↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Discovery 300Tdi auto FiP...converting to non electronic?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Discovery 300Tdi auto FiP...converting to non electronic?
Wonder if anyone can help...

A good friend of mine has a very beaten up disco 300Tdi on his farm (just used as a hack really) but he had an underbonnet "releasing of the smoke from the Lucas cables" (aka a small fire) which has melted the brake master cyl, part of the glowplug timer and what looks like the ECU (is it under the bonnet? in front of the brake master cyl? I've not done much on discoveries so don't know where it's situated)

It's an auto disco, so has the semi electronic mechanical FiP. Has the normal 12v fuel cut off solenoid but also a side mounted cover with 7 or 8 cables going into it which dissapear off into the main engine harness.

His mechanic friend has removed whatever the ECU was (I guess it was all melted anyway) leaving a bunch of black wires...joy. I know from my defender Tdi the spider unit had all black wires (obviously to make it difficult to bypass as you don't know what's what)

So does anyone know (PM me if it's better to save putting it publicly) if there's a way to do away with the electronic parts, or is it a case of swapping the whole FiP to a non electronic one? (and tweeking the fuelling to give it better power than even the "electronic" one had?

Cheers all
Post #1004181 15th Aug 2023 9:28am
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
You will need non EDC pump, throttle cable, the kick down cable should go to the injection pump but you should be able to rig something from the original KD linkage.
Post #1004192 15th Aug 2023 10:51am
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Can you not Bypass that style of pump Linds? It’s a long time since I messed with one, but I thought you could run these like the old style one wire, it’s the full EDC pump you can’t?
Post #1004218 15th Aug 2023 12:16pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Linds Hanson wrote:
You will need non EDC pump, throttle cable, the kick down cable should go to the injection pump but you should be able to rig something from the original KD linkage.

Thanks Linds, i thought it was something along these lines. the elctronic bit it too far integrated in the mechical pump I think to be able to totally remove it.
Post #1004234 15th Aug 2023 1:43pm
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
NickMc wrote:
Can you not Bypass that style of pump Linds? It’s a long time since I messed with one, but I thought you could run these like the old style one wire, it’s the full EDC pump you can’t?
Yes Discovery 300tdi auto had EDC pump only RRC ran manual pump and auto.
Post #1004256 15th Aug 2023 4:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1