↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Events > Show 9th / 10th September ??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
That sounds like complete confussion.

Cheer up though, at least the beer was cheap - but it wasn’t.

Did they have an off road course, and if so, was it any good?
Post #1007154 10th Sep 2023 10:24pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
nothing was cheap and the food stalls were not busy as no one could pay as the card machines didn't work without 4g or phone service

im told the off road course was tame but didn't go and look as it was miles away.

heck they didn't even tell you about the castle or if you could go view it etc.

im told the show is booked in the same place next year already.

wonder if they will cut the grass or find a flatter field..

almost forgot about the parachute folk dropping on friday pm ad blocking the entrance way with cars and spectators...
Post #1007157 10th Sep 2023 10:29pm
Bows

Wales 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
I camped for the weekend, and i won’t be going again. It had very little to offer a Land Rover enthusiast. Live promotions seem to think that we all love the ultra4 “monster truck” show they put on repeat for the duration of the show, around 8 times over the weekend. The vehicles involved had no resemblance to Land Rover at all and overall , it only succeeded in portraying itself and the Land Rover brand as anti social and environmentally archaic. To add to the anti social aspect of the action, they decided that some surprise fireworks were required, zero warning! and to such a degree that many dogs bolted free from their owners and children could be seen crying and shaking with fear. I was sipping my £7 can of thatchers at the time ant the bar next to the arena, and the bar shook from the loud banging. It was all very unnecessary to be honest.
I would be far more interested in seeing a parade of series vehicles from the clubs attending, through to latest of what Land Rover have to offer, just like the good old days. The traders were friendly and welcoming but on the whole, a lof of the products on offer also had limiting revelance to the Land Rover brand.
I’m sure a lot of people enjoyed the show and I accept that , but for me , calling it a Land Rover show was border line trade description breach.
The campsite was the best part of the show, full of land rovers and enthusiasts enjoying what we love.
Which isn’t always neon lighting, straight through exhaust and a 4” lift kit.
Sorry for the negative post, I love the show scene and wish it well for the future, but for the reasons given, I’ve scrapped this one from the calendar. 2006 TD5110 station wagon
1995 300Tdi 90 truck cab
1989 90 hard top with 200 tdi
1983 110 hard top
1983 110 Hi cap
1954 107 pick up
Post #1007161 10th Sep 2023 11:21pm
paul 123

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Caledonian Blue
we decided by about 10.30 Saturday that we were not going next year.
Post #1007168 11th Sep 2023 6:32am
Kiter25

Scotland 
I was a bit gutted I wasn't able to attend but reading this quite glad now was going to be an expensive trip just getting down south, never mind everything else. Cross it off the list for the future too. Our local music festival gone way downhill too after it was 'bought'out by a big event company. Just all about maximum profit now. 23my p400e x dynamic hse, fuji white, towing pack, comfort and convenience, e diff, activity key, 3 zone climate, cold climate and a host of accessories. Now gone.
Post #1007170 11th Sep 2023 7:25am
jim4244

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Hmmmm..... some interesting and disparaging comments.

I almost turned down a work assignment overseas to go to this but I'm glad that I didn't now.

Jim

Last edited by jim4244 on 11th Sep 2023 10:41am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1007172 11th Sep 2023 7:32am
Rashers

If there was no 4G signal for the card machines to work, I would assume that many of the smaller retailers will not return, and the Castles venue is somewhat challenged for future events.it must of crippled the food retailers as a large proportion of people don’t carry cash in large amounts now.

The grass situation is maybe an insurance issue. With Peterborough showground, it had grounds staff who kept the area regularly cut so it is almost lawn. When you put something on in what is basically a field, long green grass is preferable to large clumps of drying cut grass. Not sure what would happen if we had been through three months of sunshine and it had all gone brown and crispy ? There was a festival a few years back where dozens of cars were incinerated after a fire on a field car park.

From what has been said, I’m glad I didn’t bother going.

I agree entirely with Bows comments on monster trucks. I know kids love them but what relevance do these have to Land Rovers ? I think from the comments this sounds like it was a poorly thought out, poorly managed money grabbing event relying on the memories of a defunct magazine.
Post #1007173 11th Sep 2023 7:39am
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
I am kind of glad i missed it from what I have read here. I was down in Kent for a wedding and it just so happened that it was the same weekend as LRO Show... from these comments it sounds like I had a lucky escape.

I did make it to *A* show though... Leaving on Sunday morning we spotted a show in Edenbridge so we went there instead. £5pp to get in, £5 per vehicle + occupants if prebooked for those showing. Maybe we should get a Defender2.net stand going to that one next year instead Very Happy

If the venue itself (by the sounds of things) was also an issue regarding Signal, Grass condition etc, they could consider Burghley House in Stamford instead - thats where a lot of Top Gear/Grand Tour off road vehicles get tested, or is the end destination for a Cross Country 4x4 "race".
Post #1007177 11th Sep 2023 8:31am
Rashers

It is a job finding venues. The Norfolk Showground up the road from me had a vintage vehicle show for the last few years. This year the Showground couldn’t give the organisers a weekend to stage it because of other bookings so it hasn’t gone ahead.

Last weekend (I think?) were the Horse Trials at Burghley (not sure if the horses were found guilty or not - sorry old joke) but that might have an effect on staging something on the same site the weekend after?

I think the Newark Showground is still available and hasn’t been built on - yet. These events are a business, out there to make money, so the price to hire the venue must be an enormous decision when looking for venues. I suppose a field is cheaper than a Showground.
Post #1007178 11th Sep 2023 9:10am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Does anyone else think the £25 gate fee plus a parking charge was a bit much? I don't recall what it used to be, but just made me take notice when I saw it. That's one of the things that put me off.

I appreciate there was a book in advance discount.

I should add, to balance this thread there seems to be plenty of positive comments from both traders and enthusiasts on the socials. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1007179 11th Sep 2023 9:19am
Mdm

United Kingdom 
i think the layout was poor with things to spread out and no map showing where companies or clubs where.

the lack of seating and shade for the arena made it impossible to watch anything beyond the bit at the front.this was one of the big draws at the old lro show.

the lads in the arena did a great job as alway and the commentary was good.

there wasn't much in the way of crowd protection if a vehicle had an issue and went off course.

at events like tankfest they run a water bowser around the track before its used (on and off all day) to keep the dust down and aid viewing.

a lot of folk missed the rebuild tents and regular features of the old show as well.
Post #1007183 11th Sep 2023 10:00am
Rashers

Bluest wrote:
Does anyone else think the £25 gate fee plus a parking charge was a bit much? I don't recall what it used to be, but just made me take notice when I saw it. That's one of the things that put me off.

Yes, Bluest, I do, but being Devils advocate, I don’t blink buying a couple of Lattes and cakes in Costa and blowing £14 so should I be so upset at paying £25 to get into a show?

But that is the same price to get into the Royal Norfolk Show which I assume is a lot larger (but has less Land Rovers)
Post #1007188 11th Sep 2023 10:23am
AJC

United Kingdom 
my first LRO show, great time had by all
2nd one, toylander was stolen
3rd one, fireworks and arguments next to my tent through to 1-2am was last straw

never been back since, did think about doing the day trip there this year, kind of glad i didn't now.

thing is if everyone took this approach, it'll get to the stage where no shows exist so they do kinda need supporting or they'll fizzle out
Post #1007203 11th Sep 2023 12:17pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
i have to agree a lot of the folks put a lot of effort in to make it fun for visitors. john lawn and the arena team jj on the commentary and many more but it was such as waste this year as you couldn't see most of it from the fence and it needed some temporary stands .
Post #1007208 11th Sep 2023 12:40pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Looks like the firework display caused a bit of bother. Belvoir Castle have had to issue an apology on their FB page, saying that the show organisers didn't notify them. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1007238 11th Sep 2023 3:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>