↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Temporary power loss going full power up incline
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Matti-Iceland

Temporary power loss going full power up incline
2007 2,4 TdCi Puma. When going full throttle up a long steep incline with 500kg camper in tow it suddenly looses power, engine revs slowly, no response when pushing the throttle, bleeds speed for 15-20secs. Suddenly kicks back to power. No sputtering or abnormal exhaust. Feels like fuel starvation, not sure though. No warning lights and water temp OK. Turbine hoses checked. Changed fuel lids to ensure ventilation in fuel tank. Any suggestions to the problem?
Thx in advance
Post #1000911 19th Jul 2023 11:44pm
Swollock

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
I had an almost identical situation when towing my caravan up an incline, mine was a cheap fuel filter that I had fitted restricting the fuel flow. Fitted genuine or at least quality ones since then and not had the problem again. 2008 Defender 110 XS CSW
Volvo S60 T8
Triumph 1200 Rally Explorer
G0UBX
Post #1000922 20th Jul 2023 6:34am
Polarismd

United Kingdom 
Questions....
Hi,

Has your Puma had an engine remap? If so, you should change the thermostat. There are two options, one for UK normal temps and one for hotter climates (I am away at the moment and forget the opening temps). I had the same issue last year.

On here somewhere is a description of the problem from someone in Europe. They went through lots of solutions and finally found this one. The explanation is that the remap causes the engine to run hotter than normal, causing the ECU to briefly put the Air Conditioning fan on. This brings the temp down quite quickly.

Since installing the new thermostat I no longer have the problem when towing my caravan, yet last year on motorway grinds and up some of the hills in the peak district, I had the same issue.

I am not sure why the earlier opening thermostat makes this difference as you would expect it to be fully open already - or it could just be that the older thermostat wasn't opening properly (I did test mine, and it did appear to open fully at the right temp, albeit suddenly, when I expected it to be a gradual open).

Chris

PS - I had no idea my Landy was remapped until I took it to a diagnostic centre. So that's another issue to look out for if yours is a recent purchase as it affects insurance.
Post #1000933 20th Jul 2023 9:25am
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Re: Temporary power loss going full power up incline
Matti-Iceland wrote:
2007 2,4 TdCi Puma. When going full throttle up a long steep incline with 500kg camper in tow it suddenly looses power, engine revs slowly, no response when pushing the throttle, bleeds speed for 15-20secs. Suddenly kicks back to power. No sputtering or abnormal exhaust. Feels like fuel starvation, not sure though. No warning lights and water temp OK. Turbine hoses checked. Changed fuel lids to ensure ventilation in fuel tank. Any suggestions to the problem?
Thx in advance

The Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor will kick in and drasticly reduce power if it senses overheating.

Annoyingly it has no relationship to the Temp. Gauge and does not throw a fault code.

It causes the engine to behave exactly as you describe.

When I had this problem 200 fast motorway miles were covered with no problem. Turning off the motorway into traffic caused sudden power loss recovering shortly after.

My problem was a pin hole leak in the radiator, under load the water level was just low enough for the CHT sensor to activate, at a steady speed the airflow kept the engine cool.

If this is the problem simply topping up the coolant will solve it. If it does a thorough check/overhaul of the cooling system would be a good idea.

Good luck Thumbs Up Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #1001022 20th Jul 2023 7:30pm
110nut

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
The first thing I would check is a split intercooler
Post #1001774 25th Jul 2023 8:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1