Home > General & Technical (L663) > Speed Limiter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Speed Limiter
I thought that i would share this.

On the A3 north bound between a petrol station and the start of a 50mph section due to road works ive always noticed on my wife's Velar the road speed indicator drops from 70mph to 10mph, before going to 50 once at the road works.

I've often wondered what would happen if i set the Speed Limiter in advance of this section to see what would happen.

As no one was close today i gave it a try......so one moment I'm driving along at 70 then the vehicle begins to brakes, not hard but you cant accelerate out of it should another vehicle come up behind you at a rate of knots.

At 59mph i switched it off to get back to 70.

That is a potential accident in waiting.....At least it can be controlled by the driver, can you imagine what could happen if it was mandatory.....

I had something similar in Cornwall where the road has a 50mph speed limit with average speed cameras. in the middle for about fifty feet it thinks its a 30mph zone.

As its a 2022 Velar with the current Privi Pro has anyone else experience this?
Post #981143 3rd Feb 2023 7:09pm
tooslo964

Wales 
Had this happen on our defender. Happily doing 70 on a dual carriage way. There was a parallel road to us and we must have picked up a 30mph from that as we suddenly started to brake. Fortunately I could take over before the causing major issue with following traffic.
I also had an occasion when driving on a 60mph A road, no speed limiter involved, but the car suddenly decided we where going collide, with only what I could assume was a car parked in a layby, very heavy braking, following traffic most concerned with finger signals and horns.
Don't get me on to headlights dipping for every house it sees , resorted to that on manual now
No way on earth is this technology ready, unless maybe you live in a city !
Apparently it's called progress, or to gradually force us away from driving
Post #981154 3rd Feb 2023 8:20pm
Nick-St

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I've had this with our VW - it picked up a sign from somewhere on the motorway and started braking from 70 down to 30 for no reason! Obviously as soon as you touch the pedal it stops braking, but it's pretty disconcerting!! I turned off that 'feature'!
Post #981157 3rd Feb 2023 8:26pm
Tim in Scotland

After the last software update my car tells me that this is no longer available periodically - I’ve never used it anyway. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #981223 4th Feb 2023 1:16pm
J77

Scotland 
Yeah I get, though only tells me via the Pivi screen, bus as with you I never use it. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #981232 4th Feb 2023 2:23pm
whiterdesign

United Kingdom 
Same with me , happens on a regular basis, but also found that the map info can be the problem. I had a volvo before and both that and the defender use Here maps. There is a stretch of road near me which is a thirty limit with no 20 signs anywhere about. My volvo used to suddenly slow down to 20 for no apparent reason , thought that was over until driving the defender and it did the same thing. 110 XS 250 MY 23 Gondwana Stone, Cold climate pack and towbar
Post #981245 4th Feb 2023 4:19pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Speed limiter has been like this for as long as remember

However if you stamp the accelerator to the floor, it will over-ride the speed limiter, it’s a feature Mike
Post #981259 4th Feb 2023 6:21pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Not quite what i started the post as but this in an interesting read.

https://theintercept.com/2023/01/10/tesla-...autopilot/
Post #981283 4th Feb 2023 9:25pm
County V8

United Kingdom 
I live on a de restricted country lane (60mph) some one stuck a 30 mph sticker on their wheelie bin caused chaos until the Police made them remove it.
Good luck with technology .
Post #981303 5th Feb 2023 12:38am
San Marco

Germany 
I was always wondering, why Land Rover has an adaptive speed limiter (adjusting max. speed according to traffic signs) but doesn’t use this feature within ACC (adaptive cruise control), while other companies do. After your statements this unexpected behaviour might be even more critical on ACC, where you‘re likely off the pedal - so overriding takes just a few seconds more, what might be too much in some cases… so far my theory… what’s your thoughts on this? Is there any official information why JLR is not using speed recognition for ACC?

cheers guys!
Post #1007441 12th Sep 2023 11:57pm
zilch

Australia 
During handover, the sales guy had the best recommendation, switch speed limiter off, which we did.,
Avoids applying the brakes when it sees advisory speed limits or picking up other signs on the side of the road for things like car park entrances etc.. yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #1007445 13th Sep 2023 5:06am
lightning

United Kingdom 
l am not sure my base specification 90 Commercial even has the speed limiter feature. lt has on one occasion done an emergency stop while l was turning right, fortunately nobody behind me, obviously didn't like the look of the car coming the other way.
Post #1007450 13th Sep 2023 8:00am
RDR

United Kingdom 
The feature is a bad idea I had a VW and Cupra with it and they were worse at handling it than JLR cars. My RR seems to be worse (or more sensitive) than the current 110 loaner it picks up speed signs off the back lorries which is a problem. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #1007451 13th Sep 2023 8:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1