Home > Technical > Noisy Td5 Fuel Pump
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mungopark

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Noisy Td5 Fuel Pump
Evening everyone.

I have been deliberating quite hard about a fuel pump that has got noisier over the last year. From a historic gentle whine to a much louder whine we are experiencing now.

Although difficult to describe, I would not say it’s shrill or gurgling, just a louder pump noise.

Now I could replace the fuel pump, but upon reading this may be a symptom of deeper issues with injector seals causing cavitation in the pump …. ?

One thing that does provide credence to the above, is that when priming the engine prior to starting, or if I put it in prime mode (press accelerator 5/6 times) the pump sounds as you would expect. Once the engine is up and running the note changes after a few seconds to a louder more high pitched one.

I could work through the obvious first, fuel filter ect. But I don’t want to drop the tank and spend £250 on a pump for it to be a symptom and not the issue.

Edit: Old girl has 160k miles on her and runs like clockwork, no other symptoms of seals such as rising oil levels or poor running.

Any thoughts, greatly welcome.
Post #1001460 23rd Jul 2023 9:27pm
Will.I.AM

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Kaikoura Stone
I have been throguh this sage recently. It could well be the pump but there are two things you can do to check that it is the pump. Get somone to pressure the fuel pressure coming up to the engine - should be around 4bar.

also, check the small 'in-hose' filter gauze as this can block up and cause the pump to make a noise. Defender 130 HCPU TD5
Post #1001477 24th Jul 2023 7:52am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Before starting, voltage for the pump is 12V, after start is a bit over 14V. This means, motor in pump is running faster and noise changes. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #1002098 28th Jul 2023 4:35pm
Mungopark

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Thanks everyone, I will look to get a pressure tester on the fuel line and get filters changed as a first step. Currently battling through a catchy harvest so may be a while....
Post #1002109 28th Jul 2023 5:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1