pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Bluest wrote:
They’ll just register in Wolverhampton and carry on.

Third of Greater Manchester taxi drivers registered in Wolverhampton - FOI https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-67055065

Hmm, I wonder why this is happening. Could it be because....

The BBC wrote:
Manchester City Council charges £255 to register as a new private hire driver and between £222 and £342 to register a vehicle depending on its age.

The application fee under Wolverhampton Council is £49 for a one-year licence and £95 to register a vehicle under 10 years old.

£145 versus £597 and probably the need for a new vehicle. Who in their right mind would register in Manchester?

I was amused by the fact that the figures suggest that 13% of the population of Wolverhampton are taxi drivers. I wonder what percentage of those are actually part of Wolverhampton's population.
Post #1021488 17th Jan 2024 10:03am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Moo wrote:

The council will only take payment by App so they know exactly what you drive. Luckily, there are some very good private car parks Thumbs Up Laughing

That’s because they are discriminative little sods, since when does higher emissions apply to parking either?? As bonkers as they’re local and National leaders. Then they do self proclaim to be “wacky”… Whistle Rolling with laughter Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1021540 17th Jan 2024 4:41pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I read a thing a while back, it said that "clean air zones" are like a " Censored ing area in a swimming pool"

think about the logistics of it.... does the clean air put up a hand and stop the dirty air? Laughing

edit: censor alert... meant to spell "pee-ing" area...
Post #1021577 17th Jan 2024 8:33pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Moo wrote:
There's no private car ULEZ in Bath, but if you park in a council car park then you will pay for parking based on your Euro classification. Confused

The council will only take payment by App so they know exactly what you drive. Luckily, there are some very good private car parks Thumbs Up Laughing

lightning wrote:
lt's hitting values of older Defenders round here. People are offloading them, worried that new legislation will either ban them or impose punitive taxes.

Already if you drive any Defender classed as "Commercial" you'll pay £10 to drive into Sheffield.

l think it's grossly unfair, to impose these taxes retrospectively.

It is almost like these cities are trying to drive people into buying online Rolling with laughter Cannot think why the city centres are struggling for visitor numbers. Coming to think of it I cannot remember the last time I went into a city centre, has to be years Rolling Eyes
Post #1021582 17th Jan 2024 8:48pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Same here, I’m not a fan of the city anyway.
Amazon has excellent delivery services, to be honest with a faster delivery than would be practical to go out to get myself.

Main places I go are fuel stations, food shops and agricultural stores. Laughing

Even Halfords have a really, really, good delivery service, and in using that saves fuel for better purposes anyway elsewhere. Mr. Green Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1021584 17th Jan 2024 9:03pm
tonyp

United Kingdom 
The same councils make parking almost impossible and then complain they need help to revive the high streets
Post #1021586 17th Jan 2024 9:16pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
diesel_jim wrote:
I read a thing a while back, it said that "clean air zones" are like a " Censored ing area in a swimming pool"

think about the logistics of it.... does the clean air put up a hand and stop the dirty air? Laughing

edit: censor alert... meant to spell "pee-ing" area...

Bit like Norwich I'm 1970's was a nuclear free zone. Not sure if the Russians ever got the memo.

All I would say about taxi's, I have two friends who bought Ford Galaxy's. They were high mileage and apparently 'only used on long airport runs'. I have seen Addison Lee's garage of Galaxies a few years back. Both cars had hell and all trouble with the DPF's and both vehicles were written off by them after spending shed loads trying to get them working.
Post #1021588 17th Jan 2024 9:21pm
Jabberwocky

Luxembourg 
custom90steve wrote:
Moo wrote:

That’s because they are discriminative little sods, since when does higher emissions apply to parking either?? As bonkers as they’re local and National leaders. Then they do self proclaim to be “wacky”… Whistle Rolling with laughter

It’s to discourage more polluting cars from driving into the city🤷‍♂️
Post #1021594 17th Jan 2024 10:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>