↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2.2 black smoke
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
PumaPhil

Wales 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Aintree Green
2.2 black smoke
I have another thread (2.2 tappet noise) detailing my rattly 2.2 engine and the final solution of a replacement brand new stripped Ford engine. This has around 6000 miles on it now and has been running perfectly except that it is occasionally producing black smoke. As I pull away from standstill I can see a whiff of smoke in the mirror, and it is also noticeable when working hard (pulling a heavy trailer for example). My 200TDI does exactly the same and is to be expected on an old diesel, but the now dead 2.2 engine in this ran squeaky clean before the swap. The tail pipe and left rear mud flap are also showing signs of soot which I have never had on this car before.

The fuel pump and injectors are off the old engine, The injectors were tested and shown to be perfect ~ 10’000 miles ago when trying to diagnose the old engines rattle.

It is running a stage 2 BAS map. As was the old engine. I will try switching back to standard and re installing the map.

New oil, fuel and air filter with the new engine and I have just changed these again.

Where else should I start looking? I’m worried of over-fuelling and damaging a new engine.
Post #1005966 30th Aug 2023 9:46pm
Marks Landy

United Kingdom 1985 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Java Black
I would talk to Pete at BAS first..

Just out of curiosity who did you get your replacement engine from? I didn’t think they were available from JLR or Ford.
Post #1006002 31st Aug 2023 10:40am
BrickBox

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Do you still have the DPF in place? 2008 2.4 110 Utility XS.
Post #1006015 31st Aug 2023 12:45pm
PumaPhil

Wales 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Aintree Green
I will give BAS a call to see if they can point me in the right direction of what the problem could be. DPF is still in place. The whole exhaust system is standard original, as is the intake system and intercooler.

The engine came from https://www.vitesse-ltd.com/collections/vitesse-engines and I can highly recommend them. It is a genuine Ford engine, with a Defender spec sump fitted.
Post #1006072 31st Aug 2023 7:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1